Beware of eBay Windows OS disks being sold there.

Ol Smoke

I am not an idiot and I researched this seller and his product.  But what has happened is a pure scam.

I bought (2) OEM disks with legit COA's from a 5 star seller on eBay.  I read the ad many times.  I contacted

the seller and was assured that the software was legit.  But, according to Microsoft it is not.  It looks and seems

legit to me.  I was a Microsoft point seller and I bought all my software from legit places.  When I got the two

packages, they seemed right.  Right down to the Holographic 3D images on the disks.  Well here is a lesson for

us all.  I got scammed by a pretty good reseller selling fake Chinese copies of Windows 7 64-bit Pro software.

As you may have been reading, I have been having a problem with my PC lately and decided to just put in a clean

drive and start over.  So I did.  But when I went to activate the software with Microsoft it would not.

I have spent a lot of time today in touch with Microsoft and through their system, learned that the activation key is

a one time spoof key that actually tricks Microsoft.  But, when I went to re-activate it,  it doesn't work.  So I am out

hundreds of dollars and have to re-build both of the PC's that I have with these fakes on it.  Unknown to me, Microsoft

shut down the seller on ebay who sold me these disks.  So I have to suck it up.  I bought two disks today with COA's

from an approved seller on Amazon.  $270.

So the least I could do was warn others about this problem.  So be careful out there.  Here is what Microsoft told me

about the OS software on eBay.

1.  It is not legal.

2.  If it says it has DELL on it, but works,  it is a lie.  It will not re-activate.

3.  If it has a COA that is not affixed to the COA guarantee paper that is printed by Microsoft, it is not a legal copy.

So don't think that saving $30 is worth it.

Now I know how those old people who get scammed out of their life's savings feel.  Ashamed and angry.

Yeah, I bought a similar Operating System Installation disc from Newegg online.

$100, I saved $40!, But It would not activate...

So the least I could do was warn others about this problem.  So be careful out there.  Here is what Microsoft told me

about the OS software on eBay.

1.  It is not legal.

2.  If it says it has DELL on it, but works,  it is a lie.  It will not re-activate.

3.  If it has a COA that is not affixed to the COA guarantee paper that is printed by Microsoft, it is not a legal copy.

So don't think that saving $30 is worth it.

1. Generally yes, buying software on eBay is a guaranteed trap.

2. As for Dell software, for one- those disks will only work on a Dell computer; ie: they are BIOS locked. Now if you had a Dell computer, that software should not require activation at all, because of the SLIC that's on the Dell BIOS. That's a sure sign it's a fake- if it required activation in the first place.

3. Or attached to a computer, but yes the COA generally has the product key as well as disc linking numbers.

As for saving the thirty bucks, look for "System Builder" versions. Available at Newegg, Amazon, Fry's Electronics... Otherwise, look for discounts by Microsoft or reputable brick and mortar stores.

Yeah, I bought a similar Operating System Installation disc from Newegg online.

$100, I saved $40!, But It would not activate...

All of Newegg's products are legal. Sometimes you need to call the product activation number, I've had several keys from discs, on computers, etc. not activate online. Now if that doesn't work, at the very end it will ask if you got any errors. Say "Yes" and it should redirect you to a person would can get you a new product key.

Buckwild

Call them back and tell them what is going on.  I would call Newegg also.

It all depends on what they tell you when it won't activate.  Remember what they say and write it down.  Then you can tell Newegg what Microsoft said.

Always tell them that it is for one PC only.  If they ask you about it, I tell them you changed hardware and decided to rebuild the system.

Some people buy Windows through stores that will take them back.  If the first person has activated the OS, then you are screwed.

Unless you can get the store to send you another COA from an unsold copy.

I had a hard time with Microsoft once when I built the system, then the motherboard went out only 2 weeks later.  I got a new MB and rebuilt again.

Microsoft wasn't going to activate it until I called them.

It was 5 Years ago...I returned the disc to Newegg.

Microsoft Activation asked Me where I bought the disc when it wouldn't activate.

Stories were all over the internet then about 'fake' installation discs being sold...