Other Servers & Teamspeak Down

KILLERGUN

Thanks for the information and all the hard work. I can't spare any cash at the moment unfortunately :(. Though, perhaps I can help by offering the following:

Out of curiosity, does F|A have any type of monitoring infrastructure, such as Nagios? If so, why wasn't there an early warning? If not, will there be to allow for future early interventions?

In addition - is it not possible to temporarily reassign the IP addresses to different servers? For instance reassigning Silent #1's IP to another server and setting up a temporary ET server that doesn't actually allow people to play but merely states that the server is currently down for maintenance and offers to redirect them to HC (server is full message is customizable). It might be a bit inconvenient but it might prevent those servers from losing a ton of players.

I am not sure if we are specifically using nagios. However, I do know that DD has monitoring on the server. I have passed on the message to DD about rerouting the IP to one of the other servers. 

That actually depends on the company - but in my experience it's been the same (I rent 2 dedi's) it's usually free to replace disks - and they generally rebuild the array too (whenever there's raid involved).

It seems they're with Constant (I think this might be part of Choopa) - so perhaps they're actually colocating? 

We have servers in US and Euro locations. They are dedicated so that we can run multiple games and servers

Yeah most companies you rent from would never be caught asking customers for repair costs, would be ridiculous lol but yeah that's the danger of colocation

Well at the moment we are not sure of the exact costs.. we are also considering shifting from the current host if needed

In the other hand one could host many gameservers on 1 machine for fixed cost, which seems to be the case atm...

true

In fairness - this isn't a bad thing (the single-point of failure on the other hand is). I was surprised that F|A doesn't have a hot-swap replacement standing by or a simple ET-shim that acts as a server is full redirect ("Server is under maintenance, connect to hc.clan-fa.com?") and that no monitoring system (if any) actually reported an I/O problem; I'd love to know more about the issue and the circumstances involved. Though - to be fair, there was a *lot* of warning involved regarding the server, there were issues with Lag on Silent 1 and on Jay 2; we were all just looking in all the wrong places (I do swear that route was mucking things up too!).

Mind you, I'm complimenting F|A - I wouldn't even have expected any of that from other clans because most aren't nearly as well organised and thought out as F|A.

So perhaps - in the end this is a learning point, always have disaster prevention (monitoring and the likes; hint: Nagios - it's a b*tch to setup but it's enterprise proven) & control plans (temp server redirects, etc) standing by when things go wrong.

Either way, kudo's for handling this matter - and do keep us all in the loop if possible.

We will surely take the suggestions and try and implement them at the earliest.

Mates, that's are not good news... But i can offer you something.

FA Leader could get 2 Server from ours if you want. Only change server

hostname and put your settings and here we go.

This Servers are setted to Jaymod and NoQuarter. The Hoster could fix

it temporary for you, i am pretty sure. Also we have only 32 Slots on

both Servers but this changeable. Also TeamSpeak you could have from

us. It's limited to 5 Slots but i could change it to 20+ Slots if you want. It

would take only 1 min to do this.

Of course, all without a quid pro quo!!!

That's the offer that we could make you. We should help them all together!

So, if you want to do it, let me know it and we could fix it asap!

Regards,

SadNesS

again, I have passed the message to DD..need to wait and watch :)

• Like 2

Thanks for all the donations guys.. We hope that the costs wont be much.. Whatever funds are leftover from the repair will be added to the primary donation tracker and credited towards each person who donated. Once again we sincerely appreciate everyone's support and are trying our best to get the servers back online.

• Like 4

I am not sure if we are specifically using nagios. However, I do know that DD has monitoring on the server. I have passed on the message to DD about rerouting the IP to one of the other servers. 

We have servers in US and Euro locations. They are dedicated so that we can run multiple games and servers

Well at the moment we are not sure of the exact costs.. we are also considering shifting from the current host if needed

true

We will surely take the suggestions and try and implement them at the earliest.

again, I have passed the message to DD..need to wait and watch :)

Thanks for your response.

What is actually the current status? Is the dedicated node up, down? Are backups offsite and intact? 

I do have to second someone else his/her reply regarding upping slots - It'd be *awesome* if HC can have a few more slots - it was hell getting in yesterday evening must've /reconnect for 15 minutes or so (twice!).

Good luck.

• Like 1

I do have to second someone else his/her reply regarding upping slots - It'd be *awesome* if HC can have a few more slots - it was hell getting in yesterday evening must've /reconnect for 15 minutes or so (twice!).

HC would be horrible with too many slots though, the majority of regulars like to focus on the objective and too many players would make it impossible for the attacking team/turn into a frag fest. 

• Like 3

Just a note and it may not be of any consequence, but I checked several other servers yesterday and many I could not play due to lag (CI) issues.  I then found one with no CI or lag issues.  It was an H4 server in the US.  While there several people mentioned not being able to go to their regular servers because they are down.  It sounds like this is not just an FA issue.  Then again these other down servers may be with the same host as we have. Either way this seems to be a wide spread issue.  Also the reason I mentioned the server that I found with no lag is in case we need to study why theirs if different.  At first I thought it may be the Evolve program giving me issues or it was my connection on this end, but when I found this server with no issues I got to thinking maybe this is something bigger.  It did not appear as if they were running the B3 bot as many others are and also the B3 servers is where I was getting lag issues.

• Like 1

hey guys just thought id mention if your donating to help with getting the servers back up its ok to post here 

but would be a good idea to post it here as well  http://fearless-assassins.com/topic/66211-2015-donations-post-in-this-topic-once-you-donate/page-12

this way it will be easier for dare to track just make a note when you post that its for server fix thanks to all for your help :)

• Like 3

Wow I'm sorry and I hope that this is resolved in a manner that makes everyone happy.  I for one know that if I lose my xp I'll be fine, only glad that the servers are back up.  I had just posted a thread asking what was going on and explaining that I couldn't get on Silent and have not been able to.  This more than obviously explains things.  I'm glad you are aware of the problem and are working to fix it in a steadfast manner.  I know I'll still be on the servers that are up being that they are the other ones I generally play on, and that I am definitely looking forward to being able to connect to Silent once again.

• Like 1

Doesn't the provider propose Disaster Recovery warranties ? No redundancy ? :blink:

You're referring to SLAs (Service Level Agreements) - the server running Silent (and presumably the others as well) is hosted by Constant/Choopa (they seem to be the same company - the IP address for Silent is registered to Choopa - though reverse DNS says Constant) in which case there is an SLA: https://www.constant.com/overview/sla/ 

Should any component of your Constant.com dedicated servers fail, we will replace the parts in our highest priority support queue. Our facilities store backup inventory of our dedicated servers and with 24/7/365 staffing of all our locations, we stand by to make sure you do not experience downtime longer than 90 minutes.

Things don't end here though - there can be many reasons as to why it's not back up yet - and mind you, we haven't actually received more information than disk failure.

Assuming there was no RAID in place and no full disk image is available, the server would need to be rebuild from scratch (backups however should help a lot). If there is raid involved - then the array needs to be rebuild (if possible - this depends on the configuration) and that can take a long time. Then again, it might be possible that the SLA doesn't cover F|A's server (this would be odd).

Based on the responses I'm guessing we're not talking about a colocated server. Which is why this all strikes me as odd and I'm guessing there is information we don't have (the higher-ups might).

I suggest we all stand by and see what happens in the next couple of days.