Anime/Manga Recommendations

Nice thread, I should watch more anime :) up to now I watched only a few. Also that chart is amazing.

As regards manga, I have read just Elfen Lied ('read' is a big word, let's say 50% of the time looking at the page and 50% at the dictionary ^^). It's much longer than the anime (like 2x), and also the story and the ending is different.

btw, what about visual novels? Anyone has ever played/read some? I played Kanon and Clannad a bit (and also watched both anime, for Kanon obviously the newer one, not the old version), but you know, you can do many paths in visual novels so you need to play them lots of times to read every possible combination.

Actually, I couldn't have imagined that Kanon's visual novel was labeled 18+, the anime had none of that 'kind' of stuff... :D tbh, the visual novel as well, aside from some short scenes over a story that takes hours to read, and you can also skip them (I don't know if there's people who actually skip them lol)

like:

あゆ「…ひとりだと…不安だから…」

そう言って、涙を拭うあゆの仕草がいじらしかった。

1キスをする

2頭を撫でてやる

(meaning)

Ayu: "I felt anxious because I was alone"

while saying so, Ayu looked so innocent while wiping her tears

1 kiss her

2 stroke her head

if you pick #2 nothing happens. But who actually picks option #2 instead of #1?

You know how to read Japanese? You studied japanese to read visual novels which is amazing.

I've been waiting so long for somebody to talk Plastic Memories with ;~; You sir, have amazing taste :D Also, before I get to my thoughts, I'd like to say, you picked my favorite gif of the show too, so nice haha (full gif here: http://blog-imgs-64.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/qlF9BwH.gif) Ok, my thoughts (and to anyone who hasn't seen the show, the thoughts are basically "MY GOSH THIS STORY IS AMAZING" but there are spoilers, so beware!)

"If my lifespan was predetermined, I wonder how I would handle that?" This story took the thought that every human being has at one point had and made it into a reality. What would you do if you knew you were going to die soon? If you were in love, would you risk deeply hurting that person for your own happiness? Or would you barricade yourself from the outside world, not letting a soul into your heart? 

"Having happy and beautiful memories won't always bring you salvation. The more beautiful a memory is, the more painful it can become. It can even become terrifying. Both for the one who's leaving and for the one left behind..."

My favorite line from the entire show highlights that Isla wanted so much to make her last days memorable, but didn't want to risk hurting anyone else. She chose to bottle up her feelings in hopes that this way, Tsukasa wouldn't get hurt. But Kazuki made her realize that Tsukasa would feel hurt either way when the end came, so why make his last memories of her bad ones? 

"When you told me about your feelings, I thought that I shouldn’t make any more memories! Because we’ll only get torn apart and it would only make our parting more painful. Because as the one left behind, you’d be the one getting hurt! For your sake, above all else, I… I decided that I should stay away from you. That’s what I decided. And yet… I tried to imagine it. I wondered… how you would remember me in the future. Probably cold, lonely, and sad… only that version of me. You wouldn’t have anything good left to remember me by. And that’s not… that’s not what I want! What I want… Is to make more memories with you! I want you to remember that I was here!!! Until the end! Until the end…"

And so she realized that despite the pain and hardship that they were bound to face, the time they spent together was worth it. As the saying goes, "it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all". 

Up until the very end, Tsukasa never showed any sign of regret. He showed Isla the same love that he always had despite knowing that one day soon, she'd no longer be with him. We finally see how much pain he's going through in a few scenes:

1) The look of sadness as he turns away from the others at work (Michiru is the only one to notice). 

2) When Tsukasa must ask for Isla's permission to sign the retrieval form, he asks if she'd run away with him (this hurt to type...)

3) The Ferris Wheel scene; "That's the first time you let me see you cry..." (OH GOSH WHAT HAVE I DONE ;~~~~ ;)

In just these three scenes, we see that as much happiness as Tsukasa was given, he was given an equal amount of pain. But you know what? I think he's glad he did it. Not only for himself, but to see that up until the very last moment, that Isla was happy. Despite the pain, I don't see how he could regret that. 

I hope one day, we'll all be reunited with the people we cherish. 

This entire show, from beginning (seriously, best first episode I have ever seen) to end (my gosh, what a finale it was), had me at its mercy. I was happy for them when they were happy, and I felt so much pain when they weren't. The story was phenomenal, the characters were easy to relate to (and just look at how perfect those two were together), the message was beautiful, and I will recommend it to absolutely every one of my friends. Very few times do I find a story where I feel as though I had truly come out a different person, and this is one of them. Honestly, I have no shortage of good things to say, it was the best story I have ever heard. 

I got to see the first couple of episodes of Tokyo Ravens but I'm currently finishing other shows before I can go back, great show! Which was your favorite?

What did you think of Elfen Lied? I have the anime on my PTW, but I don't know when I'll get around to it. 

Heck yes VNs count! I haven't played a VN just yet, I'm awaiting the english translation of Angel Beats 1st Beat to release, then that will be my first. I have seen and loved Clannad, but haven't seen Kanon yet, would you recommend it? 

Yeah. I was recommending the anime to many of my friends. I watched when it first aired and it was sad having to wait for each episodes to be aired.

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

You know how to read Japanese? You studied japanese to read visual novels which is amazing.

well, I haven't put much effort into this, so I'm still a nub... I guess when it comes to difficult languages you have to really study. And I'm a lazy ass :)

Just to give you an idea, in that thing I pasted,

あゆ「…ひとりだと…不安だから…」

そう言って、涙を拭うあゆの仕草がいじらしかった。

1キスをする

2頭を撫でてやる

Words I had to look up: 仕草, いじらしい

Words I know, but I couldn't read them in kanji: 拭う, 撫でる

The rest of them I could both understand and read. Without a dictionary there isn't much I can do, because some passages are even more packed with unknown words.

