Graphics pixelate on new pc.

Old Timer

I got a new desktop pc and moved my ET game to the new system. When I launch the game the screen pixelates. The new pc is a Dell XPS 8940 with an AMD Radeon graphics card. The monitor is a Samsung. Any suggestions?

• Surprise 1

you don't need the full game from your  pc if your just moving  files sometimes old setting can mess with new  pc setting  all you really need from your old pc is 

etkey  i'm not sure which file it is that saves your  XP   maybe someone as will be kind and tell you what as you need but  i always just moved my ETkey and worked out the other stuff with higher level admins who can set levels on  sil and other stuff 

• Confused 1

If you moved the game to another computer. Apsolutely nothing should happen. You don't have to install it, because it doesn't add files to your system. And you can even fire it up from a flash drive.

The only explanation could be this. You bought a new computer and probably a bigger new monitor for it. And now you see there some pixelation, because you have the resolution set to the same as the old monitor. Bigger monitor does not mean that the resolution will be higher. They can be the same. And graphics card should not matter. Unless it does not support that resolution.

I don't know who else is flipping etkey and cfg. As if there was no civilization. You flip through the entire game and have no problems. Ideally, you should keep a backup of the entire game on disc DVD or flash drive.

Try this:

r_mode -1

r_customwidth 1920

r_customheight 1080

vid_restart

• Like 4

look in the cfg of the mod u want to play and locate this line

seta r_lastValidRenderer "NAME>OF>GRAPHICS>CARD/PCIe/SSE2"

check the graphics card displayed is the new radeon one and it isnt for example trying to load old nvidea settings on the radeon card

i also would recommend a fresh install

• 100 2

i would just save my etkey .  and reinstall et. 

you could post your cfg. with new pc specs.

could also be settings in your gpu .. 

more then likely its  your old system settings trying to load ..

remember if u play silent .  it saves your key in diff location then other mods.

etkey saves your xp.an level.

if  u dont want to reinstall et.... u have to go into your cfg and modify your video settings to work with new pc.

/r_ is video settings .

as mike said /r_lastvalidrenderer must match current  graphics card id guess yours is still set too your old systems card .

an as filipe said 

/r_mode-1 you cant go above 1280by1024 with out this. ill bet yours reverted to /r_mode 4 you must do/ vid_restart after you change this. dont get width and height mixed up or youll get a gamecode error.

i would try these before i did a fresh install.k

• Like 1
  • 100 2

10 hours ago, Gladiator said:

r_primitives 2

AMD card need r_primitives 2 set in cfg. You can set this in console too and do after a /vid_restart

as i agree with uthis does need to be set.  this wont make et pix elate. just lag and lower fps.

• 100 1

22 hours ago, Gladiator said:

r_primitives 2

AMD card need r_primitives 2 set in cfg. You can set this in console too and do after a /vid_restart

This. I had a lot of different issues with ET about a year ago when I had an AMD graphics card. Use r_primitives 2

Is it just ET that you have the problem with? If not its nothing to do with your ET install, if it IS just ET then remove your install and try a clean install with the default config just to check if the problem persists. If the problem is gone its a config issue and fixable, if its not gone then again its not ET or anything to do with the ET install.

If its not just ET download and run Furmark and stress test the graphics card, if your system crashes or you find you have pixels still then there is a chance its the card itself.

Which monitor do you have, whast the native resolution and how are you connected to it? if its HDMI then use display port instead as from experience HDMi tends to be hit and miss depending on the cable quality, plus HDMi cannot always run adaptive sync.

Any way you could send a screen shot or photo of the problem?, might help. 

• Like 1

i was thinking check your graphics card driver? or maybe a graphics  card setting. if i uninstall my drivers my pc will barley work .lol its at lowest resolution . do u have on board graphics and a graphics card maybe? which one  is it the 5300 the 5600 or the 5700

Edited by captnconcrete
  • 100 1

Maybe try a teamviewer session with one of the experienced members here so they can view your computer settings
they can check your graphics card is the primary card and drivers up to date and that you do a completely fresh install and you have correct resolutions set it is most likely to be one of these things

• Like 2