COD4 keeps telling me my hardware has changed....

Ol Smoke

Everytime I start COD4, a warning screen comes up and says my hardware has changed and do I want to let it configure my game.

This started after I put in the new video card.  I have let it do this 3 times and I have made no other changes.  Anyone know why

it keeps doing this?

Two days ago, when I first started the game that day, it asked me this, so I said yes.  Then I went in and configured the graphics and

sound again and restarted the game.  It did not show the warning screen.  But two or three hours later, I restarted the game, and there

the warning screen was again.  I said no.  Now, every time I start the game it asks me this, over and over.

Does anyone know how to make it stop doing this?

A user in the Steam Forums had the same error, and theirs was tracked down to write protected files.  I'm getting this same error on my PC (windows 7 64 bit) -so will check this out when I get home tonight and let everyone know.

Write protected files?

More than likely.

Months ago when I'd jump on, nothing ever came up.

After it was reinstalled on my desktop, it does this every time now. Also likes to tell me there's an error with punkbuster and auto disables it. Pain in the ass to have to keep enabling, but whatevs.

the message can have multiple reasons:

1. the iwmp3.exe does not shut down in the way it should - system sees a crash - and gives you the message

2. after changing hardware - wants to help you - gives you the message

3. changing stuff in bios - gives you the message

4. as said above, write protected configs will make that message appear everytime - check them!

5. install new drivers - message for you

6. un-/plug an headset - message

7. un-/plug any other input like mouse or keyboard - message

8. deleting ur USB-"history" - here we go

9. whatever you change on your system, cod will remind you :-D

the best way is: check them configfiles and dont even look at anything thats plugged into your computer!

now i got it as well :-(

one last thing to think of:

the stereomix! whenever my headset is plugged in, i do not get the message.

when i want to play without them, i turn stereomix on and get the message!