Finally got fiberglass internet

ajnl

1392192965901.jpg

What's the cost?

f***in' jelly as all hell, man. Here in Canada, we're run by two **** monopolies of Rogers/Telus and Bell. Best you can get is 60Mbits down. 100 If you pay like $150/mo but it's rare.

Would love to see skynet (google) come here and put these dipshits out of business.

• Like 5

The inet-only 500/500 is about 60ish euros/month. Currently there's a special of XS4ALL that makes it about 40ish/month for the first 6 months (well to be fair, the first month is about 70ish with setup costs and the likes).

(60 euro is about ~70 US dollars)

That's the inet-only though, he might be using a different package.

---

It's without a doubt one of the best providers of NL - I'm waiting for a place to become available so I can move out and I'm also planning to take the Pro package from XS4ALL, it's been on my list for quite a while now hehe. Nonetheless mind sharing your opinion about XS4ALL? i.e. did you run into any issues? did everything go smooth? etc.

• Like 2

The inet-only 500/500 is about 60ish euros/month. Currently there's a special of XS4ALL that makes it about 40ish/month for the first 6 months (well to be fair, the first month is about 70ish with setup costs and the likes).

(60 euro is about ~70 US dollars)

That's the inet-only though, he might be using a different package.

---

It's without a doubt one of the best providers of NL - I'm waiting for a place to become available so I can move out and I'm also planning to take the Pro package from XS4ALL, it's been on my list for quite a while now hehe. Nonetheless mind sharing your opinion about XS4ALL? i.e. did you run into any issues? did everything go smooth? etc.

I've only been with them for a week. I find their customer service a bit lacking. I took the free installation too, but ended up not needing them. It is very simple to install yourself. Their website has a good tutorial.

There was a free router included, which can handle the speeds well. But I'd still rather have my router. So I'm going to look around and see if I can install my router instead.

1392192965901.jpg

What's the cost?

f***in' jelly as all hell, man. Here in Canada, we're run by two **** monopolies of Rogers/Telus and Bell. Best you can get is 60Mbits down. 100 If you pay like $150/mo but it's rare.

Would love to see skynet (google) come here and put these dipshits out of business.

It is just internet, exactly what w00tw00t said :). 40 euro/month for the first 6 months. The first month is about 75 euros, because of startup costs. Last 6 months is 60 euro/month. It includes a free router that can handle up to 1300Mbps

image_medium.jpg?1398169047

skynet-thumb.jpg

skynet please come to uk as well to give people a fair deal :P is it called google fiber now https://fiber.google.com/about/

anji there some amazing results on speedtest. Had to check the fibreglass internet in holland and there well a head in europe in uk the best we get is 152 down and 12 up and they use a thing called traffic managerment where they throttle the f*** out of the customers internet in prime hours and do not get me started on the jitters and max packets loss. Basically where all getting screwed and no one doing a thing about it.

Edited by =Plat00n=
  • Like 2

I've only been with them for a week. I find their customer service a bit lacking. I took the free installation too, but ended up not needing them. It is very simple to install yourself. Their website has a good tutorial.

There was a free router included, which can handle the speeds well. But I'd still rather have my router. So I'm going to look around and see if I can install my router instead.

They used to provide the best custom service then KPN took them over and sh't went downhill (I've heard that from some of their long-time customers).

The fr!tzboxes are generally pretty darn solid - is there any specific reason why you want to use your own?

They used to provide the best custom service then KPN took them over and sh't went downhill (I've heard that from some of their long-time customers).

The fr!tzboxes are generally pretty darn solid - is there any specific reason why you want to use your own?

Ah I didn't know they used to have the best customer service. They are the cheapest though ;)

My router is the ASUS RT-AC66U. It should be a little faster and it supports VPN.

I see. I thought the fritzbox had VPN capabilities as well; the other router seems pretty nice.

This might prove useful: https://www.xs4all.nl/service/diensten/internet/installeren-en-gebruiken/modem-instellen/hoe-kan-ik-een-ander-modem-dan-fritzbox-instellen.htm

Mind letting us know if it all works out?

Good luck!

I see. I thought the fritzbox had VPN capabilities as well; the other router seems pretty nice.

This might prove useful: https://www.xs4all.nl/service/diensten/internet/installeren-en-gebruiken/modem-instellen/hoe-kan-ik-een-ander-modem-dan-fritzbox-instellen.htm

Mind letting us know if it all works out?

Good luck!

Yeah I've been doing some research, and actually the fritzbox should be as fast. Another plus is the USB 3.0.

However I still like my router more lol. The fritz should also be able to support VPN, but I cannot find the VPN tab, so I might do some more research.

My router can't be used, since it isn't a modem. I didn't realize the fritz is a modem and router. So my idea was to turn the wireless signal off on the fritz, then connect my router to one of the ethernet ports on the fritz. That should work.

