CPU and Mobo recommendation

daredevil

• Administrators

Any good recommendation for CPU and Mobo? Oh I need new case too.. so feel free to share your findings.

Looking for something good.

Edit: Will need RAM too. 4-6Gb sticks are fine for me. Not going for 8-12Gb because it's not worth it as per my usage.

PS No AMD suggestions allowed.

Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

\Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131700

ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

I THINK THESE GO TOGETHER! :D

\Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W +1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131700

ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

or that one

btw. how much $ you want to spend ?

• Administrators

what do you use that takes so much RAM?

4-6Gb is fine, now a days. No? Even with few things open I reach 2Gb usage.. keeping another 2Gb for gaming? It's not that much :P

4-6Gb is not that much.

Around 600$ in total :P Isn't that mobo to expensive? I have bad experience with ASUS :P

hrm, for raw speed i'd stick with 4gb/32bit OS.

any i processor, i3, i5, i7 would be great, but any of the older ones would work. dual or quad cores.

as far as mobo's go, i use an nvidia 680i lt. it was about 120 bucks, but great for anything i need.

my case is a cooler master cm690. works for what i need. :)

hrm, for raw speed i'd stick with 4gb/32bit OS.

any i processor, i3, i5, i7 would be great, but any of the older ones would work. dual or quad cores.

as far as mobo's go, i use an nvidia 680i lt. it was about 120 bucks, but great for anything i need.

my case is a cooler master cm690. works for what i need. :)

When spending money on a new mobo/cpu you want it to last forthcoming years of computer improvement. So it's best to go for more modern stuff.

And as far as RAM goes, I don't do anything intensive, just PHP programming in a simple editor with syntax highlighting, and my 3GB just isn't enough, even with a really empty startup program list, and minimal services set to auto. If I had the money I'd upgrade to 6 to be safe.

MSI P67A-GD65 $179.99

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache $314.99

Kingston HyperX DDR3-1333 ,6GB (3 x 2GB) $76.99

i chose newegg because idk any sellers in US :embrass maybe you find a cheaper one

About Case idk

ps. i just build all my pc with Asus or MSI Mainboards, never had problems :P

When spending money on a new mobo/cpu you want it to last forthcoming years of computer improvement. So it's best to go for more modern stuff.

And as far as RAM goes, I don't do anything intensive, just PHP programming in a simple editor with syntax highlighting, and my 3GB just isn't enough, even with a really empty startup program list, and minimal services set to auto. If I had the money I'd upgrade to 6 to be safe.

what OS? notepad and a media player shouldn't be consuming 3gb. :)

i have a hard time hitting 3gb with 4 OS's loaded on my host.

that is a lot of RAM consumption.

what OS? notepad and a media player shouldn't be consuming 3gb. :)

i have a hard time hitting 3gb with 4 OS's loaded on my host.

that is a lot of RAM consumption.

Windows 7 obvs. (P.O.S)

Going to get back onto Linux when I sort my internet out though, so i'm not going to be buying any more.. Linux uses about 10% RAM with everything running lol.

• Administrators

Check your local Micro Center Dare, sometimes they are a lot cheaper than Newegg. I love Micro center, its like a day trip for me when I go in there.

1 year back I moved to gay state called Delaware. No Fry's and Micro Center around here. My only shopping buddy is e-stores and I don't want to buy from Rip Buy (best buy) and f***USA (Comp USA) stores because they are super expensive.

MSI is big no no for me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314&Tpk=N82E16820231314

Would probably go with above one. I Hate Kingston.

Dare, here's my 2 cents.

Motherboards

Based on your price range, I my preconception of what you use your computer for I would check these mother boards out. I think the Z68 motherboards are the better way to go at the moment. The X58 still has alot of bells/whistles but some of the chipsets are older.

Motherboards > LGA 1155 / Socket H2 > Intel Chipsets > Z68GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 Intel Z68 Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z68 Express, 1333MHz DDR3, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, CrossFire/SLI Ready-$179.99

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Intel Z68 Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z68 Express, DDR3 2200MHz (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, Bluetooth, CrossFireX/SLI Ready-$219.99

If 3x SLI is important to you, this is likely a good choice. It has great reviews on NewEgg

EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU

These seem to be the best bang for your buck right now, but they are a bit pricey still.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115071

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314&Tpk=N82E16820231314

Would probably go with above one. I Hate Kingston.

I have 8 gigs of that exact ram. I ran into a problem to where it said only 3.99 usable out of 8 gigs, but ever since i had my motherboard replaced i haven't noticed a problem :)

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you are going to be doing something that requires hyperthreading, I'd just go with the 2500k rather than the 2600k for a processor. $180 at microcenter versus 225 at newegg.

FYI - CompUsa is Tigerdirect.com's brick and mortar stores as the original CompUSA went out of business a few years ago and TigerDirect bought out their name and rebranded their Tiger Direct warehouses with the CompUSA name.

As for mobos I'd go with something from the Z68 chip line. The Gigabyte boards seem to require a dedicated gfx card, while most of the others have a integrated graphics processor which on some boards can be run with a dedicated gfx card and depending on what you run it can switch between which would be best for the task.

If you overclock and get a large CPU cooler, then you may have issues with something like the ripjaw's heatsink height being too high. Although I think most people manage to get it to fit, it is a tight fit so you may want to look at the g.skill sniper line if you want to insure a better fit. I've also read something about the sandy bridge chips preferring lower voltage ram (I think it was 1.5v rather than 1.65v), not sure if it really matters though.