ET Ways to reduce ping

• Platinum VIP

Hi guys....

Just for the record....

This is just for the sake of discussion...

But for some of us, (like myself) with exceptionally high ping... surely there are ways to lower it a little more slightly. 

Some options i have heard from others are:

1. Get a better Internet service provider

2. Try a VPN proxy

3. Relocate altogether (something i cant do anytime soon) lol

But if by chance any of you might know a thing or two or any other alternatives to lower the ping factor... Please join in on the conversation

Thank You.

17 minutes ago, HaLLoWeeN said:

2. Try a VPN proxy

You can try this one, but you will need an authorization from @daredevil i think. @RedBaird could you confirm about that? 

• Thanks 1

• Leader
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, !MX said:

You can try this one, but you will need an authorization from @daredevil i think. @RedBaird could you confirm about that? 

Yes, a Founder would have to authorize that.  DD or @RainierWolfcastle or the absent "Joe Dirt".

We can discuss this in private on Discord.  Don't PM me on the forums as my mailbox is getting 'fuller' again. :( 

(If you have already sent me a forum PM, then you can just use that "thread" again.  It seems that our PM-limits are based on 'threads' and not on the total number of PMs. 😄 )

ADDED:  Oops!  I don't see your Discord ID in your profile! 😮 

Edited by RedBaird
ADDED line
  • Haha 2

another simple solution is to connect to a server with a lower ping. I think some servers are hosted in the New Jersey and some in Germany.

• Like 1

• Leader
1 hour ago, Lagging Noob said:

another simple solution is to connect to a server with a lower ping. I think some servers are hosted in the New Jersey and some in Germany.

He is Way Down Under and has a time zone problem for finding well-populated servers.  :( 

• Platinum VIP

Here are few that i found and can be easily test

1. Close software you’re not using

2. Remove other devices from the network

3. Reset your internet connection

4. Use a wired internet connection

5. Remove Wi-Fi obstructions if you can't use wired

6. Update router/modem

7. Update ethernet cables

8. Set up port forwarding or policies on router to prioritize certain traffic

9. Don't use old power strips or equipment that may introduce non-grounded electrical noise

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, HaLLoWeeN said:

Hi guys....

Just for the record....

This is just for the sake of discussion...

But for some of us, (like myself) with exceptionally high ping... surely there are ways to lower it a little more slightly. 

Some options i have heard from others are:

1. Get a better Internet service provider

2. Try a VPN proxy

3. Relocate altogether (something i cant do anytime soon) lol

But if by chance any of you might know a thing or two or any other alternatives to lower the ping factor... Please join in on the conversation

Thank You.

About 1: yes, but i had 1000mb internet before, now 300 mb only and still play good, no problem if your provider is good

About 2: yes, just ask FA if you can use it, and depends wich one (i play good with noping) after that you enter and connect with the city near the server (i always connect with Strasbourg)

About 3: is not really necessary

With better ping , you can play with more FPS avoiding the annoying message "connection interrupted". My normal ping from Argentina to Germany is 220, and i can play with 160 with noping (in silent1 i play with 120 ping, normal is 150). With this reduction, i can play with 200 fps in a 240hz screen. Perhaps, could help you this: +set com_zoneMegs "128" , but you need to put this into the properties of ET.

Capturadepantalla(372).thumb.png.4349e1b7525fa40c659c2e2049c20dbd.png

Edited by Betinho

Posted (edited)

An obvious one is use ethernet instead of WiFi, is like 30ms difference in my experience.

A VPN I can recommend in Cloudflare WARP, they are the best VPN in terms on smart routing, because Cloudflare has so many servers and so many websites use their servers, they have high speed routes between them

But as mentioned earlier, discuss with admins first before use a VPN

Edited by LesleyXYZ
  • Like 1

try these commands in console:

/set rate 25000

/set snaps 20

/set cl_maxpackets 100

/set cl_timenudge -10

On 5/18/2024 at 1:42 AM, LesleyXYZ said:

An obvious one is use ethernet instead of WiFi

Yes, that is pretty much the only thing you can do . Getting faster internet connection might not help, because ping primarily depends on your ISP packet routing and not your internet speed. You can have better ping with slower internet but better routing. 

11 hours ago, tideman said:

/set cl_maxpackets 100

With legacy you can have maxpackets 125.

11 hours ago, tideman said:

/set rate 25000

25000 rate is smth people used in 2005, with 12 Mbit/s connections.  That is way too low. In Jay1 rate defaults to 45000.