need anti virus software

I am going to have to buy a new antivirus software for my comp but I am not sure which brand to buy. Any information or advice that you guys could provide to me would be greatly appreciated.

You will probably get 10 replies with 10 different people saying 10 different programs are the best ones. I think we are at a point where most solutions are pretty much equally good and differ only in their price, functionality and additional features.

I for one never liked the fact that some solutions like Norton are giving you a hard time getting rid of them if you don't like them anymore. I prefer Avast Free Antivirus. It's completely free, though maybe a little complicated with its licensing system, has all features an AV system needs, hardly distracts you, hardly displays advertisements for its paid products, isn't too bad performance-wise and let's you uninstall it. I've been using it for years and am pretty much satisfied.

• Like 3

I use Avira anitvirus. I have had the free version for over a year and have had no problems whatsoever. No virus' to speak of and if anything questionable appears it quickly alerts me. There is a version you can also pay for for $30 if you so choose.

I've tried Eeset Nod32, Norton, McAfee, Avast, Avira.

If you want to pay and not deal with adverts and get a good full featured AV, I'd drop dough on Eeset. Keep an eye on newegg, every now and then I see a 3-user license for $20.

If you want something fast and free, and aren't bothered by adverts then go with Avast or MS essentials. Actually I'm not sure if MS Essentials has adverts or not, but I've heard some pretty decent reviews of it.

I used Norton but i start to had many problems so i change and i have AVG Business ediction and it realy good...

Best free security on todays market is Comodo Antivirus. It's the most thorough virus scanner on the market. This is proven you can look it up.

Just out of interest, could you please provide a link? I can't find any source proving that.

I'd have to disagree on Comodo on being the best. The PC Mag review says it has poor removal of of malware especially rootkits, but it is portable so viruses and malware don't interfere with installation. But that being said, there isn't an end-all of anti-viruses that will keep you safe from everything, so they all have their pros and cons. Norton works, but tends to be resource heavy so I avoid it. The free versions will work well for casual home users normally, but if you like to peruse websites that contain "sensative material" you will want probably want to purchase it as they provide some protection in the paid-for versions that they don't provide in the free versions.

The antivirus i recommend to my clients most is AVG. It has its drawbacks as well, but it does provide good protection and they don't bill by subscription if you buy the product. For the clients I have that are "click first, deal with the consequences later" types, I put them on the Internet Security version. More expensive but its pretty intensive on the protection. Most don't need it though. Avast!, Avira and Kaspersky are all good products as well, I have used each with good results.

Anything you decide to go with though, you want to have a couple of addition tools in your arsenal for defending your system. Running Malwarebytes (free version) on a weekly schedule (depending on Internet use) and Hitman Pro (free for 30 days, then $30 per year - will scan on a daily basis) will help keep malware in check.

Hope this helps!

Why have to buy i am playing and surfing without av program for a few years now and its ok just dont open unasked exe programs ^^. Btw i use the net like i always did and never get into trouble yet .Just update your windows and you wont get mallware microsoft security essentials is enough i gues .

Not using an AV is your choice, but I wouldn't recommend it. You can pickup malware on a website without clicking any install requests. But some of the stuff is pretty stealthy and if you are doing any online banking or anything like that, it could be capturing your passwords and forwarding the info onto bad guys, or even implanting zombie software that takes over your system when you aren't using it. At the very least you want to use MS security essentials.

Not using an AV is your choice, but I wouldn't recommend it. You can pickup malware on a website without clicking any install requests. But some of the stuff is pretty stealthy and if you are doing any online banking or anything like that, it could be capturing your passwords and forwarding the info onto bad guys, or even implanting zombie software that takes over your system when you aren't using it. At the very least you want to use MS security essentials.

yeah, but same goes when you have an AV installed...

It's an extra layer of defence, but that's all. Even with an AV you still can pick up malware.

Not saying it's complete useless (far from), but some people think they are complete safe when using an AV.

btw I would never use AVG again, used it for years. But then it started to f*** up my windows installation after every single update. It became unstable in my opinion (can be fixed now, some years ago :P). Since then I'm using Avast, but I tend to agree with Kai that their isn't much difference in essence between all the different av.

Only annoyance I have with avast is the auto sandbox interfering bit too much (solved it in setting though).