Finally got fiberglass internet

ajnl

• Leader

Guess this good for a business or high end apartment.i got just one level up from basic service my luck if i got better service id still lag XD

Elsewhere, it says that this is for residential service, which surprised the hell out of me.  Ah ha!  They will charge more for business services?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two-gigabit service is moving into my area via the Cable TV company.  I'm not sure why, as we are not that large of a city.  I guess that we are another "test area".

The bad news is the cost of $299/264 EU a month, with professional installation of professional equipment, which all sounds expensive.  The network will be built-out from their existing fiber-optic lines.

Maybe the cost will go down in the future and then I can subscribe, perhaps to a 1- or 0.5 giga-service at first.   :)

Mein Gott!  I just looked at their info page:  http://www.xfinity.com/multi-gig-offers.html and their "pricing and other info" page contains:

Gigabit Pro service generally available within one third of a mile of Comcast’s fiber network and 
requires custom installation. Installation may require 6 to 8 weeks or more to complete. Fees of up
 to $500 for installation and up to $500 for activation apply. Equipment, taxes and fees and other 
applicable charges extra. Pricing and other charges subject to change. Limited to service to a single
 outlet. Actual speeds vary and are not guaranteed.

OW!  OW! OW!  May cost up to $1000 to install, not including equipment and other costs?

I can only hope that when they get to my neigbhorhood, the costs are greatly reduced and that they have a self-install kit!  Fiber-optic from the pole to the house is never going to be "self-install", though.

Maybe they will end up with wireless transceivers on the poles.   :)

That's excessively expensive.

In NL, we don't have fiber everywhere (yet) but we do in most populated cities and the likes. Reggefiber (and possible other infrastructure providers) lay down the fiber lines _all the way to the time_ (FTTH, fiber to the home) and this is generally without cost to the person renting the house (afaik, most people in NL rent ; don't have metrics to back it up though) I'm unsure, but I'm guessing the corporation who actually owns the houses pays for the FTTH installation.

Then ISPs lease the fiber lines from the infrastructure providers (i.e. reggefiber) and provides the customer with a ONT (optical network terminal) and a modem. The fiber goes into the ONT, connectivity via (U|S)TP comes out to the modem and from there on you're all set.

So all in all - ~75 euro/m for 500 Mbit/s duplex is extremely cheap compared to xfinity's offering. You'd be better of with Google Fiber if it becomes available in your area - not just because it'll be cheaper for 1Gbit/s but I dare to bet that Google would provide better customer service than Comcast is known for.

Edited by w00tw00t