WiFi router

Vanaraud

There came the need for WiFi router. Some say "Linksys WRT54GL" is a good choise even if its used one, but I wonder if the lifespan doesn´t end after 2-3y. At least some reviewers say it served them 1 or 3 years. Also I guess technology is advanced and there are faster chipsets\CPU´s out there for routers? Not that router manufacturers give any information about chipsets the routers are based on.

If I go with brand new one is there any particularly good ones?

Also I´ve been thinking to change the modem as its 5+ years old(dunno the exact age as it was in my place before me) and sometimes just goes crazy and eats 50% of packets(after restart its all ok again). My IPS uses apparently CISCO EPC3825 and some other models from EPC series. I wonder if its good enough or there are better solutions out there?

Hey! I know quite a bit about the WRT series, and I can say without a doubt that it's a great router, with great range. The only thing negative that I can say is that it's only Wireless g- or 54mbps. Wireless n, the current standard, has maximum potential speed for 300mbps. (Minus 5% for packet headers and what not). WPA2 is also hard on those WRT's... verrrrrrrrrrryyyyyy slllllloooowwwwww

Generally, the RAM and CPU don't matter. But if you want to buy a new wireless router, Netgear and Cisco would be the brands of choice. ASUS routers are extraordinarily unstable, as is anything made by ZyXel. Linksys is Cisco's cheap brand, I've had nothing but bad luck with their equipment.

Another great option is to get an older wireless router and put DD-WRT on it. :D Who says that something 3-5 years old HAS to be obsolete when you can re-flash it? ;)
I'm not sure what you've got for internet, or what modem you use, so I'm not sure how much I can help you there... I'm going to guess it's cable internet just because you're looking at the EPS series.
The EPC3825 is known for having some issues with the firmware most ISPs ship it with though, so I'd look at something else.

If you could provide a link with a list of the modems your ISP supports, I'd be more than happy to look at them all, and give you the ones that have the best reviews. :)

the best router come´s out of the house AVM

fritzbox_7490_big.jpg           http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN_7390/index.php

FRITZ!Box 7490

The FRITZ! 7490 brings the high-speed home network to any DSL connection with many extras and covers all your communication needs related to internet, telephony and network from. Latest Wireless AC ensures spectacular for Gigabit speeds up to 1.300 Mbit / s wireless home network. Advanced hardware architecture, lightning-fast gigabit LAN and high-performance USB ports make the perfect high-speed network. Equipped with the comprehensive features of FRITZ! OS FRITZ! Ideal headquarters for your smart home.

Suitable for ADSL (6 Mbit / s), ADSL2 + (16 Mbit / s) and VDSL (100 Mbit / s)
     802.11ac WLAN wireless networks according (to 1300 MBit / s, 5 GHz) 802.11n (up to 450 MBit / s, 2.4 GHz), backward compatible with wireless 802.11g, b and a
     Wi-Fi and DECT Eco for optimal performance with minimal power consumption
     Factory secure WLAN and DECT encryption and firewall default
     4 x Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000 Base-T) for connecting computers and games consoles
     Existing Internet access via LAN or WLAN joint use (guest access)
     Voip NAS - simple browser access to all files on the network, regardless of the location
     Media Server distributes music, images and movies to suitable receiver (SMB, FTP, UPnP AV)
     5 Answering including voice-to-email
     Supports HD telephony for natural sound
     Fax including e-mail forwarding (fax-to-mail)
     Supports the new Internet protocol IPv6
     Secure remote access via the Internet (VPN)
     Numerous additional and enhanced functions
     Average Power Consumption: 9.3 Watts

FRITZ!Box 7490

I recommend one of these   http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/index.html

or

FRITZ!Box 7390 with dual wlan B)

Greetings Play

I think they also have the best firewall and best support that you can have

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the answers.

After posting remembered I forgot to write that ISP provides connection through coaxial cable with F-connector. The speed is limited by chosen packet to 10mbit\s so g-wifi standard should be enough.

Edit: again forgot, ISP provides dynamic IPs.

• 3 months later...

Apology if there is a different topic more appropriate. Working from my phone and this was what came up in my search.

My modem/router took a dump. It was a 2wire 550. Need suggestions for a new one. AT&T says it has to be one of theirs or a Motorola from BestBuy.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Some more information about the different hardware for different providers.

There are two parts to a router:
1.) The modem (which establishes the connection to the internet)
2.) The router itself (connect multiple computers, WIFI, etc.)

Cox, TimeWarner etc. use the TV outlet to transport the signal. So you need a Kabel Modem. Current standard is DOCSIS 3.0 (example modem)
You connect the modem with the TV outlet. Now you can connect a router. The router needs a 'wan port' so you can connect it with the modem. (example router)

AT&T uses the phone outlet to transport the signal. The current standard is ADSL2+ which covers speeds up to 24 Mbit/s. That means you need a ADSL2+ Modem Router (example router).
The router itself contains the modem so you just need one device.

I'm a COX customer and that's my current setup:
[TV outlet] --> [Netgear Kabel Modem] --> [Netgear N600 Router] --> [Computer]

I hope I could bring some light into the tunnel.

redy.

Edited by redy.