Leagal vs illegal scripts

Degritz

In every major league, anti-recoil, rapid connection/fps setting changing, and movement scripts are illegal, as are anything that circumvents anything restricted by the league config. Other than the com_maxfps command, anything that exploits bugs in the game is also disallowed. Basically, if it can be thought of as dishonesty by a reasonable player, don't use it. I use plenty of scripts, but none of them really affect gameplay, just things like a name changer, fps changer, and a crouch toggle script.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think an automatic +zoomin whenever firing a garand should be allowed either =\

most of what i use is spawn/class selector, name changer and various toggles. one helpful one is crosshair cycle ( i use red dot for snowy maps and cyan dot on darker maps ).

i'm against scripts that spam chat whenever a player reloads or changes weapons. boy are those ever pretentious. i once wrote a script to poke fun at that sorta stuff that spammed chat whenever i moved left/right/forward/back, jumped, crouched or proned. lol "Moving Left! Going Prone! Standing Up! Jumping!" no one really thought it was funny but me... also i had one that set me spectator and spammed "Spectating!" every 5 seconds, but you have to crash game to turn it off. these scripts i have ought to be disallowed, which just proves the point about annoying chat spam scripts =p

write for full details lol i'm not posting them.

i once wrote a script to poke fun at that sorta stuff that spammed chat whenever i moved left/right/forward/back, jumped, crouched or proned. lol "Moving Left! Going Prone! Standing Up! Jumping!" no one really thought it was funny but me... also i had one that set me spectator and spammed "Spectating!" every 5 seconds =p

That's hilarious. I actually laughed reading that!

Moving Left!

Moving Right!

Clicking My Mouse!

Jumping Up and Down!

I have no idea why people go the trouble to make all those vsays either, I don't even use the default ones most of the time. To each his own I guess.

I admit It would be nice to hit one button that switches to a grenade, throws it , then switches back to smg. I just don't think it is really all that ethical.. or is it?, lol

A script like this would actually put you at a disadvantage and would more than likely decrease you accuracy and efficiency with grenades. With this script you would not be able to hold onto the grenade and wait for that third or fourth "tick" just before you throw it to have it explode right on target, instead you would throw a grenade and it would sit there for about 4 seconds before it went off giving anyone who was near it and saw the grenade sitting there ample time to evacuate. Also you could not hold onto the grenade and make a suicide run into a large group of enemy players blowing yourself up along with anyone near you.

Is it ethical? Depends on your definition of ethical.

Is it legal? Yes.

Is it practical? No.

Is it a waste of a good grenade? Probably unless you use that function to toss grenades at a vehicle that can be damaged. You probably won't get as many grenade kills using a script like that though.

You could possibly make a (suicide) script that switches to grenade, throws it then /kill. This could be used to make a suicide run into a large group of enemies toss a grenade and /kill out before they kill you. Or, let's just say you're an engi defending dyno and it's about to go off, use that script to drop a grenade and kill out with 1-2 sec before spawn leaving a live grenade on the ground for any unlucky engi who is about to try and disarm your dynamite. But for all practical purposes, it's probably better to just leave the grenade script alone and not use it unless you have !lol then you could use that to !lol /kill yourself. Of course that's borderline admin abuse if you use that to make suicide runs into the enemy :P

unless you have !lol then you could use that to !lol /kill yourself. Of course that's borderline admin abuse if you use that to make suicide runs into the enemy :P

what you would want for your admin abuse dreams thor is this:

bind [KEY] "!lol thor; !launch thor"

that way you are up in the top of the map when your !lol goes off underneath you, so no need for /kill you wuss =p

maybe do a !throw thor version for indoors with low ceilings =D

Edited by Connection

• 2 weeks later...

PC gameplay should be exactly like console gameplay regarding settings. You have a menu that his common to everyone who will play with you. You select from the menu and then you play the game. That's it. The fact that we are all playing on PC's shouldn't turn WET into a scripting convention with playing the game better dependent on how much syntax you can learn that others would never want to bother with. All they want to do is get on the game and PLAY IT. It irritates me that the command line is even available. It is one of the disappointing truths of PC gameplay. Like everything else, most want a silent advantage for as long as they can hold on to it. Bravo to players who have an ethical conscience and say "others don't have this so why should I?"

