Relatively low fps on a great comp

joy

Hi, I've been playing on FA sparingly throughout the past year, and since you have a very active community I'm wondering if anyone can find what may cause FPS slowdowns.

A bit about me: I've been playing for 5 years, code my own configs, and am/was familiar with the comp scene in both na (made twl beta finals during the deathtouch season) and eu (<3 acozz.).

Until past July I was playing on a trashy old P4 with a Geforce6600 GS (not GT), and was generally able to hold the 76 fps. In july, I upgraded to:

AMD X3 720

4gb Mushkin DDR 3 @ 1600

HIS HD4870 512mb using Catalyst 8.12

Gigabyte UD3 Mobo

Win XP32 (using which loses 800mb of ram)

I don't run a lot of stuff in the bground - usually just an antivirus (currently ESET, used to be AVG) and keyboard/sound software. Disabling the antivirus has virtually no effect.

This computer runs Fallout3 and the Call of Duty games at about 60-70 fps at high detail (no AA, 1200x1024). Here's the kicker. Those FPS are higher than what I get in ET. I can't hold 76, let alone 125. I've tried extreme opposites of configs, for ex picmap3, gl_nearest_mipmap_near, r_mode 4, r_mapoverbrightbits 3 vs. picmap1 / gl_linear/ r_mode 8.

I've tried setting ET to use only 1 core. I've done about 3 clean installs of Windows so far.

I know the pb takes a huge hit on ET performance, and Radeon 4xxx series cards have trashy opengl support. But can it possibly have such a huge impact?

Does anyone have a similar set up and experiences the same problems? If you need more info, please ask.

I'd be forever grateful if anyone has an idea. Thanks.

• Administrators

Enable lagometer and post the screenshots. With help of lagometer I might be able to help.

It is also highly possible that when you set the affinity and if another process/task is carried on same core it effects the performance.

Hi, I've been playing on FA sparingly throughout the past year, and since you have a very active community I'm wondering if anyone can find what may cause FPS slowdowns.

A bit about me: I've been playing for 5 years, code my own configs, and am/was familiar with the comp scene in both na (made twl beta finals during the deathtouch season) and eu (<3 acozz.).

Until past July I was playing on a trashy old P4 with a Geforce6600 GS (not GT), and was generally able to hold the 76 fps. In july, I upgraded to:

AMD X3 720

4gb Mushkin DDR 3 @ 1600

HIS HD4870 512mb using Catalyst 8.12

Gigabyte UD3 Mobo

Win XP32 (using which loses 800mb of ram)

I don't run a lot of stuff in the bground - usually just an antivirus (currently ESET, used to be AVG) and keyboard/sound software. Disabling the antivirus has virtually no effect.

This computer runs Fallout3 and the Call of Duty games at about 60-70 fps at high detail (no AA, 1200x1024). Here's the kicker. Those FPS are higher than what I get in ET. I can't hold 76, let alone 125. I've tried extreme opposites of configs, for ex picmap3, gl_nearest_mipmap_near, r_mode 4, r_mapoverbrightbits 3 vs. picmap1 / gl_linear/ r_mode 8.

I've tried setting ET to use only 1 core. I've done about 3 clean installs of Windows so far.

I know the pb takes a huge hit on ET performance, and Radeon 4xxx series cards have trashy opengl support. But can it possibly have such a huge impact?

Does anyone have a similar set up and experiences the same problems? If you need more info, please ask.

I'd be forever grateful if anyone has an idea. Thanks.

That's a sweeter rig than mine.

How's your ping on the servers?

PB updated?

Enable lagometer and post the screenshots. With help of lagometer I might be able to help.

It is also highly possible that when you set the affinity and if another process/task is carried on same core it effects the performance.

I'm asking about FPS, not network. I'm on 20/5 FIOS with green lagometer.

That's a sweeter rig than mine.

How's your ping on the servers?

PB updated?

Pinging 80 to ETPub Recruiting server on 2.55. Ping 20 to a Chicago server- I'm in NY.

I'll try doing a manual PB update after, see if that helps anything.

- move to 2.06b

- update pb

- update drivers

- run a speedtest and pingtest (speedtest.com)

com_maxfps 125

2.6 is full of idiots - no thank you.

