NO DEDICATED SERVERS FOR MW2

Tomato

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. So basically u see one guy in a game and may never ever see him again. i understand now...

Activision better change this, or every player in the world will cancel thier preorder before it comes out lol

I personally like no dedicated server. Some "stupid" reason why:

1. No demands or cry babies I don't like this map or that map. Just have to suck it up. Bad as a player point of view but good as admin point of view.

2. No work for server admins. No more restarting, clearing out logs, updating cheat scan files, checking PBSS, etc.

3. No cry babies for heli and all. Every server same settings. Just got to enjoy what game has rather then crying for this and that.

4. No server loop holes so they can crash servers. If they do IW will work on it instantly to fix it rather then admins coding their custom patch in assembly.

5. No more monthly bills to pay for server. :D

xbox are still popular and so is WoW.

lololol, lazy ass :P

I think that this game is gonna be a hit with those that want to " Covertly Aquire" the game for the single player part. I am still looking forward to BC2 in march though....... It still looks like its gonna be a fun game.

I think that this game is gonna be a hit with those that want to " Covertly Aquire" the game for the single player part. I am still looking forward to BC2 in march though....... It still looks like its gonna be a fun game.

Haha, just like Spore. The most hellish DRM ever and then it was the most illegally downloaded game of the year. :P

Edited by Tomato

Im a moron and just learned today no dedicated servers. I will not buy the game- MP is the ONLY reason I play and Dedicated servers are all I play. Mannnnnnnn Darn it to heck, DARN IT ALL TO HECK!!

I take this as quote of the day "PC gamers like one thing that console games can't provide for the most part: Choice."

SOURCE: news.bigdownload.com

Opinion: An open letter to Infinity Ward

(Editor's note: We have tried repeatedly to contact Infinity Ward and Actvision to give us their comments about the issues in this open letter before we decided to post it. They have yet to respond to our inquires.)

To: The Modern Warfare 2 Team at Infinity Ward

There's been a massive amount of buzz about the upcoming release of Modern Warfare 2. Unfortunately, as you know, not all of it has been good, especially from the PC community. It started out slow but about 12 days ago it reached its peak when your community manager Robert Bowling dropped a bombshell that the PC version would no longer have a dedicated server system for multiplayer. Instead, you guys are creating your own peer-to-peer matchmaking system called IWNet.

Some folks have read a lot into this decision but believe it or not in some respects we think your decisions are good for the PC community. While some hardcore PC gamers may not wish to admit it there are "average" PC gamers, we understand that some people don't want to deal with the hassle of browsing for a low ping server. They just want to jump in a game for some quick multiplayer matches.

In that respect, your move to make a peer-to-peer system makes sense and we think it will turn out to be a popular one for those casual and average PC gamers. We also commend you on hooking up with Valve and using their Steamworks features to offer things like achievements, their VAC anti-cheating system, automatic updates and Steam Cloud for putting multiplayer stat progression on a remote server.

We also don't buy into the conspiracy theories floating around out there that you are making these moves to turn the PC port into more of a console experience. We honestly believe that you really think these moves will prove to be the best for the PC game audience.

We remember when the founding members of Infinity Ward worked at 2015 on EA's terrific Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, the game that arguably launched a ton of copy-cat WWII shooters over the years. We also remember when Infinity Ward was first announced and teamed up with Activision to release Call of Duty in 2005 which came to be known as a huge leap forward in the genre.

Then Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare kicked up the party several notches by dropping the WWII theme and addingd a measure of character progression along with other new features for multiplayer. In short, you deserve credit for all your success.

However some of the decisions regarding the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 seem like a huge step backward. The major issues are:

High price for the PC version: $60 for a non-collector's edition of a PC game seems like it's just a way to squeeze $10 from your PC community. There's no royalty fee to pay as you do for Microsoft and Sony for the console releases and we doubt using Steamworks adds a lot to the PC game budget. This move just seems like Activision, your owner and publisher, is just being greedy.

No special editions for the PC owners: This is a rather minor point but it still would have been nice if the PC community were offered the choice to purchase the Hardened Edition with all the cool behind-the-scenes content or the Prestige version with the night vision goggles. The PC port of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare included a Collector's Edition so we are scratching our heads as to why there's none for Modern Warfare 2. It's not that big of a deal (we'd be happy with just the Hardened Edition) but singling PC gamers out of this chance seems like you don't consider us in the same breath as the console communities.

