Need some chat about coding

fishdude

Not much activity in here. Who here is a coder?

I work for a large company out of my home doing C#.NET/MVC web development. We're pretty heavy on jQuery and also getting into WebAPI. Our main app is a single page application, which has it's challenges since we have such a large site. We're in the middle of a long-term rewrite, so part of the site is rewritten in MVC, and the rest of the site loads using the legacy webforms app.

I also have a lot of experience with PHP, and I especially like the CodeIgniter framework for that.

I really like Python, I just haven't been able to work with it that much. I had a contract job a few years ago that was working with a group that did a few things, and got to help write some test cases in Python. I helped make some improvements to someone else's Python project on Google code (https://code.google.com/p/myslacker/) It's a stand-alone player for Slacker Radio that works on Linux, since Slacker doesn't provide one themselves.

So who are our coders and what tools do you work with?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm still in school, but among other things I'm helping rewrite our current (incredibly shitty) department website using the Django framework. I'm enjoying it so far. I have also written a custom iPxe netboot solution in Python, with a backend in Perl (written by co-worker). Most of my schooling has been with C++/C though. I like both, and I pretty much hate looking at Perl :D

As for tools, I've only ever coded with Vim (using SPF13). I use GDB and Valgrind for debugging. Ofc, I code on Linux :D :D

I mostly program in c#.  My current job I work in the telco industry as a programmer for switches and data management.  In my spare time I play with unity.

I went to school for a computer science degree, they focused on java / c++ with java being the primary.  I have worked with a wide range of languages, assembly / ansi c / c++ / pascal / basic / c# / php / lisp / scheme / java / javascript

oops, forgot the tools.  Well, I use visual studio, it rocks, haven't found a better IDE.  I also use programmers notepad quite a bit to write sql

Edited by uncasid

• 3 weeks later...

I've been programming about 20 years now. Basic, Pascal, C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, JavaScript, SQL, some Tcl/Tk, some LISP, 80x86, Assembly, some Scheme. Trying to get better at Haskell. I tried Scala and disliked the syntax, though it has some incredibly powerful constructs. On the list to learn: Objective-C (not too hard), Go, and erlang.

Probably a few others. I actually can't keep them straight anymore. :)

I am currently the Chief Architect, Tech Lead, and Senior Software Engineer for a location-based service that we built primarily to help a large hardware company learn the ins-and-outs of software engineering. Excluding my product manager, I ride herd over 5 teams: backend team (for which I write code), a front end team, iOS team, Android team, and designers. We're in 3 different locations: East Coast, West Coast, and Taiwan. Languages and technologies we use: Python, Java, Objective-C, HTML5/JavaScript, Amazon Web Services, nginx, Postgresql+PostGIS extensions, RabbitMQ, Phonegap/Cordova, Backbone.js. Probably a few others. Point is, we do it all.

Tools of choice for me: Emacs or vim. Whichever is handy.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I work for a large company out of my home doing C#.NET/MVC web development. We're pretty heavy on jQuery and also getting into WebAPI. Our main app is a single page application, which has it's challenges since we have such a large site. We're in the middle of a long-term rewrite, so part of the site is rewritten in MVC, and the rest of the site loads using the legacy webforms app.

I also have a lot of experience with PHP, and I especially like the CodeIgniter framework for that.

I really like Python, I just haven't been able to work with it that much. I had a contract job a few years ago that was working with a group that did a few things, and got to help write some test cases in Python. I helped make some improvements to someone else's Python project on Google code (https://code.google.com/p/myslacker/) It's a stand-alone player for Slacker Radio that works on Linux, since Slacker doesn't provide one themselves.

What MVC Suite are you using, if any? There's PHP ones like Laravel and Symfony ( :D That's me ) and there's the microsoft ASP.NET MVC3 (I hear that's getting popular). I am writing my own PHP framework that uses MVC as much as possible while still being lightweight and flexible, I use it for projects for my customers.

I'm a PHP programmer mostly, but that generally encompasses a lot of HTML / CSS / JavaScript / jQuery / Ajax etc etc.  Used to be a hobby but now am the sole developer for a large retail security company.

I'm a PHP programmer mostly, but that generally encompasses a lot of HTML / CSS / JavaScript / jQuery / Ajax etc etc.  Used to be a hobby but now am the sole developer for a large retail security company.

I'm a developer at a Cisco company. I know a few languages but PHP is my main one.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm part of C++ projects. We're building an engine for a newly developed declarative programming language in those. We use CMake for our building and I personally use KDevelop as the IDE. I pondered going over to VIM, but I don't see that working with the size of the project that we have.

Part of our old codebase was written by someone that used VIM. As a consequence, there are too many source files that are simply too large (few k lines of code).

I also help teaching Prolog and Haskell.

Edited by Pepperonipizza

I don't see how using Vim would equal huge files, unless they're just lazy. You have tabs in Vim, which means you can have thirty files open at one time without trouble...

The only exception for me is Java - I use IntelliJ for that shit. (hate java). For work, I use JD-GUI, since we're not technically supposed to have access to the Sametime source code. Been teaching myself javascript lately, since our new product is web based, and I want to jump teams.

(I work in L2 Sametime support for IBM at the moment)

• 3 months later...

I am. 

C#.NET/MVC, Web API stack

C# WPF stack

Angular JAvascript

Vb6/ SQL

Few of the site are very large too and all run in SPA with angular back with either MVC or WebAPI or both.

What we did is instead of haviong a big SPA with heacy dependancies. We split it in domain subject ex: We have the Customer, it's his own SPA in Angular perspective os its' lighweight to oad and manage. He use MVC routing between SPA app and angular routing to move inside our SPA.

That way we get the best integration from c#/mvc (razor, code reuse, mostly codeless controller ) Robust testing, etc.

I'm still in school, but among other things I'm helping rewrite our current (incredibly shitty) department website using the Django framework. I'm enjoying it so far. I have also written a custom iPxe netboot solution in Python, with a backend in Perl (written by co-worker). Most of my schooling has been with C++/C though. I like both, and I pretty much hate looking at Perl :D

As for tools, I've only ever coded with Vim (using SPF13). I use GDB and Valgrind for debugging. Ofc, I code on Linux :D :D

Well pretty normal to look at Pearl and be disgust :)

Codig in Linux always felt ackward to me. I may have been spoiled by Visual studio and Resharper.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

i was just wondering what would be the best for beginners? i have only started coding and got the basics of HTML & CSS  but was wondering which is best to start with?

i was thinking of going into JS but am unsure, this is something i have always wanted to do but only have my spare time to learn it, so the easiest and quickest to learn is what i need.

any advise?

• Like 1