USB detection issue

Aniky

Basically yday i have got a friend's pc over just to do a simple format and freshen it up a little bit, as it was getting pretty slow and laggy, but after loading Win8 on it, i had some odd issue which i didn't really encounter before as of yet. Any of the USB ports weren't able to detect USB mouse that i plugged in, so i thought it was my mouse that was problem, checked with USB headphones or a simple USB stick, both ended up as non recognizeable so it's kind of odd that the USB ports aren't working properly.

I have tried to download HP drivers, but either they dont work or i didnt download correct ones, so i wonder, has anyone encounter that problem before already?

I tested as well, with changing the os to Win XP, as the basic one, but even that didn't help, cursor showed, but mouse wasn't detected, so i assume i need to upload some USB drivers to make it work properly. I do not have any CD's to install any drivers from the PC, so it's all down to search anything useable over inet.

The pc im talking about is HP Pavilion Slimline

157038-hp-pavilion-slimline-s3020n-pc-to

I guess now that i know OS isn't the issue, i could just format it back to Win8 and try to find somehow proper drivers from their main site, just thought at other side, i would ask here in case anyone has had this issue before or know any solutions for it.

Did you check in the bios? There should be settings to enable or disable usb ports. And sometimes, a simple reset on the default settings helps to fix some issues.

Edited by Ann!b@l

Did you check in the bios? There should be settings to enable or disable usb ports. And sometimes, a simple reset on the default settings helps to fix some issues.

Only thing in bios was to disable/enable/autodetect ps2 port, thats bout it, bios options were very limited, might try to restore bios settings to see if that would help.

I know is a pain to tab to device manager..to check USB and mouse settings there..also has scan new hardware changes reset.option in there...don't know if help but I'm out of other thoughts

I know is a pain to tab to device manager..to check USB and mouse settings there..also has scan new hardware changes reset.option in there...don't know if help but I'm out of other thoughts

Tried that and tried to update every driver that was there for usb ports, sadly without any success.. tried now as well to restore bios settings and seems that didnt help as well, will format it back to win8 and try to scan it via their site for drivers/hardware.

I had a similar issue with my new logitech headset and mouse some weeks back. they got recognized but didnt work.

The thing that helped me was to get rid of all USB drivers in the device manager. Right click and uninstall.

then reboot and plug back in.

I hope this helps you

USB.jpg

here's a link to the specific pc you're working on http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-pavilion-Slimline-s3000-Desktop-PC-series/3376322/model/3376323/drivers There is an auto detect to help you find the specific drivers for your machine, there are no listed drivers for windows 8, but generic usb drivers should have been installed during installation.  If the auto detect does not find any drivers for windows 8, try installing the windows 7 drivers. They are similar by design and may get your ports back up. Let me know if this helps.

I had a similar issue with my new logitech headset and mouse some weeks back. they got recognized but didnt work.

The thing that helped me was to get rid of all USB drivers in the device manager. Right click and uninstall.

then reboot and plug back in.

I hope this helps you

USB.jpg

Hum interesting, might try that, as that's probably only thing left to test.

here's a link to the specific pc you're working on http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-pavilion-Slimline-s3000-Desktop-PC-series/3376322/model/3376323/drivers There is an auto detect to help you find the specific drivers for your machine, there are no listed drivers for windows 8, but generic usb drivers should have been installed during installation.  If the auto detect does not find any drivers for windows 8, try installing the windows 7 drivers. They are similar by design and may get your ports back up. Let me know if this helps.

I have used their main "identify now" tool that basically auto detects which model of HP PC is and auto updates everything, but it still didnt recognize the USB ports regardless of trying to add a new hardware or just updating. I tried with some old mouse i found that i had laying around, with PS2 port and that actually managed to recognize it and show it under the list of plugged devices, but the only thing that worked there was right and left button, cursor wasnt moving at all, would probably have to try with some different PS2 mouse and see if the issue is the same, but the USB ports would still be a problem which as till now, hasn't been solved yet.

Try iobit drive booster. It founds some drivers windows do not recognize on an old laptop!

It has a paid and free version, but the free version works like a charm.

