New graphics card and Power Supply

Shinobi

Whats up guys.. I was looking into moving my cpu into a bigger case and upgrading my graphics card as well as power supply. I am not currently in my home town so I am not able to tell you the exact components I have now but some suggestions would be amazing. Thanks a bunch!

Whats your budget?

I think Titan is waste of money: ATI HD 7970 or even better nVidia´s GTX 760 is out.

I ´d go with 750W high efficiency 80+ or better PSU, also modular wires are a must(you can remove wires from PSU and leave as many as its needed). The higher efficiency the more it goes to powering PC and less on heat loss inside the PSU. About moving to larger case? Did it and haven´t tested it with Crysis3 with higher room temperature yet but on normal conditions didn´t gain anything: CPU and graphics are still noisy and hot. Maybe temps doesn´t jump anymore higher with higher room temp but I doubt. I´d got now with silent cases and better CPU cooling solution.

Anyways check how long graphics card you get and how long your current\future case fits.

Can't suggest without knowing some basics.

I think i have a basic NVIDIA Geforce 9200 nothing big. I need to upgrade my case though because I am working with a small Hp Pavillion. Smoke says Hps are really hard to work with due to the drives but im still trying.

Whats your budget?

I think Titan is waste of money: ATI HD 7970 or even better nVidia´s GTX 760 is out.

I ´d go with 750W high efficiency 80+ or better PSU, also modular wires are a must(you can remove wires from PSU and leave as many as its needed). The higher efficiency the more it goes to powering PC and less on heat loss inside the PSU. About moving to larger case? Did it and haven´t tested it with Crysis3 with higher room temperature yet but on normal conditions didn´t gain anything: CPU and graphics are still noisy and hot. Maybe temps doesn´t jump anymore higher with higher room temp but I doubt. I´d got now with silent cases and better CPU cooling solution.

Anyways check how long graphics card you get and how long your current\future case fits.

Thanks Van, and yeah budget was a really big deal. I am not the richest person in the world right now but I am willing to pay if it is worth it. I will check all that out online.

GTX 760 :  http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760

Edited by Shinobi

Amazon has a HIS IceQ 6950, used, for $186.

Same card I use, and I paid like 300 bucks when it was new.

If you want a new card, 7850 runs around 200.

Nvidia Titan, ofc.

LOL why would you suggest a top spec GPU and one which is not even designed for gaming.

Don't go for the GTX700 series yet as they are overpriced because they are new, while the 600 (i.e. GTX 660-680) range is still good quailty and going down in price! There is a fair improvement between GTX660 and 670 so if you can cough up the extra money then get it. Brand wise it is up to you but ASUS is a premium, ASRock, MSI and Gigabyte are all decent quality but it boils down to personal preference and patriotism lol.

PSU wise, 600-700W seems to be ok for pretty much any rig that is not going ot be overclocked - i.e. for general purpose and gaming using non-multiple GPUs (i.e. SLI/Crossfire). Yes, higher quality PSU is good as less power is lost due to heat (i.e. higher efficiency), however, what many people forget is that this is based on loading. If your load is 450-500W then there wont be much difference in terms of efficiency between two quality type PSUs (for example Corsair TX650 and HX650). The thing is, modular PSUs allow for cable detachment so the HX650 is modular, while the TX650 is not - this becomes a personal preference.

Nvidia tried to bridge the gap between GPUs desigend specifically for 3D modelling and gaming with the TITAN range. It used to be (still is I think) that the Quadro series was desigend for 3D modelling but they tried to introduce a high end gaming GPU (TITAN) that could do both - see the following http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-opencl-cuda-workstation,3474.html.

It basically boils down to GPU drivers and clock-speed (i.e. processing power).

P.S. Sorry, yes this GPU is a gaming GPU but not solenly designed for gaming - if you know what I mean. My bad. Anyways, IMO its overpriced when you compare it to GTX770 and 780.

P.P.S. Just found these:

TITAN vs GTX770 (http://www.hwcompare.com/14626/geforce-gtx-titan-vs-geforce-gtx-770/) (http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-TITAN-vs-GeForce-GTX-770)

TITAN vs GTX780 (http://www.hwcompare.com/14119/geforce-gtx-titan-vs-geforce-gtx-780/) (http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-TITAN-vs-GeForce-GTX-780)

Edited by Death_Reincarnated

• 2 weeks later...

First thing to do is thinking about what you are willing so spend, at least I do it that way when upgrading hardware. Then you will have already a limited range to select from. Then think about what you want do to with it or what games you want to play mainly. Then google some game/card specific benchmarks and just buy the best performing model for your needs.

From my experience buying the most recent top model is usually a waste of money, you will get the top models of the last or second last generation for a fraction of the price and they usually do the job if you are not going to play every new game with extremely high resolutions + 16x AA and stuff. If money doesn't matter that's no issue ofc ;)

Never be stingy when buying power supplies when you have high wattage components in your PC. Better buy a 600W quality PSU for 30 bucks more than those 1000W cheapy noname brands, they will blow in no time and won't deliver stable outputs, and you will have an unstable system. Again just google the rough amount of maximum power consumption of your components, add 20% safety margin and then look up some reviews and tests.

For the same price you can SLI two 680'S Which do better than a titan. Although I would suggest 770 same price as the 680 with better performance.

That depends highly on the game and not every game is scaling well with SLI. You will have double the price for your cards, will have double the heat and you will need a powerful and expensive PSU. You will never have double the performance, but increased input lag and microstutters in most games. Nice for benchmarks but still glitchy in real gaming. I think SLI has still more cons than pros.