I've tried playing with virtually every driver version that supports 4870. No other games show any FPS problems.

Speedtest measures internet latency, not graphic stuttering. But sure - here's speakeasy speedtest to NY:

Download Speed: 19751 kbps (2468.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 5091 kbps (636.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Thanks!

• Administrators

I'm asking about FPS, not network. I'm on 20/5 FIOS with green lagometer.

If you get 15 snaps then you can't get much FPS. If your lagometer is smooth showing 20 snaps and stable green bar then I have no idea whats wrong.

It's just usually due to the mod and the amount of people in the server, in Jaymod I can't get a stable 100-125 FPS, it's always dropping to 40 and going everywhere and I have an E4500, 9800GT and 2GB of ram, yet in scrims of 3vs3 and 6vs6 in etpro my FPS is pretty stable at 125. But I also would like to know if there's some fix to improve fps in Jaymod etc

u can play F|A servers on 2.60b.

on 2.60b you lag less.

The other communities I frequent are all on 2.55. But that's not really the issue - with this rig I shouldn't have problems with FPS whether it's 2.55 or 2.6b. When I fire up 2.6 occasionally, it exhibits the same symptoms.

If you get 15 snaps then you can't get much FPS. If your lagometer is smooth showing 20 snaps and stable green bar then I have no idea whats wrong.
20/5 is the connection type - 20 mb down, 5 mb up.

It's just usually due to the mod and the amount of people in the server, in Jaymod I can't get a stable 100-125 FPS, it's always dropping to 40 and going everywhere and I have an E4500, 9800GT and 2GB of ram, yet in scrims of 3vs3 and 6vs6 in etpro my FPS is pretty stable at 125. But I also would like to know if there's some fix to improve fps in Jaymod etc

Hi - yeah, that's absolutely true, and may be the simple explanation. I just refuse to believe it - it doesn't make sense on certain levels. 3-4 years ago people were getting 125 stable FPS using Radeon 9800 pro - on 2.55 pubs. For craps sake, GeForce4 ti used to keep 50 fps for the most part.

Thanks for the help.

The other communities I frequent are all on 2.55. But that's not really the issue - with this rig I shouldn't have problems with FPS whether it's 2.55 or 2.6b. When I fire up 2.6 occasionally, it exhibits the same symptoms.

20/5 is the connection type - 20 mb down, 5 mb up.

Hi - yeah, that's absolutely true, and may be the simple explanation. I just refuse to believe it - it doesn't make sense on certain levels. 3-4 years ago people were getting 125 stable FPS using Radeon 9800 pro - on 2.55 pubs. For craps sake, GeForce4 ti used to keep 50 fps for the most part.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, stupid as hell that I get more FPS with med/high settings on Crysis than I do in a Jaymod server on a 6 year old game with a low graphics config :D

Old game, "processor only". The problem is apparently on your hardware, on processor. The best solution for ET would be 6ghz 1 core processor, decent graphic card and basic RAM.

You can try to set ET only for 1 core, PB on other etc. There is some programs for it, idk what and where cause I'm having pretty old computer, but still I'm getting usually about 70fps with my handmade low graphic cfg(76 usually, a bit larger areas it drops to 50-60. Btw r_mode or number of players doesn't affect for your fps, but r_mode affects how much hz you can set on your monitor).

Picture of my cfg:

b4%20mun%20cfg.JPG

i've had the same problem ever since i've played on servers with 40+ players allowed. and it's not my rig-amd dual core @ 2.66 ghz,nvidia 9500 gt, 2gb of ram and win 7. and in such games as cod 6 i get about 60-70 fps.i think it's just the mod and the amount of players there. on some etpro servers i'm getting a decent 105-140 fps.

Old game, "processor only". The problem is apparently on your hardware, on processor. The best solution for ET would be 6ghz 1 core processor, decent graphic card and basic RAM.

Ding ding ding! When the idtech 3 engine was written GFX accelerators hadn't been on the market for too long so a lot of people didn't have them. Multicore processing wouldn't hit the market for at least another 5 years. You would be better off running this game with parts that were top-of-the-line in 2005 than a brand new PC.

BTW most pros play with 76 or 125 FPS if I recall correctly. Anything over 76 won't really help your game all that much.

Edited by Number1Dad