Ideas for building a new gaming cpu for $600USD

Humpty

Hello all you cool Cats and Kittens! I need your help, since the last time I put a CPU together was around 2004. I have no idea what is good, or acceptable (which is normal for me!!). Luckily, I have a large friend base of nerds on here, that would love to help me!! I only need the tower, I have keyboard mouse and monitor.

Thank you in advance!

-Humpty-Hump

P.S. This is why I haven't been on Jay mod server, I only have my old work laptop and cant access program files.

Water cooled CPU Case would be good

Check compatibility of everything!

Socket FM4 will run newest CPUs

Sold state Hard Drive highly recommended for Operating System(SATA)

Seagate FireCuda SSD SATA 520 GB Hrddrive requires PCIe Gen4 ×4, NVMe 1.3 Interface on motherboard

PCI Express Video card: Nvidia GTX 1060 is good for ET,

I have 700 Watt Power Supply

125 Watt CPU is the best, That will need a Server or Workstation Motherboard

RAM must be on motherboard's compatibility list

4 hours ago, Buckwild said:

Socket FM4 will run newest CPUs

?? or AM4

@Humpty

Price range will help a lot.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 1

• Leader

I think that Maximum PC magazine recently had an article about a $600 or so Gaming rig to build...

... oops, even though I do have the July 2020 copy lying around here somewhere, I misremembered the dollar-amount.  

free download to PDF = https://freemagazines.top/maximum-pc-july-2020/ = $535 Budget Build

/moved to Hardware forum later

Edited by RedBaird
moved

Check out this video on YouTube. I started following him when I was looking into building a PC and he gives good advice. In this video he does about a $500 pc so you have some wiggle room to get some better pieces, but this should be a good starting point for you.

Recommendations

• Get an AMD Ryzen CPU that comes with the air cooler. You may not have the best temps, but this will eliminate the need for buying an aftermarket cooler.
  • For RAM I would suggest at least16 GB of DDR4 3200 kit similar to what he has in the video. The 3200 MHz seems to be a sweet spot for the AMD Ryzen CPU's. If you wanted to save even more money you could get only 8gb of RAM, but 16 GB gives you some head room.
  • To help save money try to pick out a PC case that comes with fans already. That will help keep your costs down
  • I would at least try and get a SSD for the Windows OS. This will increase boot times significantly compared to a standard HDD. With Windows and your favorite game installed on the SSD you could buy a larger size HDD to store everything else.

If you have any specific questions let me know and I can try to help more. You can also go to https://pcpartpicker.com/   to put together some of the parts and keep track of what it will cost. This will allow you to trade out different parts to see what you can squeeze out of that $600 budget.

• Like 2

Bad time to be buying hardware atm - if you can wait a couple of months till the new ryzen cpu's arrive and see what the pricing is. If the new cpu's are to expensive then the current range of cpu's will be cheaper, might get youself a bargain

The ryzen 7 3700x is a good price atm

Same with gpu's just the wrong time to be buying imo

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CaRaNo said:

Bad time to be buying hardware atm - if you can wait a couple of months till the new ryzen cpu's arrive and see what the pricing is. If the new cpu's are to expensive then the current range of cpu's will be cheaper, might get youself a bargain

The ryzen 7 3700x is a good price atm

Same with gpu's just the wrong time to be buying imo

The new Ryzen XT CPU's (3600xt 3700xt etc) are already out and tbh now is prob the right time to buy as everything is lower in price as places get rid of older stock in prep for new. 

• Like 1

I know the xt's are out and not worth the upgrade over price  - I mean the ryzen 4000 series and yes prices are cheaper atm but will drop more and maybe the 4000 might be worth waiting for, who knows??

Ok maybe not for a $600 comp mybad 🙄

Edited by CaRaNo
spelling
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, CaRaNo said:

I know the xt's are out and not worth the upgrade over price  - I mean the ryzen 4000 series and yes prices are cheaper atm but will drop more and maybe the 4000 might be worth waiting for, who knows??

PC competent prices always drop, but if you wait, you'll never build one lol

But agree, on the AMD Ryzen 4000 CPUs. I was going to buy a laptop and did some research - they out perform Intel 10g chips and their vid cards are usually cheaper too. Had a bad experience with a AMD years ago, but open to giving them another try.

Edited by Gameplan
  • Like 1
  • 100 1

I've been building PCs for years, and my approach is usually buy parts about a year old. You won't pay early adopter prices and they will generally be future proof for 3-5 years - meaning the tech and software won't outgrow them.

13 hours ago, CaRaNo said:

I meant it would be fine and the right time to build using the 3000 range or even 2700 if you can get one cheap enough as it will out perform the 3600 even though its older and probably even the 4600 when it comes out.

1 hour ago, captnconcrete said:

older parts are the higher price now i been looking for ddr2 1066 ram they want 1k for a 2 gig stick .lol

Older parts means like AMD 2000-3000 range of CPU's or even DDR4 2400..........DDR2 is ancient mate and will cost a bomb as no one wants it and supply will be almost none existent, AKA supply and demand. :D