ET Server Suggestion Bot wait time after spawning

Vindstot

it seems to me its when u have like 6 or so more on each team then like 3 or so on one team leave after map . then it goes wonky . if that makes sense.

sumtimes !shufflekills helps. it usually works its self out in first five mins of map.we dont have same flow of traffic on jay2  so its little easier to handle. but it can kill the server quick.

9 minutes ago, TBAR Flash said:

My suggestion, as often mentioned online:

Please disable all bots (on Beg2) in a game with 10 vs. 10 players.

Thanks.

And there will be no longer this problem.

wouldnt there still be a issue when bawts are added back when people start to leave.

13 hours ago, Vindstot said:

About the Bots connecting to the server problem, I am trying to see what the pattern in that is. But so far I still cant say any more than to me it appears to be completely random

It is not more than 3 bots connecting to server at any time however.

But! It only affects one team at a time, according to my observation

Ayy Vind's back, long time no see bud.

I managed to recreate the issue when I was testing with DD and Shana, don't remember when that was but it was a while ago, like mid 2021 - will have to look through my demos or Disco chat logs to find when. From what I remember, the issue was caused by the bots being added to the server shortly before warmup ends. Usually it happens when someone disconnects just before the end of warmup because the bots auto balance teams. For example, it's 9 Allies vs 10 Axis - if an Allied player leaves the server, a bot would join Allies, if this happens at the right moment, the bot will be stuck on CONNECTING after the warmup. I don't know how long the issue lasts after it happens, just how we managed to make it happen.

Mehmet's first screenshot shows 5 connecting bots on Allies and 2 connecting bots on Axis, the small file size and mission timer seems to suggest warmup just ended. I would guess 7 people left (or crashed given the size of the map) during the time leading up to the end of the warmup.

I think the reason this issue is so common is cause people, including myself, tend to stick around just for warmup to chat or cool down after playing a few maps and then leave before the match starts. On larger servers there's a short window after the countdown timer reaches 0 and just before the match starts where the server lags. This gives a good time to hit escape or /quit which seems to cause the issue. Also, the game's pretty janky at times so crashes can happen client side when the server loads a bunch of stuff just before match starts.

A temporary fix might be to have a custom !resetbots command for levels 16+ that would just do /bot maxbots 0, wait a few seconds for the bots to be removed, then /bot maxbots X to restore the bots back to the server's normal amount - that being X. Maybe there's already an available command like that within omni-bot, I dunno but I don't remember where I installed my local test server so don't think it's me worth checking - I've just got too many ET installations to look through 😅

Mehmet's screenshots show just how bad it can get at times when people are being forced to join a team with more players (13v6!!!), if there's no admins around then things usually don't tend to get fixed for a while.

On 9/9/2022 at 4:07 AM, daredevil said:

Problem is - I don't have easy mechanism on re-creating it. @ElEl in the past had found some method on re-creating it but I am unable to do so in local Env. 

So if anyone can help - that would be great. I want this to be fixed as well.

If you want I can look through my demos and share them so people can copy the timing and setup of when it was recreated. Though I think all I did was type /reconnect when there was less than 2 seconds left of warmup and I was on a team - when I loaded back in, there was a bot stuck on CONNECTING. If I remember correctly, Shana was on Axis and someone else was on Allies.

I'm pretty busy these days, I've barely played ET or been around on Discord, I'd help out if I could I just don't have time to dedicate to it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • 100 1

15 hours ago, Vindstot said:

So if it can be on both teams,

Seen it with both teams at once a few times but you can usually still only join the 1 team until it sorts itself out and end up with a big imbalance, as per @mehmet post.

• Like 1