Did i fry my cpu?

C3jZi

Sorry about earlier, didn't realize no access to BIOS.  A couple of popular stress tests below, both are free if you use the basic version.   But since you can get into windows now, consider making a boot thumb drive with tests.

OCCT
https://www.ocbase.com/download

PCMark 10 Basic Edition (but you have to download on steam)
https://benchmarks.ul.com/pcmark10

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C3jZi said:

Is there a way to check cpu health, or some diagnostics, or any troubleshooting software in that manner.

There should be a health check in the bios.

You could try 3rd party software. I'm sure there's some freeware that you could find. Just do a search for PC system diagnostics software/voltage in google.

Just for giggles..

The bios should  tell you what the voltage is on that cmos battery. it should be 3-3.5 volts, you can always use a volt meter too. If that voltage is too low you could have a bad battery.

Is the PSU fan running? Or is it dead? Do you have volt meter to check the correct voltage that is supplied to the motherboard? If the voltage is too low, you could have a bad psu.

The bios should also tell you as well what voltage you're pulling from the psu but I think only on main components?

I use a software called cputemp from time to time to make sure my cpus not overheating. Theres a ton of stuff out there though.

• Like 1

My concern is now this, i got into my pc the last time by resetting the cmos battery, and i've done it again the same way as you guys advised, i haven't ran any games yet, and won't by now.
Is there a way to check cpu health, or some diagnostics, or any troubleshooting software in that manner.

It's rare that the CPU takes damage and if it does, the damage shows itself in system crashes. To make sure that your CPU is alright, you can therefore put it under stress and see if that produces a system crash or not.

The go-to program for that purpose would be Prime95. Let it run for 10 minutes to an hour and if no system crash happens, you should be in the clear. Keep in mind that Prime95 will utilise your CPU fully, so you can't use the PC otherwise while running it.

To make sure your CPU cooling is sufficient, you can also record the CPU temperatures and frequencies while running Prime 95, e.g. with Core Temp. If your CPU gets too hot, it will start throttling (frequency goes down).

As shown in the cpu.png u can see the cpu uti at 15% and 3.3 ghz speed its going from 2% to 20% the whole time and speed is changing, i dont know if that is normal this is the first time im monitoring this behaviour.

This is normal, especially  because your SSD was in usage, your PC was not idling. Even when idling the CPU utilisation will always go up a bit from time to time because of background processes becoming active sporadically and taking up CPU time.

my concern now is, i am not sure if i run a game now and my pc crashes again and ill have to reset cmos again to get into it.
what now?

If you have sensitive and important data on your hard disks you want to keep, you should first back them up if you haven't done so already.

Personally I wouldn't even bother to test each hardware component for faultiness just yet (like Prime 95 for the CPU, Memtest for your RAM sticks or Furmark or some other benchmark for your graphics processor). I would just use the PC normally and be vigilant for any "abnormal" behavior, especially system crashes. Only if these problems keep happening, I would suspect faulty hardware and then try to single out the culprit.

So my recommendation would be: Start up a game and see what happens.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 100 1

• 1 month later...