Did i fry my cpu?

C3jZi

I have a Ryzen 5 2400g cpu with Vega 11 APU

A week ago i found a video online on yt regarding AMERNIME drivers increasing performance.

I wanted to try it (even tho i knew it wouldnt be a high perf boost)

I install them, my drivers change and it shows Vega 6 APU everything is messed up i try to play apex legends my pc crashes and wont turn on.

Somehow it runs and i get onto windows i use DDU and uninstall all drivers and install recommended ones and now rverything is back to normal.

I play, turn off.

Tomorrow i play again with a friend, pc just shuts down and wont turn on, everything including rgb on keyboard etc. is running except no signal on the monitor.

Absolutely no signal no matter how long i wait, iresseted the cmos battery, the cpu fan is running but no signal.

Did i kill my cpu? Do i need to get a new one?

I am asking this because i want to buy an rtx 2060 including new keyboard and mouse but dont know if my cpu is dead hence maybe just the APU is dead?

• Sad 1

Assuming it's hardware and after your story of drivers the o/s environment still sounds suspicious (enough that I would consider running a bootable thumb drive with a graphics bench mark utility on it to do a burn in test overnight).   If I follow correctly, it computer seems stable, but when you play a game it crashes.  CPU's have thermal protection, I'd be suspicious of the power supply.   That 2060 vid card is going to want almost 200W for itself, so you need to make sure power supply is beefy enough anyway.   However that is just a guess, you only have one motherboard, 1 cpu/apu, probably 1 memory card & 1 power supply.   Without component swapping it can be difficult to tell. 

• Like 1

if this problem is with me, i would tryied desmont the mobo and vgu and remont, remont with new silver past (termic isolant) and a new power supply and a new and clean operacional system.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Magi said:

Does you get the bios screen? Are you hooked up via hdmi?

Nope no signal on the monitor at all.

4 hours ago, Daddy said:

if this problem is with me, i would tryied desmont the mobo and vgu and remont, remont with new silver past (termic isolant) and a new power supply and a new and clean operacional system.

Well yeah but it has nothing to do with the PSU, correct me if im wrong, but not that i shouldnt trying that. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, RedBaird said:

I know the same as you my friend, i just know that in the Adrenalin software it sections the i tergrated graphics driver as APU, but is interfrates graphis in a cpu i guess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blunt said:

Assuming it's hardware and after your story of drivers the o/s environment still sounds suspicious (enough that I would consider running a bootable thumb drive with a graphics bench mark utility on it to do a burn in test overnight).   If I follow correctly, it computer seems stable, but when you play a game it crashes.  CPU's have thermal protection, I'd be suspicious of the power supply.   That 2060 vid card is going to want almost 200W for itself, so you need to make sure power supply is beefy enough anyway.   However that is just a guess, you only have one motherboard, 1 cpu/apu, probably 1 memory card & 1 power supply.   Without component swapping it can be difficult to tell. 

I have the supported hardware and PSU for the gpu. But thats not the kost iloortant detail, according to your story theres still a chance i could get it to work? But i cant even get into bios so what would a bootable drive do.

• Leader
11 minutes ago, C3jZi said:

I know the same as you my friend, i just know that in the Adrenalin software it sections the i tergrated graphics driver as APU, but is interfrates graphis in a cpu i guess.

I added that to inform other readers of your topic.  The only "APU" that I was aware of was the "Auxiliary Power Units" found on airliners and other aircraft. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, C3jZi said:

Nope no signal on the monitor at all.

You mentioned everything else runs? Keyboard, cpu fan, mouse etc? Can you hear the harddrive trying to boot?

If you can't get to the bios..its maybe worth a shot remounting the ram one by one to see if you can at least get the bios to come up.

so u cant get the bios to post .  i would try this .. disconnect the power supply and the cmos battery. wait 5 mins .. hook back up. if everything is on do u have sound .. just no os loading what o/s is it? try diff monitor. ?

also disconnect and reconnect your hdd ..  try a diff sata port .? i had a sata port burnout on me before did just what u explain.  just throwing up some suggestions. 

pc specs would make it a little easier to help u ..

• Like 2
  • 100 1

3 hours ago, captnconcrete said:

so u cant get the bios to post .  i would try this .. disconnect the power supply and the cmos battery. wait 5 mins .. hook back up. if everything is on do u have sound .. just no os loading what o/s is it? try diff monitor. ?

also disconnect and reconnect your hdd ..  try a diff sata port .? i had a sata port burnout on me before did just what u explain.  just throwing up some suggestions. 

pc specs would make it a little easier to help u ..

7 hours ago, Magi said:

You mentioned everything else runs? Keyboard, cpu fan, mouse etc? Can you hear the harddrive trying to boot?

If you can't get to the bios..its maybe worth a shot remounting the ram one by one to see if you can at least get the bios to come up.

So i had a busy day, didnt have time to try and answer, tomorrow after work ill do those steps maybe it still isnt dead yet fully, i thing thst the igpu broke but who knows, tomorrow after work ill try those steps and will update you guys.

Specs

mobo- gugabyte AB350

Ram 16 gb OC 2666mhz

Cpu ryxen 5 2400g

Hdd 1 tb

Ssd 250gb

PSU 550w

• Like 2

I don't think that you can fry a Ryzen G model with a faulty driver or bios settings. The temperature thresholds for first throttling, then shutting down to prevent overheating for CPUs, GPUs or APUs are usually saved on the chips themselves in a read-only register. In some enthusiast models you can write to this register as well and change the temperature values (e.g. TJ Max), but in the case of AMD Ryzens I would expect this to be reserved to the 'X' models.

Often times one makes connections where there are actually none. Therefore I would first recommend to make absolutely certain that your video output cable (HDMI/DP) is correctly hooked up to your monitor and PC. Best do this by unplugging it and then plugging it back in. Whenever I had the issue of no monitor signal, it usually was because a cable became loose and unhooked without me noticing it.

If this doesn't work, make sure that the CMOS is properly reset to the default settings. As Captconcrete said, make sure that you have removed the battery of the mainboard for at least 5 minutes before you put it back in or reset the CMOS by using a jumper if your motherboard has one for resetting the CMOS. Even if you cannot boot into the OS for a myriad of reasons (like a faulty hard drive), at least the BIOS should load.

Keep us updated!

• 100 3

@captnconcrete, @Magi, @Lt Steiner.

So guys, I am glad to announce that I am again into my pc, seems to work fine, it took a a minute or 2 to boot up.

My concern is now this, i got into my pc the last time by resetting the cmos battery, and i've done it again the same way as you guys advised, i haven't ran any games yet, and won't by now.
Is there a way to check cpu health, or some diagnostics, or any troubleshooting software in that manner.

As shown in the cpu.png u can see the cpu uti at 15% and 3.3 ghz speed its going from 2% to 20% the whole time and speed is changing, i dont know if that is normal this is the first time im monitoring this behaviour.

memory speed is back at 2400mhz, as i swapped the sticks places, i will overclock the again some time but not now until im sure everything is fine.

i want to update my bios too to the newest recommended optimized version too but not yet, until im sure everything is fine.

my concern now is, i am not sure if i run a game now and my pc crashes again and ill have to reset cmos again to get into it.
what now?

Edit: thank you beautiful people for your time!

mem.PNG.4a4fce290cd7e304c689403666d7401e.PNG

cpu.PNG.b00392de0a957d17893ad2f418d05f3d.PNG

Edited by C3jZi