Fps increase

Shana

For those - if you have lots of ram set them to higher values /seta com_zoneMegs "32" /seta com_hunkMegs "300" /seta com_soundMegs "48"

Um, my com_hunkMegs seems to be locked at a value of 156. Awesome. Anyone know how I can unlock it and set it at a higher value? Admittedly I'm using my original cfg from 6 years ago and can't be jiggered to change most things in it... :D

Um, my com_hunkMegs seems to be locked at a value of 156. Awesome. Anyone know how I can unlock it and set it at a higher value? Admittedly I'm using my original cfg from 6 years ago and can't be jiggered to change most things in it... :D

On the shortcut/icon of your game, right click, property, shortcut tab, add the red settings at the end of your target line :

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\et.exe" +set com_hunkmegs 300 +set com_zonemegs 32 +set com_soundmegs 48

Launch ET and then reapply those settings or they will stay "latched" in game (especially for the hunkmegs):

/com_hunkmegs 300

/com_zonemegs 32

/com_soundmegs 48

/vid_restart

done.

Fun fact: changing cvars at ET doesnt affect your FPS, its all about preference how you like your ET to look.

For some it's true, for others not. You won't get from 25 to 100 fps by cvars. But if you can't reach the next fps cap from e.g. 63 to 76 or 111 to 125 it can do the job very well. Try setting different values for r_primitives, that alone can make a difference up to 30% if set wrong ;)

@anni ET almost doesn't use the videocard all you need is a fast processor ( big one core beign the best).

Btw im pretty sure max fps is 1000 for idtech3 and im pretty sure of that since I have a 3930K at 4.2 and It always lock at 1000 even on devmap :P.

On another end I did get 2000+ on a idtech4 game ( on cod4 )

@Sunlight or. S3ti

I did notice a differance on the lagometer when I match my maxfps and maxpackets.

When using maxpack and fps 100 on HC server , my lagometer was a straight perfectly flat green line. From what I read , ( maxpackets % maxfps ) > 0 causes frames to sync out. You know if that applies in real?

Btw sorry for hinjacking thread but since it became a etconfig topic... :)

For some it's true, for others not. You won't get from 25 to 100 fps by cvars. But if you can't reach the next fps cap from e.g. 63 to 76 or 111 to 125 it can do the job very well. Try setting different values for r_primitives, that alone can make a difference up to 30% if set wrong ;)

Well, I think 2 is the best one, especially for ati cards? Have tried also 0, 1 and 3, even 4 but screen went greyblack. 0 and 2 worked normally(no difference in fps), 1,3 huge fps drops.

Well, I think 2 is the best one, especially for ati cards? Have tried also 0, 1 and 3, even 4 but screen went greyblack. 0 and 2 worked normally(no difference in fps), 1,3 huge fps drops.

Same for me, got this from a Quake Live guide but should apply to ET as well:

r_primitives [-1|0|1|2]

-1 = skips drawing
0 = uses glDrawelements if compiled vertex arrays are present, or strips of glArrayElement if not.
1 = force strips
2 = force drawElements

So 0 chooses between available rendering methods, dunno what 3 does but it looks pretty psychedelic. On my nvidia card fps are dropping from 150 to ~100 if set to 1, with 0 and 2 both using "single drawElements" and beeing the fastest too. (with /gfxinfo the rendering method is shown) I'm sure Sunlight *poke* knows more about that opengl stuff :)

@Sunlight or. S3ti

I did notice a differance on the lagometer when I match my maxfps and maxpackets.

When using maxpack and fps 100 on HC server , my lagometer was a straight perfectly flat green line. From what I read , ( maxpackets % maxfps ) > 0 causes frames to sync out. You know if that applies in real?

Btw sorry for hinjacking thread but since it became a etconfig topic... :)

If you play with cl_maxpackets = or > com_maxfps settings up to 100 (e.g 76mp/76fps or 100mp/100fps or 100mp/76fps) you will send an update to the server at every client frame. But cl_maxpackets is limited to 100 so if you have set com_maxfps higher than 100 the fps number is divided by an integer till it is in allowed range again.

