"Internet Explorer has stopped working...."

Ol Smoke

I have been getting this message lately.  When I click on any Internet program this message comes up. Disregard the IW3MP.exe notice.  I just tried that to see if it would work.

It will also say Internet Explorer  or email program.

15xvd3t.jpg

The only fix I have found is to restart the PC.  I have hot found any clear fix to this.  My AV company swears it is not a malware.

Have any of you been affected by this message??

Edited by Ol' Smoke

Potentially a bad add-on. When it happens, search for Event Viewer and check the Application logs. See if it lists anything in particular.

• Like 2

Have any of you been affected by this message??

Yeah. Normally just downloading/installing Google Chrome, or Firefox, fixes it :)

• Like 3

yes i hate Internet explorer is bad about add on  virus  auto downloading  with out you knowing it downloading something pop ups adds. on almost all sites  google chrome is the way to go firefox is okay  but boring has lag and runs lot more cpu's then most 

Potentially a bad add-on. When it happens, search for Event Viewer and check the Application logs. See if it lists anything in particular.

I did that but it never shows anything.  Microsoft is of no help on this. 

• Administrators

Run it with no-addons. Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no addons). Do you use any proprietary ISP software to connect to the internet? What do you mean any internet program? Please elaborate.

• Like 1

It happens when I try to log into the bank, into F|A, into COD4, or any other program that I have made a shortcut icon.  But, not just them. Just clicking on IE does it.

I have gotten rid of all add-ons. Reset IE 10.

But here is the weird thing.  It always starts after I have used xfire and then closed out xfire.The system was working fine after the first occurrence this morning.  I restarted and it all went away.

Then I went into COD4 and they had a hacker so I went onto xfire and DKMe and I found him and banned him.  I then exited out of the game and

xfire.  I went out and watched a TV program.  Came back about hour later and the error was happening again.  I restarted,  it was gone. 

I did it as a test just 30 minutes ago.  I started xfire, then closed it out.  And it did it again.

I am so confused.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Ok so I will have you create a .reg file which will create a file dump when IE crashes. Please open notepad and copy/paste the following in it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\iexplore.exe]
"DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00,75,\
00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

Save it as IEdump.reg (filename is not important .reg is what metters. Save it to your desktop. Close Notepad. Run the .reg file that you just created and add it to the registry. Once IE crashes it will create a dump file in C:\CrashDumps.Upload it here and I will have look.

• Leader

Run the .reg file that you just created and add it to the registry. Once IE crashes it will create a dump file in C:\CrashDumps.

Joe, would you advise us all to do this?  NOT to upload all of our crashdump files for you to inspect, but for our own inexpert use on that crash-day sure to come?

• Administrators

Not all applications are supported, for example apps that do their own crash dumps or .NET apps are not supported by Windows Error Reporting. Essentially you change the name of the program in the code and save it as new .reg file. Sure you could use it, but without having some basic understanding on how to read dumps on your own I don't see much of a benefit to a regular user.

• Administrators

the easiest and best solution is: dont use internet explorer...

3fc.png

This kind of misinformation is what pisses me of. And people posting crap like this in topics were we try to resolve an issue. Clearly you have nothing constructive to contribute. Your own solution to when a light bulb burns out on your car is clearly to buy a new car.

• Like 3

Here is what the error looks like when I tried to start COD4 multiplayer.  It looks the same when I try to open IE, only the wording is different.

2vv2eyb.jpg

Edited by Ol' Smoke

• Administrators

That is just a generic error message that is displayed when a program crashes. What I am interested in is the dump file. I can analyze it and see exactly what is causing it. But as you said above I have a feeling its an issue with xfire, with the dump file we can narrow down the actual file that is causing this issue to occur and perhaps find a workaround.

Maybe also check the event-log if it gives helpful information:

Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer

check the application and system entries under 'Windows Logs'.

Capture.png

redy.