Config not loading

Nikolai
Go to solution Solved by Nikolai,

3 minutes ago, Ins4ne said:

I really dunno..

If you have nikolai.cfg in etmain then you have to do /exec nikolai.cfg in game or just save this config with name autoexec.cfg

It's all that come to my mind when your config isn't loading when game starts, if you broke your config then game would just crash

Yeah... As a temporary solution I just copy-pasted my real config to the ''etconfig'' file that the game created me... So basically I have 2 same configs in the folder, but with a different name. Seemed to work.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nikolai said:

seta name "^jNikolai"

In your new cfg file, I would also try to change the above line to the following:

seta name "Nikolai"

2 hours ago, Nikolai said:

seta cg_selectedPlayerName "^jNikolai"

And this one to:

seta cg_selectedPlayerName "Nikolai"

Then try executing it again from the game console with:  /exec Nikolai.cfg

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP
3 hours ago, Nikolai said:

what do you mean with error messages?

I don't get any error messages. 

If you execute your script from console it general shows a message like "script xyz.cfg executed" - but if there where errors in the sctipt it will show it alsow - above that line. But if you got no error this just forgett about my comment. I've just want to ask if yout got one.

6 hours ago, Cross Marian said:

In your new cfg file, I would also try to change the above line to the following:

seta name "Nikolai"

And this one to:

seta cg_selectedPlayerName "Nikolai"

Then try executing it again from the game console with:  /exec Nikolai.cfg

I will try this today! Good point.

Make sure the file type on your new config is .cfg, and not just named .cfg, There's a big difference.  If you open a new document and name it Nikolai.cfg and don't have file extensions turned on in windows settings, you actually just created a file named "Nikolai.cfg.txt", you just don't see that it's a .txt file.

This could be why when you copied it into your default cfg it worked, since it's already a .cfg file.

If you don't want to go through the trouble of turning on file extensions, just right click and make another copy of any cfg file, delete everything in it, paste your settings in there, and then just name it "Nikolai".  Don't add .cfg because it's already a .cfg file.  If you do this you'll end up having to type /exec Nikolai.cfg.cfg.

I don't know anything about running ET through steam but your problem is exactly what would happen if you made this mistake and the temporary work around you found is also exactly what would happen.

Hope this makes sense.

Also, unless you're making different specific configs for each mod, put the config in etmain only, it's just redundant to add to all of them.  It's been a long time since I've had different configs for different mods (think it was just scripts in different folders) so I don't remember correctly, but you might have to add the path to mod in your execution.  ex. /exec Jaymod/Nikolai.cfg.  Too lazy to test this though so for your situation just follow the above steps and just put it in etmain.

• 100 2

• Leader
4 hours ago, Haruhi Suzumiya said:

don't have file extensions turned on in windows settings, you actually just created a file named "Nikolai.cfg.txt",

YES, I had forgotten ALL about that!   I have always had "extensions visible" in Windows, having been used to seeing them in DOS. 😄

Some old-time hackers and malware used to name their programs  "pickture.jpg.exe" and without 'extensions visible', Windows did not show the EXE part, fooling some into clicking on it.  They had expected to see a jpg-picture, but actually ran a program.   I say "old time" because modern anti-crap software mostly protects us from almost all of such tricks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Haruhi Suzumiya said:

Make sure the file type on your new config is .cfg, and not just named .cfg, There's a big difference.  If you open a new document and name it Nikolai.cfg and don't have file extensions turned on in windows settings, you actually just created a file named "Nikolai.cfg.txt", you just don't see that it's a .txt file.

This could be why when you copied it into your default cfg it worked, since it's already a .cfg file.

If you don't want to go through the trouble of turning on file extensions, just right click and make another copy of any cfg file, delete everything in it, paste your settings in there, and then just name it "Nikolai".  Don't add .cfg because it's already a .cfg file.  If you do this you'll end up having to type /exec Nikolai.cfg.cfg.

I don't know anything about running ET through steam but your problem is exactly what would happen if you made this mistake and the temporary work around you found is also exactly what would happen.

Hope this makes sense.

Also, unless you're making different specific configs for each mod, put the config in etmain only, it's just redundant to add to all of them.  It's been a long time since I've had different configs for different mods (think it was just scripts in different folders) so I don't remember correctly, but you might have to add the path to mod in your execution.  ex. /exec Jaymod/Nikolai.cfg.  Too lazy to test this though so for your situation just follow the above steps and just put it in etmain.

That's what I checked first, I did not name it .cfg, and it is actually a cfg file.

1. delete all files from the ET folder in Steam and insert the usual ET 2.60b or ETLegacy there (and dont forget to rename ETL.exe to ET.exe, if you use ETL client)
2. make sure that you have deleted autoexec.cfg in all mod folders

i think this should help. i play through steam, but i used the 1st method: i just deleted all files and inserted my regular ETLegacy files, with the renamed .exe file to ET.exe

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Valk said:

Is your config saved in notepad? Also the version of ET from steam, is legacy I believe. So make sure it's in there properly.

it's a cfg file

Edited by Nikolai

1 hour ago, DIM said:

1. delete all files from the ET folder in Steam and insert the usual ET 2.60b or ETLegacy there (and dont forget to rename ETL.exe to ET.exe, if you use ETL client)
2. make sure that you have deleted autoexec.cfg in all mod folders

i think this should help. i play through steam, but i used the 1st method: i just deleted all files and inserted my regular ETLegacy files, with the renamed .exe file to ET.exe

Didn't find any autoexecs in folders either.

• Confused 1

i used to use the way you are doing it what i would do is rename the cfg  you want to execute to         etconfig.cfg      and REPLACE the etconfig  file in profiles with it dont just add it beside the old cfg make sure you delete the old one

also make sure you are running the game as administrator 

Edited by MikeSlayer
  • 100 1

Maybe it's just easier to create a cfg file with your config, call it for example name.cfg and put it in etmain folder. Then in the game you can /bind p exec name.cfg and all you have to do is just press "P" key when you join the game. "P" key is just example, you can choose every button you like.

Edited by yaku

2 minutes ago, yaku said:

Maybe it's just easier to create a cfg file with your config, call it for example name.cfg and put it in etmain folder. Then in the game you can /bind p exec name.cfg and all you have to do is just press "P" key when you join the game. "P" key is just example, you can choose every button you like.

Yeah I have to go around the problem somehow 😄