No word on mod support: This is an issue that Robert Bowling has dodged commenting on since the whole dedicated server controversy went nuclear. Releasing mod tools is a tradition that dates back to the release of the first Call of Duty game. Making new maps, weapons, gameplay types and other new content is something that the community of hardcore gamers love to do. In fact

with your former team member Grant Collier. During the interview, he talks about how Infinity Ward actually invited mod makers to come to the studio to learn more about Call of Duty 4 and to get their feedback. Clearly, you must understand how important the mod community is to PC gaming, so we don't understand why you would withhold this kind of information.

No dedicated server support: This is the one that obviously has most of the hardcore PC community's attention. Dedicated servers for hardcore PC gamers have been a mainstay for some time. Clans gather around servers, create their own admin systems, and for people who perhaps have a crappy Internet connection or live in remote parts of the world, having a local dedicated server is something that is almost essential to having a good multiplayer experience from a PC first-person shooter.

In Robert Bowling's post on the subject on his blog, he states the new IWNet service for Modern Warfare 2 "will automatically find you a game with the best performance, ping, and preferences based on your location and individual connection." That sounds great - except that players are still dependent on the host server in a peer-to-peer setup. If a host disappears for any reason, players will have wasted time finding a "perfect" game only to be dropped. That doesn't happen with a dedicated server system. A player can have a favorite server and access it any time or day. They'll also know exactly what kind of performance to expect, an experience that a matchmaking system doesn't provide. Lastly no matchmaking system is perfect. Despite claims to the contrary, our experience with similar systems on both PCs and consoles has shown us that lag-free games aren't always a guarantee.

Yes, one can set up a private match and adjust the settings, which is great for more casual players, but clans and communities want more control. They want to be able to police the servers that they own. Will there be dangers from hacks and cheaters? Not if Valve's VAC system is used for the dedicated servers just like they are set up for Left 4 Dead and their other multiplayer games.

Possible 16-player multiplayer limit: While you have not officially announced how many players you will support for online matches in the PC version of Modern Warfare 2, our experience with such peer-to-peer systems suggests strongly the game will be limited to supporting 16 players per match, like the console version. However, PC gamers had support for 32 players or even more in Call of Duty 4 thanks to dedicated servers. It would be great if you would give us the final word on this matter but the fact that it hasn't been mentioned by you is yet another cause for concern.

We also want to say that your whole handling of this controversy has left something to be desired. From what we can see, your move to a matchmaking system instead of a dedicated server system was likely made months ago, yet you chose to reveal those plans just 3 1/2 weeks before the game shipped to stores. In fact, in an interview with Shacknews posted just a month ago when asked, "By the way, have you changed the way multiplayer games function on the PC at all?", Robert Bowling is quoted as saying, "PC will be the same as it always was." We have to wonder if you knew this change was going to upset a lot of people and kept it a secret until the last minute.

A simple solution would be to release a patch that will enable a dedicated server option for those hardcore PC gamers. That way, casual or average fans can still use IWNet's matchmaking system and everyone comes out a winner. We don't buy the argument that your studio head Jason West gave to Game Informer stating that such a movie would "bifurcate the community" for two reasons. One is that your community is already split three ways between the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 platforms. Surely one more won't matter, especially if you can win back your hardcore members. The other is that other games have offered up both matchmaking and dedicated servers for their PC games. Again we look at Valve's Left 4 Dead which does this without any complaints about a split community. Additionally, not being forthcoming with information and failing to put rumors to rest does more to divide the gaming community.

As it stands now we have trouble seeing how Modern Warfare 2 is the "biggest investment Infinity Ward has ever made into the PC version of our games" after considering these points. Ultimately, PC gamers like one thing that console games can't provide for the most part: Choice. Your decisions have removed much of the choice and freedom that your community have come to expect and that translates into a decrease in quality. Now they must make the ultimate choice; whether or not to buy your game.

If anyone want's to see what happens when a company decides to ignore it's customers, just visit Novaworld.

he once popular black hawk down/Joint ops titles became a ghost town. Before that they had Commanche 4 and the same thing happened. Over time people voted with their wallets and the site is dead.

Yeah i think im gonna just buy this shit for my ps3 play the story and then return it to gamestop or whatever. Another rumor i heard other than the dedicated servers is limiting the key/button customization because having 5 button mice is not fair for people who have 3 button mice. Not sure how true that is. I was saving the cash for this game now i think i am going to just get Dragon Age: Origins.