Try iobit drive booster. It founds some drivers windows do not recognize on an old laptop!

It has a paid and free version, but the free version works like a charm.

Will try that, since i literally ran out of every other option, deleted USB ports from Device manager, did tons of windows updates and so on without any luck. Kind of running out of options as to what it could possibly be, since everything was already tested and still seems USB ports are not recognizing any of the USB devices that i plug in.

hmm, I had similar problem, then I downloaded a file from microsoft site which fixed the issue , its : microsoftfixit50407 .

P.S. : I do  have little knowledge of pc so yes I tried everything , with do this do that , nothing worked, this thing only worked .. and yes it worked and that's why I stopped looking for more help.

Edited by yoyo

if it is one port and it doesn't recognize any USB devices, maybe check if it has a loose end on the mainboard.

Is it one of the front panel use port or is it one directly on the backside of the mainboard?

not that it is one of these bad boys. maybe switch them around:

USB2.jpg

What is the actual brand, model, and revision of the motherboard in the Pavilion. I have plenty of experience with Northbridge Controller issues when it comes to the Pavilion Line models between 2007-2011.

if it is one port and it doesn't recognize any USB devices, maybe check if it has a loose end on the mainboard.

Is it one of the front panel use port or is it one directly on the backside of the mainboard?

not that it is one of these bad boys. maybe switch them around:

USB2.jpg

I use the back pannel for USB's since they re directly set up to mobo, considering the fact that i tested all 4 of it at the back and none worked properly, i don't think any of the connectivity is faulty here.

hmm, I had similar problem, then I downloaded a file from microsoft site which fixed the issue , its : microsoftfixit50407 .

P.S. : I do  have little knowledge of pc so yes I tried everything , with do this do that , nothing worked, this thing only worked .. and yes it worked and that's why I stopped looking for more help.

Will check it out, even tho, since i tried all of HP drivers and updates, i doubt it will help.

What is the actual brand, model, and revision of the motherboard in the Pavilion. I have plenty of experience with Northbridge Controller issues when it comes to the Pavilion Line models between 2007-2011.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01329179

That's the model of the HP, u have all the specs below at the link.

that is a tricky one... To be honest, i'm running a bit out of ideas. But i want to find out whats going on with these ports.

Not sure if anyone posted one of these ideas already, please excuse double posts...

Here the things i found on google for 'hp pavilion usb ports stopped working'

1.) USB ports not working on Pavilion G6 (original link)

Hi , can anyone help me with this issue regarding USB ports ?none of the USB ports on this machine are working .. I have tried some options  but the issue is not fixed .this is a pavilion g6 laptop 64 bit ,and i have recently upgraded to windows 8.1 ( after which the problem started actually ) .

He found a solution over the windows registry:

- USB Devices not working in Windows 8.1 / 10 (solution link)

2.) My notebook's USB ports stopped working (original link)

Just like that, the USB ports on my DV4-1435DX just upped and stopped.  I got messages that said that USB devices not recognized.  I tried uninistalling and reinstalling the drivers for the devices, thinking that somehow they were corrupted, but no go.  When I plug the USB devices (Logitech unifying receiver for my wireless keyboard and mouse and a Bluetooth adapter) into the docking station they work fine.

He found a solution over resetting the mainboard:

- I remove all the USB devices from the computer, turn it off and remove the battery and leave it for a bit. (solution link)

3.) USB port of HP laptop not working (original link)

suddenly all of my usb ports of HP pavilion g6 laptop stopped working. i was using 1 usb mouse and 1 external hard disk. but both of them are not working now.

He found a solution in a fixit tool from Microsoft:

- Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows (solution link)

4.) USB Problem - All devices (original link)

I've installed Windows on my laptop but I'm having problems with USB ports! On device manager, all ports are installed and drivers are up to date an working correctly but the main thing is Vista won't detect any of my USB devices!

He found a solution in fixing some .inf files in vista:

- This fix should be posted at the top so that people can find it.. I think most people are looking for this answer.. Dont know why the inf/pnf files would be missing though (solution link)

I hope one of these gets your USB ports back up.

• Like 1