Amazon package delivering drones

ajnl

"Amazon Reveals It wants to deploy delivery drones. No joke." Link

This was announced by the Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, yesterday on an episode of "60 Minutes".

The idea is to carry packages 5lbs or less (86% of what is on amazon) and be able to deliver in 30 minutes. So if they actually start this, you will need to be relatively close to a distribution warehouse.

Optimistically speaking they could start doing this in 5 years. There is a lot in the way, battery technology, FAA restrictions, safety, etc. And most likely it would on be available in certain areas in the USA at first. Would probably take longer for it to be possible in Europe.

At the moment their drones don't use propeller ducts, but I think that it would help a lot with efficiency and safety.

Ducted fans.

Anyways, looks interesting, what do you guys think?

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98BIu9dpwHU

and then you have trolls shooting it down

LoL. I'm sure they would be fun shotgun targets.

I don't know for sure, but I believe they'll fly too high for shotguns. And something that small would be very hard to hit with a hunting rifle, considering the height it is flying at and the speed.

Only an idiot would shoot at it. Those bullets have to come down somewhere and a person in their right mind would realize that it could hit someone else.

I think if people attempted to shoot at it, they would be arrested very quickly (IMO).

But valid point, idiots shooting at your package. I don't think that should stop Amazon though.

What about the increased cost of that plastic shipping container?

I'm sure that would be added to the massive 30 minute shipping charge.

And I could definitely see the headlines: "A new craze among young people. Amazon drone sniping"

It's a good idea in theory, if we lived in a completely civilized society.

• Like 2

What about the increased cost of that plastic shipping container?

I'm sure that would be added to the massive 30 minute shipping charge.

And I could definitely see the headlines: "A new craze among young people. Amazon drone sniping"

It's a good idea in theory, if we lived in a completely civilized society.

The whole someone shooting it out of the skies I already talked about. It is a good point, but I doubt it will be as bad as people think.

I doubt the plastic box will be very expensive, it doesn't have to be amazingly strong. According to the CEO of Amazon it will be more cost effective than the current delivery system (trucks), so shipping costs should go down. And you won't be forced to use it, so if it is extremely expensive, don't use it.

Like Canada?

I haven't spent much time up there, so I really can't honestly compare the US to Canada. All I know is that I feel like I'm surrounded by retards here. Living here makes you wish warning labels didn't exists, so natural selection could start working again.

Like Canada?

I haven't spent much time up there, so I really can't honestly compare the US to Canada. All I know is that I feel like I'm surrounded by retards here. Living here makes you wish warning labels didn't exists, so natural selection could start working again.

Or the Netherlands, no one would dare shoot one here :P

'Thanks for your purchase at Amazon.com, you will find your package on the roof of your home'

imagine finding that in your mailbox, lol.

• Like 3