Windows 10 Using all Bandwidth?

A_Snake

Okay, I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to Windows 10 form Windows 7.  At first I had some minor issues so small I can't remember what they were, but I assure you it was nothing to worry about and obviously were fixed quickly. Then later came this issue of not being able to play the game because all my bandwidth was being sucked dry.  I don't have much to begin with due to the lack of a decent ISP, but I have just enough to play my game without a problem.

So, opening the Task Manager and then going to Performance I could see these large spikes on my Ethernet connection.  I then opened my Resource Monitor (link at the bottom of the performance page of Task Manager) and watched the Network tab to see what was working the hardest at taking up my bandwidth.  What I found was that a program named svhost.exe(netsvcs) was transferring all kinds of data in and out.  Some quick research found that this is a program that runs in the back ground to update Windows files. Its actual description is listed as follows:

Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the service is disabled, then any applications that depend on BITS, such as Windows Updates or MSN Explorer, will be unable to automatically download programs and other information.

Okay, well I just uploaded Windows 10 and have all my updates I don't need this thing hijacking my internet to the point of not even being able to surf the web or play my games. So how do you stop it.  This is easy.  Follow the steps below:

Open Control Panel

Search for Administrative Tools and open it

Look for Services and open it

Look for the file named: Background Intelligent Transfer Services

Right click on this and select stop

With this you'll stop the program from running, but the next soft or hard boot it will start all over again.  So go a little further with these steps:

Right click on the file, select Properties

On the General tab

Under Startup Type select Manual

The Service Status should = Stop

Select Apply

Select Ok

This will allow the file to run only when you want it to by manually starting it.

Since I've done this I have no more robbed bandwidth and can play may game with no problems.

• Like 4

Okay, well I just uploaded Windows 10 and have all my updates I don't need this thing hijacking my internet to the point of not even being able to surf the web or play my games.

I suggest you also these 2 extra tools then. I use them since I upgraded to Win10 at its release last year. And they always worked great so far.

https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?72686-Spybot-Anti-Beacon-for-Windows-10

https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/releases

• Like 1

This was an unannounced update that MS did to Win8 and even more with Win10.  This service is used to make sure all those APPS, they are so proud of, constantly maintain connection with

their supplier.  I don't use apps and I removed all the pre-installed Win10 apps after I read a story about this. 

I dont have a problem with my ISP about bandwidth at 30/30 but I still don't want these apps communicating all the time.  So I did the stop thing.

Now if you use any MS product that is actually an app,  like Office,  you cant do this or you will get these aggravating messages all the time coming in from the right hand of the screen.

I forgot one thing.  Stopping this service will affect the automatic Windows Update feature.

Edited by Ol' Smoke

• 2 months later...

Other than stealing your private info and what ever ... Windows 10 is $#i!

MS did not wait Windows 10 to do that.. They do it since years and many OS's. You were only not aware. In your opinion, why some people stick with older MS OS's or stick\move to Linux.

• Platinum VIP

People act like MS is some devil for collecting info. Ever heard of Google? Bing? Firefox? Netflix? Pandora?

You don't think everything you log into is tracking you?

• Like 1

People act like MS is some devil for collecting info. Ever heard of Google? Bing? Firefox? Netflix? Pandora?

The thing with MS is, I PAY for the product and get my info stolen. With Google I don´t pay for the product and with the tracked info I get 99% of the time answers I search for and sometimes the commercials on products I was just searching for. FF, u can turn it off(health reports etc) afaik.

With MS I PAY for that they come to my house and steal my things and get back nothing.

With Google I send my data to get service I NEED.

• Like 1

MS did not wait Windows 10 to do that.. They do it since years and many OS's. You were only not aware. In your opinion, why some people stick with older MS OS's or stick\move to Linux.

I never said it wasn't something m$hit didn't do in ALL(yes no joke!) their OS's butt since version 10.x of their OS things have got blatantly worse. Ever wonder why their is special Chinese edition created especially for that country? It's because the Chinese government(whom themselves enforce backdoors into hardware produced in china so you can bet your shiny new router or even toaster might have some kind sneaky chip system built into it) who aren't new to this crap basically said m$ can't distribute their crappy system unless they had access to the backdoor and a custom version too! Don't believe what I say, do some serious research and you will be surprised what you find.

99% of American companies do this by law. Not everyone complies. Look at the Lavabit case.

• Like 1

do some serious research and you will be surprised what you find.

lol I already did all this long time ago and keep tracking every news, so don't worry I'm perfectly aware.. But I stand my opinion. Yes Win10 is no doubt the worst of all the OS's made by MS about it. But ain't new. Still, why complain or even buy it if you want to keep the privacy of your datas. There's a lot of alternatives nowadays (much much than there was in the past) in order to avoid that such things happen. For my part, I don't care that they inspect every corner of my pc, what I browse or even make a marketing profil to sell to companies.. nothing to hide. I simply disable (for those doable) their trackers and services collecting datas, because they amputate me bandwidth, make my connection unstable and use the ressources of my hardware. For the rest meh.. The privacy disappeared a while ago now, and this includes much more than only your pc.

lol I already did all this long time ago and keep tracking every news, so don't worry I'm perfectly aware.. But I stand my opinion. Yes Win10 is no doubt the worst of all the OS's made by MS about it. But ain't new. Still, why complain or even buy it if you want to keep the privacy of your datas. There's a lot of alternatives nowadays (much much than there was in the past) in order to avoid that such things happen. For my part, I don't care that they inspect every corner of my pc, what I browse or even make a marketing profil to sell to companies.. nothing to hide. I simply disable (for those doable) their trackers and services collecting datas, because they amputate me bandwidth, make my connection unstable and use the ressources of my hardware. For the rest meh.. The privacy disappeared a while ago now, and this includes much more than only your pc.

Amen

im just waiting hockey season to be over (cuz i watch it via computer, and i dont wanna start to play with things and mess them up) and then gonna install linux

• Like 1

I've noticed last couple of months i get pop ups saying your firewall protection has been turned off even when ive checked it does not show so, its still been happening even though i tryin a premium version of malwarebytes, so thanks for the links i'll given them a try.