cvar

bigbro
Go to solution Solved by GHARIB,

this warning appears when you set a wrong string in your cvar.

In this case (0) for /com_maxfps

I have tested myself :

Capture.PNG.2e97b41f9d880ee2ac67eb754394ab6e.PNG

The cvar is not accepted and not set after the error.

22 minutes ago, bigbro said:

i keep getting this its only when i use my mouse 

I am sure that you have bound "/seta com_maxfps (0)" in a key, used by the mouse.

Please check your binds in your configs / try to find with key is bound - you certainly have bound mouse key by error.

Edited by GHARIB
  • Like 1
  • 100 1

He will also get that error message if the bind is missing a semicolon between declarations like this: "...;com_maxFPS 71 cg_crosshairSize 32;..."

The engine is trying to parse "71 cg_crosshairSize 32", for example, as a number and can't do it safely.

ET 2.60b fails quietly but ET Legacy throws that error message to let you know you failed to set com_maxFPS and it has reverted to a safe default.

Edited by the cake is a lie
changed the FPS used in my example for clarity
  • Like 3
  • 100 1

6 minutes ago, the cake is a lie said:

He will also get that error message if the bind is missing a semicolon between declarations like this: "...;com_maxFPS 125 cg_crosshairSize 32;..."

The engine is trying to parse "125 cg_crosshairSize 32", for example, as a number and can't do it safely.

ET 2.60b fails quietly but ET Legacy throws that error message to let you know you failed to set com_maxFPS and it has reverted to a safe default.

+1 !

I have forgoten to mention a parse error!

Anyway, in this case @bigbro you could share your cfg

Edited by GHARIB
  • Like 1

• Solution

Check these lines :

bind mouse1 "+attack;com_maxfps 100"
bind mouse2 "+moveup;com_maxfps 125"

set com_maxFPS 125

---------->

Please remove com_maxfps from mouse1 and mouse 2

bind mouse1 "+attack"
bind mouse2 "+moveup"

Add double quotes here

set com_maxFPS "125"

Edited by GHARIB
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, GHARIB said:

Check these lines :

bind mouse1 "+attack;com_maxfps 100"
bind mouse2 "+moveup;com_maxfps 125"

set com_maxFPS 125

---------->

Please remove com_maxfps from mouse1 and mouse 2

bind mouse1 "+attack"
bind mouse2 "+moveup"

Add double quotes here

set com_maxFPS "125"

thanks thats worked a treat

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP
1 minute ago, Blunt said:

I thought I read somewhere it was best to drop from 125 to 76 or 43 for performance when 125 no good.    Does 100 work well for you?

You should always use a number equal to 1000/n where n is a positive integer, so like

etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Blunt said:

I thought I read somewhere it was best to drop from 125 to 76 or 43 for performance when 125 no good.    Does 100 work well for you?

Well, it depends on the server. Some servers have g_fixedPhysicsFPS 125 enabled, so you will jump as if you had constant 125 fps, no matter your actual fps. Some server don't have that enabled. So yes, 43, 76, 125, 333 fps gives you more jump hight.

Here is a demonstration of this . Video is recorded in FA BEG2. AFAIK NQ1 also has the same issue.

TL:DR some servers have FPS dependent physics and some servers do not.

• Thanks 2
  • 100 1

Now I remember, been at least 15 years since I read anything on this subject.  Forums back then would point to Quake III posts.   There is another odd advantage with that game engine that gave you a speed advantage, jumping while strafing.   I still add that wiggle to my in-game play today.

5 hours ago, Blunt said:

Now I remember, been at least 15 years since I read anything on this subject.  Forums back then would point to Quake III posts.   There is another odd advantage with that game engine that gave you a speed advantage, jumping while strafing.   I still add that wiggle to my in-game play today.

Yes, in Q3 engine there are three types of jumping that gives you more speed - circle jumping (CJ), strafe jumping (SJ) and some mods had  bunny hopping (BH) too. In Q3 you could combine CJ and SJ and accelerate with every jump, in regular ET you can only accelerate using CJ and SJ while you do it down hill or on small decline. On flat ground you can only CJ but you cannot combine jumps to accelerate, you will loose your speed after each CJ.

In ET servers where double jump (DJ) is enabled you can combine CJ, SJ and DJ and accelerate with every jump (similar to Q3).

Edited by HarryAimpotter
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 5:50 PM, Dest!Ny said:

You should always use a number equal to 1000/n where n is a positive integer, so like

etc

You right @Dest!Ny and it is very important!

Quake3 engine can only render this valid values : Frame rates (FPS) = int(1000 / N)

for example If your monitor supports 144 and can't support 166 -> it should be set to 142 or 125 , if you set 144, it will try to render the higher range in this case 166 FPS, and it will render bad stuffs 😛

1000/1 = 1000
1000/2 = 500
1000/3 = 333
1000/4 = 250
1000/5 = 200
1000/6 = 166
1000/7 = 142-------------->144
1000/8 = 125
1000/9 = 111-------------->120
1000/10 = 100
1000/11 = 90
1000/12 = 83
1000/13 = 76
1000/14 = 71-------------->75
1000/15 = 66
1000/16 = 62
1000/17 = 58-------------->60

Edited by GHARIB
  • Like 1
  • 100 1

3 hours ago, GHARIB said:

You right @Dest!Ny and it is very important!

Quake3 engine can only render this valid values : Frame rates (FPS) = int(1000 / N)

for example If your monitor handles 144 and can't handles 166 -> it should be se to 142 or 125 , if you set 144, it will try to render the higher range in this case 166 FPS, and it will render bad stuffs 😛

Yep i stupidly set mine to 144 in cfg when i got a 144 refresh rate monitor and it did take me a little while to realise why it was capping at 166 instead of 144. I'm back to 125 now though, just works better for me

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 100 1

• 2 months later...

I changed up some monitors a few weeks back and didn't realize Windows defaulted me back to 60Hz rather than setting me to 144Hz. 

I totally noticed a difference, warning to all, check your settings, evidently Windows defaults to the safest setting not the best.