Making website

*Sypher*

Hello there,

I got involved in some kind of project in my local area for which I had the idea to launch a new website.

The project already has a website, but that one isn't really a website you would enjoy visiting.

Lots of content is missing, which can be solved easily by spending some time on filling up the gaps and making new articles.

The real problem is the lay-out, so I'm looking for a kind of open source/freeware program which allows you to build your website.

I don't have any knowledge of codes actually, I only know some basic HTML rules and codes.

I will be learning several other languages like Java next year, but I don't know them yet by now.

So, does anyone know a free program with which I can build a nice looking website?

It shouldn't be something like a blog, or only photo site.

Actually, I found a website layout which I really like myself, and would like to make a similar one to the one of my project.

Does anyone know how to make a layout like this one?

The reason I like it is because it has an clear overview, showing 6 articles and a lovely menu at the top, through which you can find the information you want easily.

• Administrators

You can either use, Wordpress or Drupal. Don't use Joomla based on my personal experience. Oh, irony, we use Joomla at present.

The major issue with Joomla is:

Major version update sucks. Point release updates are fine and easy. If you decide to use Joomla use 1.6 which I don't suggest either.

Note: Make sure you always keep your version up to date and keep applying security patches as soon as they are releases or you will face webmaster nightmares of website being hacked.

OR

Just simple HTML coding and add static pages and be done with it. :)

If your running a pc, HTML KIT is pretty much like dreamweaver, the industry standard

If your running a mac and just looking for click and drag capability, the mac should of came installed with iWeb

For some help with codes you can go to

http://www.dynamicdrive.com

Thanks, I have watched several video's about this program and I quite like it I think.

I'm going to give it a try.

You can either use, Wordpress or Drupal. Don't use Joomla based on my personal experience. Oh, irony, we use Joomla at present.

The major issue with Joomla is:

Major version update sucks. Point release updates are fine and easy. If you decide to use Joomla use 1.6 which I don't suggest either.

Note: Make sure you always keep your version up to date and keep applying security patches as soon as they are releases or you will face webmaster nightmares of website being hacked.

OR

Just simple HTML coding and add static pages and be done with it. :)

Is the =F|A= site really based on Joomla?

I never thought you could make sites like =F|A= with it.

The Layout you are shown in youre Post is a CSS Box Style with CSS Menu.

(CSS = Cascading Style Sheet)

You can use Firefox with Firebug Addon to Analyse/Debug a Webside in Realtime.

It takes about 2-3 Houres to learn how you can make a Layout like this.

It is really not hard and it makes fun to work with.

All you need is Notepad.exe, to start.

If you want to learn, just ask Aunt Google for CSS Box Layout. ;-)

If you only want show Content, without a User Section or Forum you dont need

a CMS like Joomla, Drupal or else. Its not hard to make a static Website

how didnt have Dayly changing Content.

When you need a CMS cause you have Reg.Users or else spend 1 Day to learn a bit

over CSS, PHP and read the Doc. of the CMS how to create or change a Layout for

it.

At the End of the Day you will be able to create youre own first Layout for

youre Project. Sure it will have Bugs :-) but after 2 or 3 more Days

you have a Layout that will runs ;-)

Greets Uwe.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, I found a website layout which I really like myself, and would like to make a similar one to the one of my project.

Does anyone know how to make a layout like this one?

The reason I like it is because it has an clear overview, showing 6 articles and a lovely menu at the top, through which you can find the information you want easily.

It is a nice website. Only the menu is kind of annoying, in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

I see you are Dutch and so am I.

I should take the ordpress (http://www.wordpress.org) CMS system, there are much free templates avaible for this CMS, you don't need to know about html php mysql and so on.

If you want I can even help you installing it. There is also a dutch version of Wordpress, if you want I can give you the link.

Much of my costumers use wordpress, it's a light program and don't use much bandwith so you don't need and very expensive package of webhosting for it.

Send me a message if you want some help;)

Greetz