oven baked gpu

=Plat00n=

My computer been down for about 3 days i tried everything from cleaning all dust out of system and thermal paste cpu and gpu and reseating everything in system. I found out from the beep codes it was the graphics card  then someone told me you can heat up gpu with a heat gun and it will bring it back to life i was already looking at new cards and ready to order a new card so i will give it a go.

Here what i did cover all the capaciitors which where at the bottom of the board wrap them up with tin foil and banged it in the oven for 8 minutes at 180c and let it cool down for 10 minutes then added the thermal paste back to the gpu then put it back in computer and hey presto started up.

This will not work for everyone but if you think your graphics card dead and your ready to throw it in the bin its worth a try the heat gun a safer way if you have one.

• Like 1

What is with everyone and blowing up their video cards recently lol. I can name at least 5 members who had their video cards crap out :< (cursed I swear)

• Leader

Notice in the video that she used 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, which is pharmaceutical grade and not the very common 71-80% which is used for minor disinfection and such.

I used Pharma-grade alky to clean the heads on my tape-backup device.  It will leave less residue on your work.

I noticed that she did not use gloves, a static-grounding wrist-strap or a grounding mat.   :)

BTW, if she cleaned thermal paste off the cpu and that collar, should she have replaced it when she re-assembled the card?

Edited by RedBaird
  • Like 1

for my part, I mainly noticed no thermal paste reapplied on the gpu proc..  :clap:

edit:

BTW, if she cleaned thermal paste off the cpu and that collar, should she have replaced it when she re-assembled the card?

of course yes.. unless she planned to make soon a new video tuto on how to fix the proc with putting the latter in the freezer this time lol

Edited by Ann!b@l
  • Like 4

• Leader

for my part, I mainly noticed no thermal paste reapplied on the gpu proc

I have never taken one apart, but I would assume that the copper(?) 'collar' around the GPU is part of the cooling system.

Didn´t watch the video but how would heating up fix the card? It would "push electrons back to their position or solder broken wires or how it would work?"

I don´t use any mats\wires also when fiddling with my PC but I´ve noticed, that touching desks metal frame\central heating system gives me a spark. It means it works well grounding myself off static electricity before going after PC.

Also it should be noted that touching capacitors should be considered as real danger to ones life, applies more when replacing them. I´m not sure how much el. energy videocard board caps hold, but PSU caps certainly deal great harm, even when removed\desoldered for hours!

About the "collar" part, the GPU (Graphical Processing Unit vs CPU- Central Processing Unit) is mainly producing heat as byproduct and should be cooled down. I think the collar could be something like around the CPU, which is squeesed in the socket and might not be so important for cooling. One doesn´t apply paste on CPUs bracket?! Though the other thermal paste pads around GPU are very important as they transfer heat between elevated copper(by looks of it) plate on cooling part and VRAM(Video Random Access Memory)- it tends to heat up at least as much as GPU.

Anyways if the collar is there, it can be applied new thermal paste, but the trick is to not "apply it" in between the GPU and collar, where thermal paste could short circuit the socket.

Tested for revive some gpus, better results with heat blover. Still it will not fix it for good, it will go off 80% astimation of 1-3 months.

• Like 1

Notice in the video that she used 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, which is pharmaceutical grade and not the very common 71-80% which is used for minor disinfection and such.

I used Pharma-grade alky to clean the heads on my tape-backup device.  It will leave less residue on your work.

I noticed that she did not use gloves, a static-grounding wrist-strap or a grounding mat.   :)

*clap clap clap*

All I read was 99% Isopropyl, gloves and a static ground strap.

And the answer is yes she should have put new thermal paste when she re-assembled (some pastes have a burn in cycle too). There will be a shit fury if you don't :<. I know from first handle with a pentium 4 back in the day XD (stupid kids we were hahah).

• Like 1

Didn´t watch the video but how would heating up fix the card? It would "push electrons back to their position or solder broken wires or how it would work?"

I don´t use any mats\wires also when fiddling with my PC but I´ve noticed, that touching desks metal frame\central heating system gives me a spark. It means it works well grounding myself off static electricity before going after PC.

Also it should be noted that touching capacitors should be considered as real danger to ones life, applies more when replacing them. I´m not sure how much el. energy videocard board caps hold, but PSU caps certainly deal great harm, even when removed\desoldered for hours!

About the "collar" part, the GPU (Graphical Processing Unit vs CPU- Central Processing Unit) is mainly producing heat as byproduct and should be cooled down. I think the collar could be something like around the CPU, which is squeesed in the socket and might not be so important for cooling. One doesn´t apply paste on CPUs bracket?! Though the other thermal paste pads around GPU are very important as they transfer heat between elevated copper(by looks of it) plate on cooling part and VRAM(Video Random Access Memory)- it tends to heat up at least as much as GPU.

Anyways if the collar is there, it can be applied new thermal paste, but the trick is to not "apply it" in between the GPU and collar, where thermal paste could short circuit the socket.

Ok guys got a question???

I will be still needing to get a new graphics card can I run a Xfx 5970 black edition & msi Radeon amd r9 380 8GB in crossfire and putting the xfx 5970 black edition in pic-e slot 2 and run it in crossfire for less strain for its early retirement.

Not sure on the crossfire on graphics cards since I have always had one card any help on this one guys.

Thanks Plat00n

Ok guys got a question???

I will be still needing to get a new graphics card can I run a Xfx 5970 black edition & msi Radeon amd r9 380 8GB in crossfire and putting the xfx 5970 black edition in pic-e slot 2 and run it in crossfire for less strain for its early retirement.

Not sure on the crossfire on graphics cards since I have always had one card any help on this one guys.

Thanks Plat00n

after doing some research this would not work both cards need to be from the same series