Defensive Dynos Dodgy?

Bean

Defensive Dynos: Dodgy Practice?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are defensive dynos a dodgy strategy?

• Yes, dodgy!
    • No, it's an effective strategy!

• Leader

In Special Delivery - a Hardcore favourite - sometimes defending Axis engies plant dynos in the control room, or the non-elevator hallway adjacent to it.

I have planted "defensive dyna" in attacker's approach lanes, but NEVER in those areas on Special Delivery or other maps with tight spaces. Those will kill teammates on non-FF servers by banging their bodies against the ceilings or walls. :o

Jeepers, tough crowd! Forums are for discussing topics of interest, no?

I would call this a "good discussion". :D

I give Bean credit for his classy approach in this topic.  He did not use any words like "noob", "dummkopff", or any other "put-down" names.  He started a rational discussion.

Kudos to him and to all who answered.   :thumbsup

(BTW, this topic led me to finally learning the proper spelling of "dummkopf"!)

If i would only be arsed to go thro my demos and show u how many times i have gained multi kills over well placed dynos with a perfect timing in perfect part of the maps, its advanced tactics, which are mostly used in ETpro mod (wars), if u have some good experience with it, u can make a good strategy with it and with some practise it works wonders.

• Like 1

People tend to overuse the defensive dynamite and spam them so much that they neglect to patrol the area or pay attention to the map (i.e. when one of the hallways was breached and you should pack your gun and take some hats). But a strategic dynamite is just that, strategic.

• Like 1

It´s the same as with arty. Sometimes you defend obj alone and spam the .... out the obj with whatever you can and then suddenly teammates discover (some 10 min too late), that there´s also the obj and rush into the inferno, not realising one can shoot enemies from afar also... If the obj area is cleared by area of effect fire, no need to run into it. Keep your distance and take ´em out from distance

I think its an effective deterrent when placed in a strategic position that offers a high probability of damaging the opponent without having considerable or substantial effects on friendlies. In order to find these sweet spots, it requires knowledge of the map, solid predictive skills of the opponents travel patterns as well as knowing the spawn time of the enemy, which requires practice to master.  I agree it is pretty annoying and plain idiotic when an Engineer places a dynamite where friendlies frequently go, and should bear in mind that doing so will most likely cause team damage. I mostly play on the Hardcore server as well and from experience i haven't had that many issues with misplaced dynamites that are used as an offensive/defensive tactic to start complaining about it. However, repeat offenders should be made aware of their actions. You could suggest where to place the dynamite instead of ranting at them because ultimately that is their style of play and theres nothing in the rules that forbids it. I personally have used this tactic before and about 50% of the time it does work. 

So, i vote yes it is an effective tactic when implemented correctly, just like any other tactic. 

P.S. You can't just say that its a dynamite, dont go near it. If its misplaced, its not so easy to avoid, especially for those interested in completing the objective but are prevented from doing so because a dynamite is blocking their path which is the only down side of this that i can see.

All in all, its not a bad method if used correctly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...