Need help buying a Pad or Book for wife

Ol Smoke

She wants something she can pack around that is small but is easy to use.  We tried the Google book and it sucked.

I don't know anything about Win8 or these pads everyone has.  I haven't been in the PC world for about 8 years.

She wants to use it for GPS, looking up sale items and comparing prices in the stores and she wants to SKype.

I know you guys can help.  Remember she is 75 years old so it has to be easy to use.  She doesn't act 75 she is more like 55.

So think along those lines.

If I am not mistaken, these new books and pads have to be hooked to the internet to work.  Right?

We tried a Kindle but it didn't really do what she wanted.  I think it was just a book reader.  Havent tried anything else.

I know that the Ipad is pretty clean and simple to use, will allow skype and other internet activities, but I don't know about the GPS. I also know that apple tends to overprice their products, so there might be a better/cheaper product.

My 1'st generation Kindle Fire finally stopped working after 2+ years :/

It was a good little tablet, and a godsend if you have kids and need something to make them sit still for awhile.

You may have had the Amazon E-reader. The Amazon Fire comes in several versions with different capabilities including 3G internet. A 1 year warranty covers all of them from the date of purchase, for anything from accidental drops and beyond.

They even offered me a nice discount on a new one despite my warranty expiring a year and a half ago on my tablet.

They run on the android platform common in a lot of smartphones these days, so no Windows there. And the pricing is a lot more competitive than apple products.

• Like 1

I hate Apple, and the iPad line of products, but JoeD's suggestion is quite a good one. Another few to look into IMHO would be the Nexus 7, Kindle Fire, and the Surface 2- though it is a bit large, and doesn't offer Mobile Broadband (3G/4G).

Android tablets aren't that hard to use either, and many of them are way better than the iPad.

My suggestions:

dell venue 11 pro (runs windows 8, it should be easy to get used to it)

surface (1st or 2nd gen are fine IMO, also runs windows 8)

ipad mini

Google Nexus (7 or 10, depending how big you want the tablet to be)

Edited by Malibuz0r

Ipad Mini deserves 5stars.

My 6 year old cousin was occupied instead of asking (are we there yet) every 5 minutes.

On our 6 hour trip to myrtle beach.

#lifesaver ipad. Lol

• Administrators

Seems like most of you don't bother reading. Smoke's wife wants to use it as GPS as well. I have Navigon app installed on all my devices and I find that iPad mini has the best size for that task. Smoke best thing to do is go to BestBuy or one of the chains that has a big selection and have her try out few devices. Navigon is by far the best and easiest GPS app I used so far. It runs on Windows Phone, iOS and Android. Didn't test for Blackberry but I assume they have a version for them as well.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Thanks guys.  We have a best buy near us, so will go there.

In your opinion JD  is ipad easier and better than win8 ?

It has more apps thats about it. They are both easy to use. Like I said its best to try out before you spend the money. I own both and don't really have a preference. I have mostly the same apps on my ipad as I do on my surface.

I own a ipad, my mom has a google nexus 7 and dad has a Galaxy Note 10.1. All of them have excellent performance. However as Joe said, iPad mini screen size is good and you would get a similar experience from nexus 7. Choose between those two. Let her try it and see which interface she likes, iOS or Android. 

Seems like most of you don't bother reading. Smoke's wife wants to use it as GPS as well. I have Navigon app installed on all my devices and I find that iPad mini has the best size for that task. Smoke best thing to do is go to BestBuy or one of the chains that has a big selection and have her try out few devices. Navigon is by far the best and easiest GPS app I used so far. It runs on Windows Phone, iOS and Android. Didn't test for Blackberry but I assume they have a version for them as well.

i would do what joe says but if i had to pick i would go with the blackberry over the ipad  reason is i not a fan of apple myself i had phones from apple only last 2 years before you haft to  buy a new batter 

i know blackberry works with skype msn and yahoo messenger i not sure about the gps part i never try it out my blackberry is broke or i would