Windows 10 reg key - using on different PC?

Ford (Cz)

Hi guys, just a quick question. Some time ago I bought one of those mini laptops and it was with Win 10 Pro installed (originally it was on Vista i think so pretty old machine). With this it was incredibly slow. Later on hdd went "kaput" KO. I changed HDD and installed Zorin Linux and it goes pretty ok (not expecting any miracle as it is old and not powerful machine). But I am wondering if I'll be able to use reg key for that Win10 which was on old HDD for new different PC? Is there way how to "unregister" Windows without having them installed on original HDD and then use it on new PC? 

• Leader

If that Win10 Pro was purchased and installed, then you should be able to 'move' it.

If it was an update from Win 7, there might be problems.

Such things have gotten a bit 'murky' since win10 came along and was offered as free updates to previous OS versions.

Well, Googling around, I found 

Can I reuse a Windows 10 product key?

As long as the license is no longer in use on the old computer, you can transfer the license to the new one. There is no actual deactivation process, but what you can do is simply format the machine or uninstall the key.

If the Win10 is on an old HDD and is not running on a computer, then you should be able to use that registration key, I do think. 😄 Microsoft makes transferring OSs from one computer to another much easier these days.  It could be done "in the old days", but it could be a real PITA. WRONG version of the story.  See my post 21 hours after this one.  I had to call MS in the old days to do that and talk to a RL Human to do it!

Here is a topic on WindowCentral : How to transfer a Windows 10 license to a new PC or hard drive

(which includes ways to deactivate the old key on the old computer.  That should not be necessary if that HDD is not being used.  )

Edited by RedBaird
ERROR: Memory Fault!
  • 100 1

I'm going with no.

99.9% of windows versions that come preinstalled with a computer are OEM licenses (Unless you bought it somewhere shady, then it might even be a volume license).  OEM licenses are bound to the hardware of the computer it was installed on. Even changing a graphics card can cause windows to invalidate your license, and ask for a new one.

If by any chance you bought a retail version of win10 ( these usually cost upwards of 150€), you can re-use it no problem.

ps. I bought a 5€ win10 pro key on amazon 3 years ago, and never had any problems with it. Just know that these kind of offers are  usually volume licenses, and are not meant to be sold separately, same goes for OEM.

• Leader
1 hour ago, Broham said:

OEM.

Yes, and OEM version of windows cannot be transferred between machines.  He did  say that he thought the computer originally had Vista, so it was either upgraded from 7 to 10 during the early days of Win10 or else a disc was purchased.

But who can know these days, maybe an OEM  version would be allowed to be transferred.  He might have to call MS, like in the Old Days. 😄 

1 hour ago, Broham said:

5€ win10 pro key on amazon

G A S P ! 😮 

Open an elevated cmd prompt (run as admin) then type

slmgr /dli

it will tell you if your windows is OEM retail or Volume license

Retail can be transferred the other 2 cannot.

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP
7 hours ago, Ford (Cz) said:

Hi guys, just a quick question. Some time ago I bought one of those mini laptops and it was with Win 10 Pro installed (originally it was on Vista i think so pretty old machine). With this it was incredibly slow. Later on hdd went "kaput" KO. I changed HDD and installed Zorin Linux and it goes pretty ok (not expecting any miracle as it is old and not powerful machine). But I am wondering if I'll be able to use reg key for that Win10 which was on old HDD for new different PC? Is there way how to "unregister" Windows without having them installed on original HDD and then use it on new PC? 

I had the exact same thing. Give Manjaro Linux a try. I put that on my little laptop (after trying Mint, Peppermint, et al with no love) and it's smooth and fast!

• Leader
22 hours ago, RedBaird said:

Microsoft makes transferring OSs from one computer to another much easier these days.

NO, I had installed a new HD, transferred the files and installation, and then had to call MS when the OS complained that it was not  'registered.'  I had not done a transfer between two computers.

• Leader
16 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

slmgr /dli

it will tell you if your windows is OEM retail or Volume license

My system returned this popup, whether I ran it  "as admin" or not.  Mine is an update from a Win7 retail version.  I had downloaded it when it was free and updated the win7 that I had bought.  I wonder if it makes a difference whether your original OS was an OEM or a retail version. :?:  I had the impression from elsewhere that it did not, but ???

631656115_OSVerviaDOSsmgl4-dliDONE210204.jpg.2d2c2bce1e2622c6056e7d02203858f3.jpg

• Leader
1 hour ago, Snuffs99 said:

I'd also assume it would give a like for like as it should be?? hence you had a retail Win7 so now have a retail Win 10?

I keep reading that the license on the original OS is transferred to the free Win10 update.  OEM stays OEM and is not transferrable, while a retail/purchased license  on the original OS is applied to the Win10 update and is transferable to a new machine.  

It is a good idea to link your win10 reg-key to your Microsoft Account.  That makes any installation on a new machine "easy-peasy" after you have signed onto your MS account on the new machine. 😄 

There might be some trick out there or some change in the future, but you all know about Internet Rumors! 😄 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

16 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

I keep reading that the license on the original OS is transferred to the free Win10 update.  OEM stays OEM and is not transferrable, while a retail/purchased license  on the original OS is applied to the Win10 update and is transferable to a new machine.  

Yes that is correct, you had a retail win 7 so got a retail Win10 license.

OEM installs are tied to the Harddrive or BIOS via Slic and VLK licenses are usually used within companies/schools/uni etc and tend to renew system licenses every 180 days via a KMS server.

And ye if you have a legit retail copy then its always advisable to link your key and account for future transfers.

• Like 1