setting your priority, to improve game performance

LaTe

Someone pasted this tip along to me the other day, so I would like to share it with everyone here. Some might already know, there might even be a post about it.....if so sorry. By default, windows sets all programs to "medium" priority, and you can easly change it to a higher setting. Open task manager (ctrl+alt+delete), and click on the processes tab. At the bottom of this tab there might be a button, or box, to "show for all users" click or select this. Next right click on the game your playing and look for the priority settings. Set to the highest level....realtime, max, w/e. Also for those of you that have multi-core processors, make sure the game you are play supports it. If it does NOT, for example ET, then it will by default be using your first processors (#0). That same processor is already being used for windows, and other programs. You can tell windows to utilize the unused processor by setting the affinity. The steps are the same as setting the priority, right click your game in task manager and click set affinity. Again you dont want to use the first proccessor, regardless of if you have a 2 4 or 6 core proccessor. I usually use the last proccssor. Hope it helps some people out there. :) Also this has to be done everytime you open the game, it doesnt save. Its worth it though.

its so great setting help me alot and i dont have lag spikes anymore

great job latezor!

Glad it help :) You can also use for programs you run like your antivirus to scan faster, or internet explore to blast your music videos faster.....you get the idea ;)

Generally, this is a quite nice tip, and indeed it works. However, putting to realtime is not the best idea, if your game crashes (and keeps getting 100%), windows can't take it over. For example, the taskmanager to close it is default at high, since your game is at realtime, the taskmanager won't be entered. Therefore I wouldn't recommend putting it to realtime, high should be sufficient. Btw, realtime is a crappy name, Windows can't guarantee that tasks will be executed realtime. But it's a nice indication that it is as high as possible.

Second, Windows generally knows quite well that a high-performing task will be set to CPU1 (instead of CPU0), although not perfect, it can be balanced quite well. It is not the case that once started at CPU0, it will run the entire time on CPU0, it can automatically switch to CPU1 if that is performing better (as do all other smaller tasks).

Third, only a very small tip, you can go directly to the task manager by ctrl+shift+esc :P'

Hope these remarks are useful :)

Another setting many of you may know is the MAXFPS setting. Open your console, and type in this command.. /com_maxfps 150. or 125.. or even 200 if your com will push it. Be sure to put the forward slash then the command. This may speed up your FPS. Also be sure to open your console... and put in the following command.. /cg_drawfps 1 That will show your current FPS while in game. If you are in the white then you are good to go. COD recommends you have at least a FPS of 60 or higher. I hope this helps.

Something that improved my FPS was going into nvidia control panel and forcing off v sync in the specific game you are playing. Improved my FPS immensely went from 60 to 125 immediately. Not sure how it works on ATI but the option is there for nvidia users.

• 5 months later...

Old topic but relevent question asked so I wont !lock and !slap you. :P

I would try running task manager as an admin.. To do so, open your start menu and type Task Manager or taskmgr into the search box.. wait for task manager to pop up, right click it, and run as admin.. Maybe then you'll be allowed to set the priority etc.