How fast is your broadband. Post your results here.

Speedtest is based on download/uploads via HTTP protocol only and doesnt allow to have custom datagram size even. Too bad, I dont rely on speedtest accuracy as the results also depends on the infrastructure setup of the upstream provider.

wtf! you pay for this?

or is a working place connection or something,

photoshop? i,ve never seen this speeeds. before

It's at the university. So yeah, I pay for it, but not directly.

The university is also the hub for my city, where about 50.000 people have fiber to the home I guess. And I'm one of those with fiber to the home, so 100/100Mbit at home. But that is slow :P

Speedtest is based on download/uploads via HTTP protocol only and doesnt allow to have custom datagram size even. Too bad, I dont rely on speedtest accuracy as the results also depends on the infrastructure setup of the upstream provider.

Speedtest first does a small test, where they measure a nice dataset for testing. So they default have custom download/upload size. That's why I the 1Gbs test runs in pretty much the same time as every one else, about 5~10 seconds.

Edited by rolf

To be particular, these are the actual set of category JPG files that speedtest are uploading/downloading during the test

File size and File names

1.9M random1000x1000.jpg

4.3M random1500x1500.jpg

7.6M random2000x2000.jpg

12M random2500x2500.jpg

17M random3000x3000.jpg

24M random3500x3500.jpg

240K random350x350.jpg

31M random4000x4000.jpg

494K random500x500.jpg

1.1M random750x750.jpg

As Ive said, depending on the platform setup of upstream can affect the speed test results. If I put the tests inside MPLS DMZ where there are dozens of clients, and tremendous broadcast storms inside that broadcast domain, speedtest results would be affected by those broadcast announcements. This is plain congestion.

Another one is when your ISP have have multi-tier links, one link redirects out your packets using Link #1 and when congested returns your packets back using link #2 (slower link with higher latency). That means, your results are divided using that 2 links and would not be consistent the next day depending on which link paltform you pass thru and not depending on which file speedtests did.

Another one, depending on

protocol priotization

link priotization

guaranteed burstable rate (CIR)

etc

Apparently you know more about networks than me :P The second point is true, but for many other points if you don't use your network in another way you usually get the maximum from your connection. Unless your entire neighbourhood is getting the maximum from their connection as well. Also, this speedtest doesn't give you your performance, but is a nice approximation :)

Well speedtest in short is just an approximate of HTTP protocol (browsing) only (not with actual TCP/UDP throughput) on ISPs with standard platform that don't have special devices in between internet and client. You could probably have a different approximates or download speed using another protocol like SCP or FTP.

But it's good to see other speedtest results, imagine how much information they can download from their end :)

just for posting, without changes to my computer IP, I am posting 3 results - the first one goes out via global satellite, 2nd one goes out via broadband wireless radio and the 3rd one goes out via fiber

post-6735-0-92904300-1353677745_thumb.jpg

post-6735-0-39518000-1353677751_thumb.jpg

post-6735-0-77575200-1353678289_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest lavanya

My speed test results are,

Downloadspeed:1.787Mbps
Uploadspeed:0.837Mbps
I performed my internet speed test here <link removed>.
Is this good or not?

Edited by Chuckun

My speed test results are,

Downloadspeed:1.787Mbps

Uploadspeed:0.837Mbps

I performed my internet speed test here <link removed>.

Is this good or not?

not really tbh... + this topic is from 2011 dont bump topics that old

Edited by Chuckun