Yay cyst removal surgery!!! : D

KevinBacon

I had this huge lump in my back near my shoulder. I've had it for almost four years, and never really got it looked at until it started hurting last week. I had an appointment with a surgeon for this Wednesday, but the damn thing doubled in size and the pain only got worse. I didn't really want to wait that long to have it removed, and I only had a 5 dollar co-pay at the ER, so I went in and had it taken out this morning! After a few needles and some nifty scalpel work, here's what it looked like! Enjoy!

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

I have to take sponge baths for the next week...and there is gauze stuffed INSIDE of my back! But most of the pressure is gone, so that's cool.

If that was me I would have died from the infection before I would ever have seen a doctor. Doctors scare me... Like a kid who is scared of clowns.

I self prescribe :D if you would have put a lil pork fatback on that it would have came to a head in a few days.... or you could have died lol

Interesting. That white strip hanging out- is that the end of the gauze they filled the wound with?

Yessir, that's the little anti-bacterial ribbon they stuffed inside of me. I will be going back on Monday to have it replaced with another one.

The scalpel-work was the worst part. I was numbed up with some local for it, and did not feel any pain. But that didn't stop me from feeling the blade cut through every little fiber holding my skin together...I dunno. It was just a very icky feeling.

Thank you all for the best wishes, I wouldn't say I feel better yet. However a lot of the pressure I felt in my back is gone! Thank goodness for that!

But that didn't stop me from feeling the blade cut through every little fiber holding my skin together...I dunno. It was just a very icky feeling.

I know exactly what you mean I gave my thumb a inch and a half long cut to the bone 3 years back while cutting a rubber tube with a razor sharp box knife. Wish I was numbed up afterwards. Blade was so sharp going in that it didn't immediately hurt but I could sure feel that blade inside of my flesh. It is indeed a very unnerving feeling.

Yessir, that's the little anti-bacterial ribbon they stuffed inside of me. I will be going back on Monday to have it replaced with another one.

The scalpel-work was the worst part. I was numbed up with some local for it, and did not feel any pain. But that didn't stop me from feeling the blade cut through every little fiber holding my skin together...I dunno. It was just a very icky feeling.

Thank you all for the best wishes, I wouldn't say I feel better yet. However a lot of the pressure I felt in my back is gone! Thank goodness for that!

Yeah man, alot of people think the local (likely 1% lido with epi, or bupivacaine with epi) makes you completely numb. In fact it's just a pain blocker, but you can still feel the touch sensations. Plus there's usually alot of pain from the pressure already, and the local doesn't work as deep as the wound goes. Plus those abscesses are just plain painful to begin with from what I understand.

From what I can tell by the pics..it looks like the doc/P.A. did a good job. Occasionally they'll put butterfly strips on it just to help hold the packing in a bit, but still let the incision drain. That cotton strip is commonly called iodoform packing (there are also non-iodoform packing strips). It's a pretty common procedure to see performed in the ER. Did they get alot of drainage out of it that you know of?

Best of luck healing up man. Just lay low and keep the area clean and it should heal up okay.