ET Official Enemy Territory Servers started

ASBO

• Inactive Member

Thats actually great info. Hope to see more players around soon I will def try it :)

• Like 2

That's great news! Coupled with the release of ET on Steam and the Windows Store, this renewed interest in the game by Bethesda could be indicative of bigger things to come: Remaster? Remake? Spiritual sequel?

Was quite surprised as well to see weapons skins from Enemy Territory: Quake Wars added to Quake Champions. Maybe the rumored new Quake game actually is not a Quake game per se but a sequel to Quake Wars. Time will tell.

• Like 2

I'm not seeing the good tbh, they are basically saying all other servers are "not official" which some newbs would interpret as "not safe etc" and they are taking players away from FA by directing to "official servers".

As if ET needs more servers, luckily most of FA's players are regs and would stick with FA regardless but newer players to ET will gravitate to the "official" servers

• Like 3

• Inactive Member

This is what I think:

Its minigame in game - lot of players will try it 2-3 times because its new and because its nostalgic, no one gonna even be regular on unmoderated server at all.

I dont even think they will took our players, I think some will try few times and thats all.

Also playbase its mostly from long time players, no one gonna think about official/unofficial servers. atleast from my POV

Its good thing because new platform - new players. Some will stop after few hour and some will search for another good regular moderated servers after they get bored here so it means new players in general and probably some also for us.

Also as mentioned, I dont think they do this in our lovely old game for non reason.

I bet there will be something behind it too.

Yeah agree with remaster that would be pretty sick 😄

Even in my new work 2 of new ppl I met play ET , lol!

Edited by rMks
  • Like 1

• Leader
On 9/7/2022 at 10:36 AM, ASBO said:

I had missed that line and was scanning the ET Server Browser for "Bethesda" servers, or whatever, and I came across the servers.  This is the first time that I looked for them. 😄 

From their webpage:  "Official servers will be named: “id Software Official Vanilla Server – (Region)”

image.thumb.jpeg.c5a8cabb665f1fe4be70c135a4088696.jpeg

I don't see any familiar names on the UK or the US server right now, except for "ETPlayer". 😄 

The US and UK servers are running ETLegacy server software.  // The two that I did check, so far. //

Edited by RedBaird

2 hours ago, RedBaird said:

The US and UK servers are running ETLegacy server software.  

They did not ask or even give any credit to the legacy Devs from what I have read on discord 🤦‍♂️

• Administrators
3 hours ago, ASBO said:

They did not ask or even give any credit to the legacy Devs from what I have read on discord 🤦‍♂️

And why they need to give any credit? Lot's folks use silent mod or jaymod? Do admins give credit for ANY mod? Problem in life, people want recognition for doing something. I don't see any banners on any server, mentioning, Thanks to Jaymod develops: Names or silent mod: names or NQ: Names. 

ETL is build upon their work, so I don't see any issue. We should do something because we like doing it and not just because we need 'credit' of it. 

• Like 3
  • 100 4

12 hours ago, daredevil said:

And why they need to give any credit? Lot's folks use silent mod or jaymod? Do admins give credit for ANY mod? Problem in life, people want recognition for doing something. I don't see any banners on any server, mentioning, Thanks to Jaymod develops: Names or silent mod: names or NQ: Names. 

ETL is build upon their work, so I don't see any issue. We should do something because we like doing it and not just because we need 'credit' of it. 

Common decency... they did lots of work, improved to the point where the original devs thought it was a better idea to use it compared to just re-releasing, just a simple reach out email to them, didn't have to be a public declaration

Poor form in my book

• Haha 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, ASBO said:

Common decency... they did lots of work, improved to the point where the original devs thought it was a better idea to use it compared to just re-releasing, just a simple reach out email to them, didn't have to be a public declaration

Poor form in my book

I have different perspective... Original dev's thought it was ready and they released it.. but then 2.6b patch came as well. Like any software, their are revisions but at some point, companies stop supporting because of profit/loss basis. 

Now, ETL wouldn't be able to enhance server engine if W:ET original dev's didn't made code public. So if anything ETL Dev, should thank you, W:ET Dev team.  For Ex: silEnT mod work was based on ETPUB code, so we thanked them: https://mygamingtalk.com/wiki/Silent_Credits

"We are greatly thankful to the ETPub dev team and the community, since silEnT mod was started from the ETPub version 0.9.1."

Now it's the admins, players, who should thank ETL Dev if they feel like it rather then W:ET Dev to ETL team.  

My approach is different: People should do, what they like doing i.e. help others, where they can and contributing to community. Expectation is what kills the happiness or 'at least for me'. 

• Like 3

• Leader

I played a few maps just to get the feel. Its fun to relive original settings/maps but it didn't take long a cheater came and emptied the server. With no admins and no anti-cheat it wont last long.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • 100 1

• Administrators
15 hours ago, rambozo37 said:

I played a few maps just to get the feel. Its fun to relive original settings/maps but it didn't take long a cheater came and emptied the server. With no admins and no anti-cheat it wont last long.

Initial draft to ban players is ready, so same proxies, cheaters, etc. can be banned on ETL. We need to test it. Let me put it on test server. 

AC detection like other mods will not be in place in first draft though. I am not sure when we will have second to be fair for all.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2022 at 5:56 PM, Snuffs99 said:

I'm not seeing the good tbh, they are basically saying all other servers are "not official" which some newbs would interpret as "not safe etc" and they are taking players away from FA by directing to "official servers".

Good point, some ppl might think like his but, fortunetly, in last days i met few new players who asked how to join team. At least 2 of them joined on another day so maybe their move will populate ET and even FA servers 😁 something like with steam realase

• Like 2

I don't think the servers will be any competition to the community-run servers due to obvious shortcomings (only the original maps, no moderation and no Anti-Cheat --> cheater galore). As rambozo said, all it takes is one idiot to spoil the fun for everyone.

But besides showing Bethesda's interest in the IP, it's basically another round of free publicity for ET after the Steam release. Gaming news sites here in Germany have reported extensively both about the rerelease on Steam as well as now about the implementation of official servers. I've skimmed some of the comment sections and they were full with people reminiscing about playing ET back in the day and showing interest in returning. Any measure that brings in new players (even if they only end up on the official servers) is good for the community.

• Like 4