Mozilla's new Firefox extension keeps Facebook locked in its own sandbox

sincity

In the midst of the Cambridge Analytica data scandal, Mozilla has released a Firefox extension that effectively sandboxes Facebook. It doesn't prevent third-party apps from collecting your data, but it does make it harder for the social network to use cookies to track your online activity. 

When you install Facebook Container, the extension will start by deleting the cookie that keeps you logged into Facebook. Next time you visit the site, it will appear in a blue-highlighted tab and you can log back in as normal.

Following a link from Facebook to a different site will cause it to open in a new tab outside the container, and clicking Share buttons on other sites will open them within the container. Bear in mind that these buttons pass information about the site you arrived from to Facebook.

Because you're only logged into Facebook within the container, sites and apps that require you to log in using your account won't work. Neither will embedded Facebook comments or Like buttons on other sites.

Pressing pause on advertising

Mozilla is one of several companies that have suspended advertising on Facebook following the news that data analysis company Cambridge Analytica had harvested data from 50 million people without permission.

We are encouraged that Mark Zuckerberg has promised to improve the privacy settings and make them more protective," Mozilla said in a statement on its company blog. "When Facebook takes stronger action in how it shares customer data, specifically strengthening its default privacy settings for third-party apps, we’ll consider returning."

k2MzHYVW_sM
  • Like 4

• Leader

Hmmm.  I had been using IE for FB, but I guess that I jad logged on once from this Chrome browser because I occasionally get notifications from FB here.  With the information above, that implies that FB stays 'logged on' via this browser too.  :o  Right, I don't have to enter the username and password here...hmmm.  I will have to open FB in Chrome and log it off.  I will have to find the Chrome cookies folder, too. :D

I once clicked on "How Long will you Live" clickbait via FB and was told that I would live until I was 105 years old!  I wondered how the hell they could predict that from the answers that I gave and then remembered that I had entered my birthdate upon FB registrations as the World War I Armistice Day.  My readers could not see the year, but FB had shared it with 3rd parties.  No wonder I have been seeing adverts for portable oxygenators.

• Like 1

• Leader

FB registration page: 

" Providing your birthday helps make sure you get the right Facebook experience for your age. If you want to change who sees this, go to the About section of your profile. For more details, please visit our Data Policy "

I wonder how they "shape" the FB Experience for all of us 100-year-olds?

It has been a long, long time since I checked my FB settings and I was :o at what I found, including this: 

Ads on apps and websites off of the Facebook Companies 
Can your Facebook ad preferences be used to show you ads on devices such as computers, mobile devices and connected TVs?

Computers, Mobiles and TVs :?: ACK!

There is a setting whereby you can be searched for via your email address or phone number.

• Like 1

Personally I dont use FB, only when it comes to talk with people with whom FB is the best place. I dont want anyone collect data from me (not that Im planning a coup d'etat or sth :D)

I also know that it is near impossible to avoid your data being collected if you spend time on the internet, but at least you can be sure that if you are not an importat person, no one will personally check your activity, only a program will look for ceratin things, and basically thats it, there is no capacity to do more (unless half the people who use internet monitor someone else).

And also, I dont know how much it matters, but I use a different webbrowser for stuff that I really dont want to be tracked by 3rd party (eg: how to make bomb, how to hide a corpse, weapon from blackmarket...)

But anyway, in this world all of us is followed on the internet (well, you have internet provider, and the operator of pages you visit can see you)

PS.: I hope FA isnt collecting data from me to show me ads :o

• Leader

I once used Google to search for a certain type and brand of RAM, which I later bought.  I am still getting adverts on FB for exactly the same product that I bought. :D