Computer problem. Shutting down when it want..

Hey guys! I'm having bit of a problem with my computer. The thing is, my computer is shutting down when it feels like it.

This is the parts that i have in my computer:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3

Processor: AMD Phenom Quad 9650 2.3Ghz

RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC8500 Corsair XMS3 DHX

Graphic card: PowerColoe ATI HD 4870 1GB PCIe

Power supply: Corsair 700w

The partis is about 2 years old.

When i tell people about it they thinks its the RAM memories that are broken. But i want to hear what you guys think it is.

I'm thankful for any help cuz this is driving me insane!

Peace out!

You might want to check

CPU temperature

Processor fan

power supply fan

When you reboot, if its RAM problem, you should be hearing beeps beeps before it loads windows

• Like 1

So it might be overheating? My CPU temperature is around 50-60 Celsius I think. But I'll check later when I get home.

Just remembered a thing. Some times when it's rebooting, it gets a error message saying "main bios checksum error............(lots of dots line up) Auto recovering..........

Think that might have something to do with the RAM.

If you can say when it usually occurs (during games etc.), it would be helpful. My computer does that as well, it freezes on a screen, and can't be ctrl-alt-del, and I've suspected its a heating problem

It usually happens when I'm doing something that need some more "power". I will se if I can find anything that cools the CPU better than the original parts. And cleaning the computer.

Check the memory, the ubuntu installer cd has meminfo which can be very insightful. And it's a cheap/easy check. They power supply shouldnt be the problem, so the other most logical check next is the cpu temperature.

If the computer is rebooting (default), you can configure in Windows** that it does not reboot immediately, but first shows a BSOD. Unfortunately, I don't know straight from my head how to enable it. Although it's annoying to have a BSOD, it can deliver some useful information. Well, sometimes. My recent few BSOD's were a user error :P

** I guess you're running Windows

I had something like this twice:

First time: problem with dust and cooling (cleaned it out installed dustfilters over every fan => problem fixed)

Second time: bit my own stupid fault (installed second psu): my psu couldn't handle my crossfire setup (normally with 700 watt it can't be a problem, but aging psu loses efficiency)

• Administrators

Check the memory, the ubuntu installer cd has meminfo which can be very insightful. And it's a cheap/easy check. They power supply shouldnt be the problem, so the other most logical check next is the cpu temperature.

If the computer is rebooting (default), you can configure in Windows** that it does not reboot immediately, but first shows a BSOD. Unfortunately, I don't know straight from my head how to enable it. Although it's annoying to have a BSOD, it can deliver some useful information. Well, sometimes. My recent few BSOD's were a user error :P

** I guess you're running Windows

Tap F10 on boot, on Window advanced options menu select Disable automatic restart on system failure. There is another way of disabling it in windows but steps differ from XP to Win7

Download Memtest and burn it to a CD and then boot into it. It will test your memory. Do atleast 1 to 2 full passes.http://www.memtest.org/

Download LinX and install LinX. Choose a large project size or the blend test and let that run for an hour. At the same time, monitor your CPU and any motherboard temperatures closely. Anything over 80C is pretty damn hot for a CPU and I wouldn't recommend torturing any CPU like that. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?201670-LinX-A-simple-Linpack-interface

Download and installed FurMark. It will 100% load your graphics card. It could be that it is overheating or it is not getting enough power if it crashes during this.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

If you have a CD rom or hard drive that is dying it can do weird stuff too. That should help you identify what components may be to blame.

• Like 1