But there are some tools to read visual novels with a dictionary, so I always prefer the original version and not the translated.

Sometimes I also read anime subs after I watch the anime, you can find a lot of subs in Japanese for anime here: http://kitsunekko.net/

What did you think of Elfen Lied? I have the anime on my PTW, but I don't know when I'll get around to it. 

Heck yes VNs count! I haven't played a VN just yet, I'm awaiting the english translation of Angel Beats 1st Beat to release, then that will be my first. I have seen and loved Clannad, but haven't seen Kanon yet, would you recommend it?

About Elfen Lied, some people say the manga is better, as for me I also liked the anime, even if it gets to more or less half of the manga, and then ends differently. (Also, if I remember correctly, the manga had a bit more violence and other stuff, plus some characters they didn't put in the anime)

Visually, it might not be as good as some more recent anime, but I think it's worth watching. In some anime there are sometimes parts where the story gets a bit boring, in this one (after you get into the story) I would say there is none. After all it's very short.

As regards Kanon, I've watched the 2006 version from Kyoto Animation (the same of Clannad, Suzumiya Haruhi...) and not the older 2002 version. If you liked Clannad and Angel Beats!, it's from the same author, and I think you will like it. The music is nice as well. As with the others, get some tissues at hand :D because there are some sad moments. Don't watch if you are depressed. :P

I didn't know there was a visual novel of Angel Beats, that's good news...

• Like 1

And by dictionary I hope you mean  http://jisho.org/? Really good site for that :D

I used to learn Japanese and learn the Kanjis/Vocabs with WaniKani. I got up to level 20...652 Kanjis and 1889 Vocabs. But then I realized it was a waste to continue cause I just never use it.

I know the basics for sentence making and can recognize alot of words/kanjis xD

• Like 2

Yeah. I was recommending the anime to many of my friends. I watched when it first aired and it was sad having to wait for each episodes to be aired.

Since I only started watching anime in April of this year, Plastic Memories was my first show that I had to wait every week for. Every week, I would watch every episode leading up to the new one (i.e. on week 7 I would watch episodes 1-7, on week 8 I would watch 1-8, week 9 I would watch 1-9, etc.) to make sure that I had the same feeling that I would have had if I were marathoning! In the end, I've seen most of the episodes many times, but I feel like the way I watched was perfect for me :D

About Elfen Lied, some people say the manga is better, as for me I also liked the anime, even if it gets to more or less half of the manga, and then ends differently. (Also, if I remember correctly, the manga had a bit more violence and other stuff, plus some characters they didn't put in the anime)

Visually, it might not be as good as some more recent anime, but I think it's worth watching. In some anime there are sometimes parts where the story gets a bit boring, in this one (after you get into the story) I would say there is none. After all it's very short.

As regards Kanon, I've watched the 2006 version from Kyoto Animation (the same of Clannad, Suzumiya Haruhi...) and not the older 2002 version. If you liked Clannad and Angel Beats!, it's from the same author, and I think you will like it. The music is nice as well. As with the others, get some tissues at hand :D because there are some sad moments. Don't watch if you are depressed. :P

I didn't know there was a visual novel of Angel Beats, that's good news...

I may have to pick up the manga then! I still think I'll watch the anime just to see how it compares, but I only just recently started reading manga, and so I'll need some new ones for when I finish the two I currently am working on! One of my friends said the same thing about the story, but I don't think that'll be an issue for me, I'm used to slow sections of story haha 

It's a Jun Maeda work, right? I've loved the stories he's put out so far (the currently airing one, Charlotte, I have high hopes for as well), so I imagined it would be similar to those :P Oh gosh, I can't wait now haha Something about a heart-breaking story, I just can't resist! I guess I just like stories that can make me experience the extremes of emotion! 

Angel Beats 1st Beat came out really recently (I think a month or so ago), but it's currently only in Japanese (if I recall correctly), so if you need it translated (like I do) it'll take a bit for the english subbed/dubbed version to come out. There are methods to continue playing without self-translation like online translators, but apparently they're not very accurate. Shame, I really want to play :/ 

I used to learn Japanese and learn the Kanjis/Vocabs with WaniKani. I got up to level 20...652 Kanjis and 1889 Vocabs. But then I realized it was a waste to continue cause I just never use it.

I know the basics for sentence making and can recognize alot of words/kanjis xD

That's really impressive! How long did it take you to learn so much? How often/how much did you devote to it a day?

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

And by dictionary I hope you mean  http://jisho.org/? Really good site for that :D

Many of those tools that grab text from visual novels are based on edict I think, because it's free.

jisho.org is good, but when I look up something online, I generally go to http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/and sometimes I go to http://www.weblio.jp/ when I want to get some sample sentences for a word or group of words. Or thesaurus.

Obviously in the JP/JP dictionaries you have more stuff, but that means I have also to look up words in the definition itself :D

Sometimes, when I am not sure about the meaning of something, I google for "blablabla" 英語 (= English) or "something something" 意味 (= meaning) and if I'm lucky I can get pages where people say how to say that in English, or they explain the meaning of that idiom in Japanese. This site http://www.webcorp.org.uk/live/is interesting when you want to know which words usually come near a given expression.

But then I realized it was a waste to continue cause I just never use it.

you can still change your mind later :)

• Like 1

Can't decide man I love all of these its way too hard!! All of these were best the emotions, fights, touching moments..... all were best

Because of holidays I watch anime throughout the day now

I also draw them :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...