Why Is Football Called Soccer?

RedBaird

I think it's because at what we call (us European) Football , people from Usa, Canada , and Japan are not very good...

Soccers ====> Suckers :huh:.   Depends of the accent i think  :P 

Perhaps the beginning of ur answer :lol:

goes back to late 1800's early 1900's when 'football' transformed from rugby into americanized football, or something to that affect, and somehow the name stuck because americans hated the name armpitball lol.

similar question, why is cricket called cricket...when they dont play with crickets

• Like 2

• Leader

usa is just crazy calling something football where they mostly use their hands and body :P

It seems that North American "football" has evolved from the ancestor game where the feet were more involved.

This would seem to imply that Soccer has not evolved very much.  :D  

laugh-sound.htm

Always thought the american football was called like that as to make reference to the fact that you need to use your foot (run) to go forward in game and win points, its true hands and body is used too, so there you got a debate.

• Leader

I find the whole topic highly amusing!  It is like a difference in slang between countries.  

• Like 1