What is Skill?

kami

A video about what skill represents, how to improve yourself and common fallacies. It's with Planetside 2 in mind but is also applicable to other fps.
  • Like 7

For some reason I just watched this and thought "wow people actually take gaming this seriously?" - I do it sometimes, but I usually play for fun. It's a good video to show people who actually care about how good they are I guess. 

• Like 1

Is better play only for fun, that's why games were created to enjoy and have good moments, not to make us feel bad.

As Albert Einstein said: "But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, will live his entire life believing it is stupid."

Good video. I like that he mentions the Dunning-Kruger-effect, that's exactly what is causing many players rather to flame at opponents or blame the game instead of seeing the mistakes in their own approach and therefore never will improve their game.

Is better play only for fun, that's why games were created to enjoy and have good moments, not to make us feel bad.

As Albert Einstein said: "But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, will live his entire life believing it is stupid."

But you will never feel really good or enjoy a game if you constantly lose and get destroyed by your opponents in any game or do you? Fun and skill are no contrast as often implied what I never understand. That's usually an argument of low players to justify themselves I guess...

mudskippers.jpg

:P

Edited by S3ti
  • Like 1

But you will never feel really good or enjoy a game if you constantly lose and get destroyed by your opponents in any game or do you?

I guess everyone has a difference in opinion on this, since I have started playing FPS online in the early nineties I haven't felt the need to overcome my enemies, I constantly lose and get destroyed. I'm here to relax, enjoy myself, laugh at people who blow their cool over something that's inanimate, that's not real.

I guess my talent is for real money, I compete at a different level, keeping jobs for the employees that are below me. Worrying about if the customer is satisfied, meeting goals and achieving them.

I feel real good when I can passout bonus checks to people and telling them " Good Job ".

Might be a age thing but If people invested their time they invested into being a quality player into a more productive skill there might be less complaints on how things are setup on servers, less worrying about who has more skill at video games, more donations, and more fun.

If this doesn't make sense, we're hiring at my shop. I need some more apprentices to teach a skill too. 

• Like 1

I guess everyone has a difference in opinion on this, since I have started playing FPS online in the early nineties I haven't felt the need to overcome my enemies, I constantly lose and get destroyed. I'm here to relax, enjoy myself, laugh at people who blow their cool over something that's inanimate, that's not real.

I guess my talent is for real money, I compete at a different level, keeping jobs for the employees that are below me. Worrying about if the customer is satisfied, meeting goals and achieving them.

Maybe you have some masochistic tendencies then, who knows :P My point was that having fun and beeing good at something is no contrast. You feel good at your job because you do it well and you feel good when your team i.e employees are doing a good job. You feel satisfied if you're doing better than your rival company...Same principle, different game.

• Like 1

employees that are below me.

I join main mentality of playing... but this part not full filling it... below? How come below? I felt at people I was in charge was equal as me and they accepted me as in charge... but never felt as above them. Question of respect on leading skill and knowledge thats all.

Masa_1964

I join main mentality of playing... but this part not full filling it... below? How come below? I felt at people I was in charge was equal as me and they accepted me as in charge... but never felt as above them. Question of respect on leading skill and knowledge thats all.

Masa_1964

I think he meant hierarchically. As in the organigram of the company represented. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting video.

One thing I know is that 'skill' and 'talent' are not the same thing.

There will always be someone better than you and you can accept that, improve your self by learning from these players or just rage quit (lol).

I don't consider myself one of the best ET gamers of all time but playing this gamefor many years has, IMO, made be a highly skilled player. As for having a talent in ET? Well I would say trick-panzering would be my talent lol.

Said all that, I do play ET for fun and do try and help others to improve their game. IMO, it is not fun playing a game if you do not feel that you have improved in some way - after all the feeling of competition and being better than others can always lurk around the corner, and no-one can deny this because it is human nature.

:)