The debate that is tearing the internet apart 😂

Sparrow

It's all to do with the pitch of the sound and volume. If you lower the pitch, your hear Laurel and if you raise the pitch your here Yanny, but it's all bullshit.

• Like 3

• Clan Friend

In this one I can hear both versions lol

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/video/2018/may/18/the-new-yannylaurel-do-you-hear-brainstorm-or-green-needle-video

And even funnier, after trying again the one in this thread I clearly hear Laurel wtf? I could hear Yanny the first time I listened and now I can't hear it again? Lol I even thought who the heck can hear Laurel are they deaf? And now I hear it and I can't unhear it... :D

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, SunLight said:

In this one I can hear both versions lol

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/video/2018/may/18/the-new-yannylaurel-do-you-hear-brainstorm-or-green-needle-video

And even funnier, after trying again the one in this thread I clearly hear Laurel wtf? I could hear Yanny the first time I listened and now I can't hear it again? Lol I even thought who the heck can hear Laurel are they deaf? And now I hear it and I can't unhear it... :D

What??? After watching this video I can only hear laurel, what kind of witchcraft is this? 😮

But in that video I hear tornado o0 but also the needle and brainstorm if I want.

@Sparrowdid you edit your original post? xD

Who is behind these mind games? :D

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 6:20 PM, Sparrow said:

Applied to ET it says, the most noober you are the word you hear is yanni :P I´ve tried with different pcs and cellhphones and always hear laurel

all i hear is headshot headshot headshot. wtf cell phone u use to play et on i want one!

Edited by captnconcrete
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, captnconcrete said:

all i hear is headshot headshot headshot. wtf cell phone u use to play et on i want one!

Only works with the server a little bit empty, when is full like now i lag 😕

1 hour ago, Vindstot said:

What??? After watching this video I can only hear laurel, what kind of witchcraft is this? 😮

But in that video I hear tornado o0 but also the needle and brainstorm if I want.

@Sparrowdid you edit your original post? xD

Who is behind these mind games? :D

no edit my friend

• Confused 1

• Leader
3 hours ago, Sparrow said:

In the clip from the WhiteHouse staff, I hear a "Yelly" sound from the smartphone!  It is a lot higher pitch that what I hear from other sources on my computer speakers and headphones.  I had only heard "laruel" before that one clip.   I should play around with my computer's sound-mixer and reduce the bass levels.

The original source is said to be here : https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/laurel where a student had recorded a poor copy from his speakers or somesuch.  When he realized that different people heard different words, he unleashed this "controversy" upon the world.  BTW, some sites show that the waveform of the recording differs from laurel and yanny when they are spoken by humans.

• Like 1

Bairdie whave you read what i´ve posted? 😋

"

According to the Mirror, Broadway actor and singer Jay Aubrey Jones, 64, recorded the word 'laurel' back in 2007. Meaning it's taken over a decade for our ears to have a listen.

Jay, who comes from New Jersey in he US, trained in pronunciation and produced the clip for Vocabulary.com.

He said he's been 'amused to no end' by the debate. We're glad you've enjoyed it Jay, it's annoyed us to no end.

He told Time: "I recorded my batch of words and I thought that was that.

"I thought, well, it couldn't be that huge. Then I heard the recording again online and I realised what a brouhaha this whole thing was."

A bro what?

Jay said 'laurel' as a 'wreath worn in victory'. But he did admit he can understand why some people heard something else. How can you admit that? It's not like you can just turn off hearing one to hear the other, is it?

He added: "More often than not, I hear laurel. I can hear a slight trace of yanny." For us it's one or the other, mate.

The actor recorded around 36,000 words over six months for the vocab website - clearly one was 'brouhaha'.

A few people uploaded videos showing that if you change the pitch or the bass, it can alter whether you hear 'Yanny' or 'Laurel'. Laurel is very low pitched, while Yanny is the opposite, which is why people are so divided over the recording, apparently"