[FIXED - READ FIRST POST] TXT ERROR/CRASH

4estw1zzard
Go to solution Solved by rambozo37,

• Leader
2 minutes ago, rambozo37 said:

Turning sound down

Oh, right.  You can't really "turn it off", you can only slide the volume 'down'.

Just for the record, on silent mod, upon starting ET and joining a server for the first time, it crashes to the main menu. NQ, it doesnt seem to crash (tried on nq1) and on jaymod, it crashes to the desktop. 

I have had this on my main ET installation for about 5 months now. On my other installations, I don't seem to have the issue. /vid_restart seems to be the only fix so far, so I just bound it to a key so i dont have to type it out each time.

/bind [ vid_restart

• Like 1

• Leader

I swapped my etmain folder from an installation to another. The only thing I took from my original etmain folder was my profile and etkey. Doesn't crash anymore. And my second installation started to crash. So its something in the etmain folder. 

I re-placed the original etmain folder and then:

I started to take away all cfg's = didn't work

Replaced all application extension = didn't work

Took away all pk3's (not maps) = didn't work

Took away all maps that was not in my second installation (removed a total of 81 maps) = worked!

So its either there's to much files or its one particular map.pk3 IDK yet. Will do some more testing and edit this post. But I doubt it is a map in particular.

I just don't get it, what does maps has to do with game crashing when pressing chat or ESC buttons....

Edited by rambozo37
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I had the same problem a few days ago after playing NQ when  was gameday, the next day it happened on the sailent and jaymod server. it helped that I deleted the game and extracted the game from my archive. so it's worth having a few copies of the game in case of similar errors.

1 hour ago, rambozo37 said:

I just don't get it, what does maps has to do with game crashing when pressing chat or ESC buttons....

I suspect that it may be a file from a given mod (cfg)  which does not work on others.

• Leader
14 minutes ago, PikeKiller said:

I suspect that it may be a file from a given mod (cfg)  which does not work on others.

I took out all the cfg's and it didn't work. I re-placed them all then started to remove maps and then it worked. But have to say me to its after gameday since I never had this problem before. I just logged on NQ then got back to B2 no crash.

Edited by rambozo37
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Leader
  • Solution

ok after multiple tests I found this file to be the one making my game crash

In etmain folder > fa_baserace_v1.pk3

I removed 81 maps earlier and then my game was not crashing anymore. I slowly re-add the maps until I get a crash and narrow it down to this map. So now I replaced all 80 maps except this one and my game is ok. Every time I put it back it crashes. Just to make sure I removed all 80 maps again and just put that one and get a crash.

If I am not wrong I got that maps from NQ

Edited by rambozo37
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • 100 1

@rambozo37 I LOVE YOU! It worked! Removing fa_baserace_v1.pk3 worked! ;) 

Edited by RedBaird
un-fubbed my fubar-color edit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Surprise 1
  • 100 1

51 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

Anybody who has been having this or similar problems can remove their copy of the " fabase_v2.pk3 " map from etmain and see what happens.

You mean fa_baserace_v1.pk3 yes? That is the one that rambozo recommended we remove.

Edited by RedBaird
un-fubbed my fubar-color edit, kept the quote cross-out
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• Leader
54 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

Anybody who has been having this or similar problems can remove their copy of the " fabase_v1.pk3 " map from etmain and see what happens.

@rambozo37 "If I am not wrong I got that maps from NQ".  Do you think that you got that map when visiting NQ#1 for the last GameDay on January 18th?  

The first post in this topic was 7 January...

OKAY, as Cheep pointed out, I was talking about the v2-version, while Rambozo was talking about the older v1-version!  I don not have the v1-version and thus had no problems...

Everybody can remove their v1-versions, as that will not be played on FA anymore.

I remember playing baserace on NQ at gameday. I did not have any problems before gameday so I am 100% sure I got it there.

Edited by RedBaird
Crossed out my WRONG WRONG words in the quote.
  • Like 1
  • 100 1