Recent book you've read

BunnyBabe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just read this book from a known author to =F|A=. Phoenix for those who didn't know. Great book and a great read. It's the first in a trilogy series. Very well written and had a lot of religious undertones, which is strange for the setting of the book. Post apocolyptic with the living dead roaming all over. Somehow out of all of this chaos, love still blooms. Looking forward to the next of the series.

post-10446-0-99863600-1399385116_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Clan Friend

Koushun Takami - Battle Royale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale

Battle_Royale_2009_ediiton.jpg

Much better than the movie (imho)

Well, all movies taken from novels are worse 99% of the times because movies are too short, and you don't even get to know all characters well, plus they usually change things (like in this case) even when it wasn't necessary (imho)

Ofc pure action scenes are often better in movies, and it's always nice to see a book you've read instead of having to imagine it (in this case I wouldn't say nice since it's a bit gory :D, not extremely though), but I still have to see a movie I liked more than the novel from which it was taken

here is the movie trailer

• Like 1

I'm always reading about 5-7 books at a time. My wife would say that my 3 vices are coffee, coffee, and books. In my life, I've gotten rid of about 10-20 books total. I don't know how many I have, but it takes a u-haul van packed to the roof to move it all. The rest are arranged on my bookshelves in the following categories: philosophy, religion, civil rights, science fiction, history, military history, geopolitics, linguistics, language learning (Chinese, German, Serbian, Arabic, Korean — I only really speak Chinese), fantasy, leadership, management, nutrition, fitness, web development, software engineering, project management, machine learning, mathematics, programming languages, systems architecture, computer architecture, and odds and ends.

It's getting a bit easier to manage the influx with e-books, but I still like to buy hardcopies of the books I really enjoyed. I tend to mark them up with notes in the margins and I started keeping a notebook for some of the more intellectual and practical books.

I am a huge freaking nerd. 

Currently reading:

"Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why" by Bart D. Ehrman

"How to Read a Book" by Mortimer J. Adler (<--- It sounds silly, but one of the core lessons is that we read books differently depending on purpose. He talks about 4 levels of reading that people use to read a book.)

"The Wolf in CIOs Clothing: A Machiavellian Strategy for Successful IT Leadership" by Tina Nunno

"The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves" by Stephen Grosz

"What Is Called Thinking?" by Martin Heidegger (<--- This one is kicking my ass. Only other book that's made my mind work so hard was "The Modularity of Mind" by Jerry A. Fodor)

"The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization" by Peter M. Senge

"Mastery" by Robert Greene

"Machine Learning for Hackers" by Drew Conway and John Myles White

Re-reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig

Here are recent books (finished in the past couple of months) I would recommend:

"The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking" by Oliver Burkeman

"Kindly Inquisitors: The New Attacks on Free Thought" by Jonathan Rauch

"Flow" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

"You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself" by David McRaney

"Taiwan: Nation-State or Province?" by John F Copper

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...