Trickjump Maps

Achilles90

3 hours ago, Achilles90 said:

I never understood how can you make such big jump at the beginning :o

• Like 1

It's really a quirk of the game and a function of running in the circle path.

As inexplicable as it is, it's really just a matter of making a 90 degree turn using WA or WD NOT just W

The trick is to press jump at the most optimal moment, when you generated the most speed from the turn and you're at the last possible pixel of your ledge to jump off of

There is more speed and distance possible, generated when you are in the air, they call this "air strafe"

For the most part though, just leaping off the ground is usually the biggest part

This sort of explains why some players seems to shake their mouse side to side or snap from one side to the other as they jump through the map. 

There is a function of mouse movement involved in the generation of speed but I don't have any idea why

However it's consistently reproducible and demonstrable as a technique

I have been considering narrating a video on the subject but it's more work than just cutting a clip unfortunately

• Like 2
  • 100 1

Just making it clear, air strafing doesn't require WA or WD, you can do it with any combination. It works even if you just use one (eg. W or S). It's just harder to control but possible. I believe it's just basic physics why you accelerate while turning.

If you drive with a car and you turn your wheels, your speed actually accelerates. Total speed in this case.

To be honest, if there was =FA= Trickjump -server, I would spend there quite a lot of time assuming there's trickjump mod :P.

About jumping, you don't have to press jump button in right moment, you can pre-hold it actually (not too long though).

In most jumps the start is the hardest one, at least for me what I have noticed.

Side note, I have made one tj map (which isn't complete though). It's pretty bad but I have map anyway! It's bad because I'm not that good trickjumper myself.

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, Eireannanl said:

Just making it clear, air strafing doesn't require WA or WD, you can do it with any combination. It works even if you just use one (eg. W or S). It's just harder to control but possible.

100% correct. I was referring to air strafing more as an aside after describing the appropriate take off. 

Speed is generated off of predictable angles based on trajectory, speed, AND your button(s) of choice. In the instance of using just W and S you absolutely can do arguably everything with W/S (they call this "no beat") but it's much less natural. On a take off with WA or WD you start and 90 degrees from where you are trying to go and make that 90 degree hook right before you take off. If you were to make the exact same take off holding ONLY W you would have to turn about 180 degrees instead of only 90. Hence why most people don't do it.

36 minutes ago, Eireannanl said:

assuming there's trickjump mod :P.

What a coincidence, there is! 

If you were to run this mod and try a few WA/WD or just W/S take offs (people use A/D even) 

along with

/etj_drawcgaz 2

you can see how the mouse angles change based on which button(s) you are pressing. 

No beat is used more often as a gag because you tend to have to look perpendicular to your trajectory which feels incredibly wrong

BUT WORKS

41 minutes ago, Eireannanl said:

About jumping, you don't have to press jump button in right moment, you can pre-hold it actually (not too long though).

This game is pretty forgiving when it comes to the jump timing but there are plenty of deeper quirks on the subject that can be delved into

The jump delay in this game being one of them. For those who played RTCW you might remember that, like quake, there is no jump delay and you can build speed linking jumps together right off the flat ground

In this game that isn't possible, a height difference is required, but there are interesting aspects that can be manipulated. I have plans for a video discussing "corner cutting" in the future. </spoilers> 

41 minutes ago, Eireannanl said:

To be honest, if there was =FA= Trickjump -server, I would spend there quite a lot of time assuming there's trickjump mod :P.

:D Something certainly on my mind

"Sponsored by Achilles" maybe XP

48 minutes ago, Eireannanl said:

Side note, I have made one tj map (which isn't complete though). It's pretty bad but I have map anyway! It's bad because I'm not that good trickjumper myself.

Dear lord upload it!

I don't have any maps, you're light years ahead!

Beginner maps are something the TJ community lacks and something that has been heavily on my mind

I woke up this morning and started to render a new couple videos about just that: maps for everyone to start with but I seem to have reached the end of my laptop's life

A few crashes later and now I'm shopping for a new PC instead of uploading stuff for you guys :( 

Many thanks to you and @ElEl for the help

• 100 1

Well, I do know that there's ETJump but I meant if there was =FA= and IT had that given mod ;)

About the map, it's not really beginner, to be honest :P I'm pretty sure that I can't finish those tracks I've made :D. It's also named so absurdly (gamma.pk3).

Just tried that map, gammas, too hard for me. Originals... Couldn't pass without noclip x)

18 hours ago, Achilles90 said:

It's really a quirk of the game and a function of running in the circle path.

As inexplicable as it is, it's really just a matter of making a 90 degree turn using WA or WD NOT just W

The trick is to press jump at the most optimal moment, when you generated the most speed from the turn and you're at the last possible pixel of your ledge to jump off of

There is more speed and distance possible, generated when you are in the air, they call this "air strafe"

For the most part though, just leaping off the ground is usually the biggest part

This sort of explains why some players seems to shake their mouse side to side or snap from one side to the other as they jump through the map. 

There is a function of mouse movement involved in the generation of speed but I don't have any idea why

However it's consistently reproducible and demonstrable as a technique 

Yea, I was doing this, what you said, and I was I think mediocre in it. But somehow some ppl could jump so big as first jump, like they had rocket in their shoes. I specced them, and tried to do the same, but I never got close to that at all. 

There is a setting in tj mod, you see a visual thing, a big arrow in the middle and an additional line, and you can move that line with your mouse to the side of the arrow and a bit farther away from that to gain speed. But for long jumpings I couldn't keep it. At beginning its very easy, but then you just have to move it so much, your movements can be very inaccurate and you lose speed or don't gain as much as you need 

• 6 months later...

I'll spend some time writing up and reviewing this map but for the time being I'll just drop this here:

Awesome jump from the map "Sunrise"

I struggle with this jump quite a bit and the video is just a little overly bright but all the same

Aweomse jump, awesome map

• Like 1

@Sixxx

I had mentioned this to you the other day and thought I should post it and tag you:

One of the top 10 most beautiful maps in the game, easily

Also tragically impossible

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 11:36 PM, Eireannanl said:

Just giving my few cents here. Holding jump down while in air actually lowers your potential speed. You should always try to press jump as fast as possible to reach optimal speed. For this reason, many players use mouse buttons for jumping because mouse buttons have lower trigger time. If you're jumping some hard strafepads and you're a tiny bit away from making the jump, usually concentrating on pressing the actual jump button faster makes the difference you need to finish the trick. I myself am too oldschool to bind jump to mouse buttons, I prefer default binds for trickjumping.

Good topic apart from the HeX map fanboyism. Go fanboy sungi's maps too, that's where the true quality lies within 😃

• Like 1
  • 100 1

• 2 months later...

TJ RULES FOREVER ❤️

I created this video in 2011, old TJ maps. Stuns and j4mmy school.

I really like those new maps, im pretty sure i ll try to beat them!!

Great post amigo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=367vx9hOL0c

Edited by Fed'Tj
Add link
  • Like 2