Some examples:

125 fps / 1 = 125 packets (discarded)

125 fps / 2 = 63 packets (highest possible amount of packets that get sent, even with cl_maxpackets 100, 1 packet every 2nd client frame)

333 fps / 1 = 333 packets (discarded)

333 fps / 2 = 167 packets (discarded)

333 fps / 3 = 111 packets (discarded)

333 fps / 4 = 83 packets (highest possible amount of packets, 1 packet every 4th client frame)

I'll just copy paste here from another forum (note that ET is limited to 100 maxpackets, not 125) :P

cl_maxpackets

This is the Maximum number of data packets that can be SENT to the server per second. The higher you set this, the smoother your game will feel as your actions (run, shoot, jump etc.) will be updated more frequently. Broadbanders will be able to go up to 125 (but not higher) but this depends on your individual connections. Dialup users will just about be able to manage 30, so 20 is more of a stable setting.

Also if you set your MaxPackets too high, your ping will start to rise. This is due to the increase in upstream bandwidth usage. So you should set your MaxPackets as high as you can without it affecting your ping (and without going over 125).

com_maxfps

This is the maximum graphical framerate permitted. You can not use any MaxFPS value. The only valid values are those which are equal to (1000/x) where x is an integer. So for example your 125fps comes from (1000/8 = 125). If you try and set MaxFPS to 120, you will still get 125fps. This is because any invalid setting is rounded up to the next (1000/x).

Some valid Values for MaxFPS:

1000/3 = ~333

1000/4 = 250

1000/5 = 200

1000/6 = ~166

1000/7 = ~142

1000/8 = 125

1000/9 = ~111

1000/10 = 100

1000/11 = ~90

1000/12 = ~83

1000/13 = ~76

1000/14 = ~71

1000/15 = ~66

1000/16 = ~62

1000/17 = ~58

1000/18 = ~55

etc.

cl_maxpackets and com_maxfps

This is where your graphical framerate affects your connection. The actual MaxPackets sent to the server MUST be equal to (your_FPS/x), once again where x is an integer. If you set your MaxPackets to a value which is not equal to (your_FPS/x) then your MaxPackets will actually be rounded down to the nearest valid setting.

Most of you will use MaxFPS 125. If so, your valid MaxPackets values will be as follows (assuming your PC can achieve its MaxFPS value constantly):

(always round up these calculations to integers)

125/1 = 125

125/2 = 63

125/3 = 42

125/4 = 32

125/5 = 25

etc.

You should choose the largest value that your connection can handle. If your MaxPackets is not set to a valid value, it is a potential waste of bandwidth and therefore potential lag/instability.

For example, if your framerate drops to 100 then your valid MaxPackets values will change to:

100/1 = 100

100/2 = 50

100/3 = 34

100/4 = 25

etc.

So if you have your cl_maxpackets set to 100 and are using 125fps then mostly your MaxPackets will be at 63 (highlited in yellow above) (this is the largest value not exceeding the input cl_maxpackets limit). However, when the framerate drops to 100fps, the MaxPackets will change to 100 as this is now the largest value that does not exceed the input cl_maxpackets limit (highlited in yellow above). If your connection cannot handle 100 packets it will cause your ping to rise or spike. Even if it can handle the jump from 63 to 100 packets, this may well cause your ping to fluctuate more than if your actual MaxPackets were constant.

Less packets than your fps doesn't mean that you lose information, the information (your moves) of 2 or more client frames is just beeing sent in 1 packet then. Tbh I think cl_maxpackets is one of the most popular placebo cvars, as long as the server can update your position and moves at every server frame (most servers run at 20 fps) it should be fine...in theory.

• Like 1

loool.. It was an example to give him the commands since he didn't mentionned any value he wanted to set.. Most of time people set their own value even if you advice to not set a too much high because useless..

I know ET uses mostly CPU.. :s I use a 3770k at 4.63 and the VIRTU MVP to run the both simultaneously (my iGPU OC and my GTX670 amp edition OC too) and trust me I am able to reach this value..

Instead to set your /com_maxfps at 0, try to set it at 1000 or 2000.. That works for me even if no use with..

Edited by Ann!b@l
  • Like 1

By typing those commands I've got high fps increase. Before setting anything I could get 48 fps but after 180, so it's helpful :)

Anyways I'm playing on laptop so after some time fps drop for a bit like to 10, and than back to normal(I've set to 25 fps)

I can normally play now and As you can see those commands affect Fps :) (maybe for some computerd don't)