Yeah, the fritz is a modem & router in-one but you can set the fritzbox into 'bridge' mode - in which case, it's just a bridge. i.e. all traffic flows over it but your router will be the one that handles everything (your router will also be the one that will have your public IPv4 & v6 addresses; it'll do the firewalling, etc).

So what you really want is to use the bridge mode - but I do think you should consider this carefully, i.e. what are the upsides & downsides?

Personally I'm not sure what I would do yet. When I move out, I plan on getting the 500/500 too + an extra IPv4 subnet; then I'll drop all the servers I'm renting except for one - and I'll do a hot-failover with a server I'll be running from home; it'd save me a ton of money. I might replace the fritzbox and set up an enterprise appliance but I'm wondering if that really will be required.

This might be helpful: http://bluez.home.xs4all.nl/datatalk/fritzbox.htm

4.1 Router

1. Start your browser and surf to the router (at 192.168.0.1). 

2. Login. 

3. Switch to 'advanced view'. 

4. System / Fritz!Box Users 

5. Add user 

6. User account enabled: yes 

7. User name: 'username'. Email address: whatever. Password: whatever. 

8. Access from the Internet: no

When modifying an existing user this might be set to yes. If so, a remote user could access the router and change settings or use certain router functions, depending on the other options. This option is not affecting VPN access.

9. Rights: disable all except for VPN (unless the user needs other functions) 

10. Click the link 'Show VPN settings' at the bottom of the page.

A browser window pops up containing all required information. 

So what you really want is to use the bridge mode - but I do think you should consider this carefully, i.e. what are the upsides & downsides?

Personally I'm not sure what I would do yet. When I move out, I plan on getting the 500/500 too + an extra IPv4 subnet; then I'll drop all the servers I'm renting except for one - and I'll do a hot-failover with a server I'll be running from home; it'd save me a ton of money. I might replace the fritzbox and set up an enterprise appliance but I'm wondering if that really will be required.

Sweet, I didn't see the standard/advanced mode button. Thanks!

What downsides would there be to using bridge mode?

Sweet, I didn't see the standard/advanced mode button. Thanks!

What downsides would there be to using bridge mode?

I should have been more clear. I was referring to the upsides/downsides of using your own router, i.e. 2 devices consuming power [with bridge mode; but whether this is a pain point or not depends on power consumption of both devices and your own preferences]; XS4ALL support - i.e. they don't support anything but their own equipment; and so on.

Management wouldn't really be a problem - since you put the fritz in bridge and everything gets managed from the ASUS - be sure to firewall IPv6 though if not done by default. 

Alternatively, have you considered letting the two work in sync? With that I mean, having the ASUS be an access point where the wifi signal is weak and/or for additional lan-ports? Not sure if the asus can act as a DHCP forwarder? * of course, this all depends on how big your house/*tuin* is ;-)

I should have been more clear. I was referring to the upsides/downsides of using your own router, i.e. 2 devices consuming power [with bridge mode; but whether this is a pain point or not depends on power consumption of both devices and your own preferences]; XS4ALL support - i.e. they don't support anything but their own equipment; and so on.

Management wouldn't really be a problem - since you put the fritz in bridge and everything gets managed from the ASUS - be sure to firewall IPv6 though if not done by default. 

Alternatively, have you considered letting the two work in sync? With that I mean, having the ASUS be an access point where the wifi signal is weak and/or for additional lan-ports? Not sure if the asus can act as a DHCP forwarder? * of course, this all depends on how big your house/*tuin* is ;-)

Well I don't have a location in my apartment where the wifi signal is weak. Its just a 100m^2, with two floors.

Thanks for all the info. I'm just going to put the fritz in bridge mode.

Edited by ajnl

• Leader

Two-gigabit service is moving into my area via the Cable TV company.  I'm not sure why, as we are not that large of a city.  I guess that we are another "test area".

The bad news is the cost of $299/264 EU a month, with professional installation of professional equipment, which all sounds expensive.  The network will be built-out from their existing fiber-optic lines.

Maybe the cost will go down in the future and then I can subscribe, perhaps to a 1- or 0.5 giga-service at first.   :)

Mein Gott!  I just looked at their info page:  http://www.xfinity.com/multi-gig-offers.html and their "pricing and other info" page contains:

Gigabit Pro service generally available within one third of a mile of Comcast’s fiber network and 
requires custom installation. Installation may require 6 to 8 weeks or more to complete. Fees of up
 to $500 for installation and up to $500 for activation apply. Equipment, taxes and fees and other 
applicable charges extra. Pricing and other charges subject to change. Limited to service to a single
 outlet. Actual speeds vary and are not guaranteed.

OW!  OW! OW!  May cost up to $1000 to install, not including equipment and other costs?

I can only hope that when they get to my neigbhorhood, the costs are greatly reduced and that they have a self-install kit!  Fiber-optic from the pole to the house is never going to be "self-install", though.

Maybe they will end up with wireless transceivers on the poles.  :)

• Like 1