Pluto, Planet? yes or no.

amberstarr

I think Pluto is a planet regardless of the size. It's like saying I have a large pencil and a small pencil. The small pencil isn't a pencil though because it is too small.

According to last research it's no planet like earth... mars etc..Yet they call it an "dwarf planet".

Pluto was discovered in 1930 by an astronomer from the United States. An astronomer is a person who studies stars and other objects in space.

Facts about Pluto I found:

- Pluto is more than 3.6 billion miles (5.8 billion kilometers) away from the sun. That is about 40 times as far from the sun as Earth.

- Pluto is only 1,400 miles (2,300 kilometers) wide. That's about half the width of the United States.

- Pluto was named by an 11-year-old girl from England.

But why Is Pluto Not Called a Planet Anymore?

In 2003, an astronomer saw a new object beyond Pluto. The astronomer thought he had found a new planet. The object he saw was larger than Pluto. He named the object Eris (EER-is).

Finding Eris caused other astronomers to talk about what makes a planet a "planet." There is a group of astronomers that names objects in space. This group decided that Pluto was not really a planet because of its size and location in space. So Pluto and objects like it are now called dwarf planets.

Pluto is also called a plutoid. A plutoid is a dwarf planet that is farther out in space than the planet Neptune. The three known plutoids are Pluto, Eris and Makemake (MAH-kee-MAH-kee). Astronomers use telescopes to discover new objects like plutoids.

Scientists are learning more about the universe and Earth's place in it. What they learn may cause them to think about how objects like planets are grouped. Scientists group objects that are like each other to better understand them. Learning more about faraway objects in the solar system is helping astronomers learn more about what it means to be a planet.

Answer: NO. Pluto is no planet anymore. :P

Source: Nasa

Edited by Motafied
  • Like 5

Thank Motafied for ruining the fun with his silly facts.

I guess we can lock this now :P (Joking)

But yes.. scientific facts always trump opinions. :)

Sorry, Had to say something. :P

Don't wanna look like a smartass ofc.... :embrass

The definition of the word planet is too ambiguous and will prolly not be the same in 5 years, so I think we'll never know exactly.

Planet.. Science doesn't make things right or wrong imo. As we grow and learn, and as tech changes and advances, scientific theories change and grow with them. 

Planet.. Science doesn't make things right or wrong imo. As we grow and learn, and as tech changes and advances, scientific theories change and grow with them. 

But Ph0enix doesn't make things right or wrong either!

Fact is, we rely on science to give us the answers to the questions we have. Without it, we'd all be clueless. But I can agree with you to some extent, even though science says something, it doesn't mean that it's the real answer, but it's the best thing we have, so we use it.

LOL Epic reply. +1

• Like 2

But Ph0enix doesn't make things right or wrong either!

Fact is, we rely on science to give us the answers to the questions we have. Without it, we'd all be clueless. But I can agree with you to some extent, even though science says something, it doesn't mean that it's the real answer, but it's the best thing we have, so we use it.

LOL Epic reply. +1

Haha you are right, I was just saying science gives us an estimated guess, probably the best answer, and best understanding. But at the same time, I can't rely on a group of smarties, to tell me what I should think or know.. But yes you are correct my friend :D

Pluto is pretty much part of the kuiper blet, which is full of large rocks.

We are an inhabited large rock in the scheme of things hehe

• Like 1