Android viruses etc?

Chuckun

Since getting my first smartphone (running android 2.2), I am wondering if viruses etc are a problem? If so, what decent barriers are available?

Thanks in advance..

Chuck

From what the Verizon guy I talked to a while back said, there is no threat of a virus on Android software and that there is no point of having any antivirus on it. My sense though would tell me that anything you can download has a chance of having a virus in it.

Interesting article,

http://www.theregist...curity_dust_up/

No virus but mallware that sucks btw keep track of apps cos most are crap and drain youyr battery :( especially lockscreens and themes. On the other side android makes use of widgets its awesome and there are good widgets to keep track of powerusers and nice music widgets . try not to forget best app :) Mp3 Music download v2 .

Thanks krayzie, i feel the same way you do.. Hence this topic really..

@Detoren - thanks i'll check that out :) im only really installing highly useful apps so no real worries about consumption yet :P

I only know that avast is offering a free 'anti-virus' app for it ^^

http://www.avast.com/free-mobile-security#comparison

off topic:

I don't need is because I still run with my old beloved Nokia 3310, bought 2 other mobiles but always kept using my 3310 :P.

I'm waiting until that one dies (NEVER!!!!), before I go to that awfull touch

Kaspersky and Lookout are both free AV software on the Android market. Kaspersky has an "active" interface that lets you know anything happening on ur phone, while Lookout kinda just runs in the background. Both have the option to upgrade for more features but are pretty great without having to pay a dime. Another must have program is Advanced Task Killer. It will let you see and "kill" any process in the background, allowing you to stop on command and and possible pinpont programs with suspicious behavior.,

• Like 1

I wonder if my 3 user license for kaspersky would work :P i'll be sure to grab kaspersky and task killer :) thanks guys!

i use the fre NQ security... for now it's a good one.. but anyone know if it's really good?

Uhmm i have the 2.3 i think... i have Sony Ericsson Xperia X8. the hackers... the virus will be in all place.. in the future we will have chips in our brain and will need an antivirus too... xD

Edited by turkoxp

There's no virus for android since android is based on Linux OS, don't install any Antivirus it will not work, better then that try to update from Froyo to Gingerbread.

• Like 1

There's no virus for android since android is based on Linux OS, don't install any Antivirus it will not work, better then that try to update from Froyo to Gingerbread.

trap.jpg

he want to hack our andoids !! he is an ipod dude! lol xD (jocke)

I did consider this but then all OS's have viruses, just much less than windows :P

Having installed Kaspersky though, I really do like some of the features so I'll keep it regardless :)

As for Gingerbread - it's not available since I've got the Samsung Galaxy Europa which isn't exactly new (not enough money).. But I hear good things for porting in the near future :) I don't know much about this sort of thing, not even flashing standard phones so I'm a bit wary.. >.<

Of course there is malware for Android and Antivirus applications are not just scams...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/15/android_malware_skyrockets/