Bravo to players who have an ethical conscience and say "others don't have this so why should I?"

except, as you say, so many seasoned players use .cfg's

virtually anyone who plays ET for more than a year AT LEAST has an autoexec to store binds and settings..

so the question is really

"everyone else has this so why don't i?"

PC gameplay should be exactly like console gameplay regarding settings. You have a menu that his common to everyone who will play with you. You select from the menu and then you play the game. That's it. The fact that we are all playing on PC's shouldn't turn WET into a scripting convention with playing the game better dependent on how much syntax you can learn that others would never want to bother with. All they want to do is get on the game and PLAY IT. It irritates me that the command line is even available. It is one of the disappointing truths of PC gameplay. Like everything else, most want a silent advantage for as long as they can hold on to it. Bravo to players who have an ethical conscience and say "others don't have this so why should I?"

IMO that is complete BS. Why? Because even console games have a command line. If there was no command line, there would be no game.

Also, ANY game out there. PC or console doesn't matter. Uses a "config" On a console, you do indeed have a .cfg; most don't notice it. Also, yes, it is eligible to be tweaked. You just have to know how to do it. Also, to Connection. When you start ET for the first time, it creates you a config lol. So to basically correct what you said on; "virtually anyone who plays ET for more than a year AT LEAST has an autoexec to store binds and settings.. "

That technically isn't true. The game it's self creates you a config, though you may not realize it.

All a config is, is just a document that saves all your settings like binds and visual effects and all sorts of other cool stuff. If you did not have a config, you would have no "profile" which means you would need to enable PB and make a new profile ect ect every time you bring ET up. Not to mention you would have "ETPLAYER" as your set name.

IMO, all scripts are allowed. How I look at it is, if it doesn't kick you for it then its allowed. Any server with PB enabled has a massive list of "Cvar violations" and "Script violations" in it, meaning you would get kicked if they are tweaked out. Also, there are many many ways to add custom scripts and cvars to that list for your server specifically.

For instance, I've been on to a server and got kicked for my gamma being at 2.5. Or for my sensitivity being too low. Or even having a name script.

So I would like to think that any script you use, is legal untill you get kicked. (by pb). Otherwise, its perfectly fine. But as I said, each server has its rules so if they say its not allowed. Don't do it :P

Also, Dare, you don't need to be having /players binded xD Just go into the server settings and make it to where people can only change those things like 3 times a map. Like names, nudge, FOV, intensity.. ect ect. Once they hit their 3rd one it remains on that untill the next map, or untill they /reconnect...

• Administrators

[quote name=Josh/Faded :)' date='11 December 2009 - 11:26 PM' timestamp='1260573980' post='46795]

Also, Dare, you don't need to be having /players binded xD Just go into the server settings and make it to where people can only change those things like 3 times a map. Like names, nudge, FOV, intensity.. ect ect. Once they hit their 3rd one it remains on that untill the next map, or untill they /reconnect...

Cool nice. Care to explain how to use that server setting?

Uhh it depends, what is the host? gameservers? If so I would need to see something to remember its been a year or so lol.. Not saying u have to gimme access to FTP stuff but ya idk ill have to look around and stuff and refresh my memory.. ill PM ya when i find it tho..

Console games don't have a drop down command line where you can edit the game. That's part of the fun of pc games - extensive customization.

I change my FOV and sensitivity back and forth at least fifty times every map. I use one for close fighting and one for fighting at a distance. I could never do that on a console game.

I like scripts, they don't cost anything, they are easy to write if you have ever done any programming, and they provide an advantage to make up for the disadvantages I have. I'm not 17 or even 25, my computer doesn't cost $3000, I don't play 12 hours a day, etc. So as long as we follow the rules leave us alone.

I once wrote a script to poke fun at that sorta stuff that spammed chat whenever i moved left/right/forward/back, jumped, crouched or proned. lol "Moving Left! Going Prone! Standing Up! Jumping!" no one really thought it was funny but me... also i had one that set me spectator and spammed "Spectating!" every 5 seconds,

I was thinking about getting one of those, that said 'Moving Left, Like A Boss' etc etc