ET is still power hungry

Vanaraud

Noticed today over long time as jay2 had more players than 15 vs 15 that I got FPS lags on my IB, so OC-d it to 4.1Ghz and only then a 10y old game didn´t lag at 76 stable FPS... This game is just more power hungry than Crysis 3 :P

Nope I´m using good or even best image quality as I upgrade my PC, thats the whole point of upgrading, isn´t it?;) Not to use some grappy 600x800 contrast settings just to pwn more.. maybe

If thats what you meant.

Not sure what you are doing, but I can run 125fps stable on any pc in the house at 1920*1080

Can't remember the last time I played w:et on fps lower than 125 :P (probably the last time I had the random frame drops for no apparent reason)

Hell, even on the 3-4 year old pc of my dad I could get 125fps stable.

• Clan Friend

In oasis with too many players (some areas only): 30fps :mad:

I move my mouse and the game follows after 1 year... I guess it's because my cpu is crap, my graphics card says 24% usage when I run an ET benchmark as fast as possible with /timedemo 1, unbalanced pc ftw...

but I don't wanna buy a new one just for a game, if this is working. And cpus for that socket are hard to find...

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

[cut]

model name    : Intel® Core™2 CPU          6300  @ 1.86GHz :mad:

I can't even overclock because where I live it's ultrahot in summer

Have u set et usage to high if using windows? cause et uses only one core in windows system or are u playing linux? If linux then it uses all cores. I try et in my crappy thinkpad t61 2ghrz with intel crap card and xp 32 and it runs good and over 80fps in oasis. So prob is some where else than hw. So might be some basic mb drivers or someting else.

Masa_1964

Same on jay3, seems more like server performance issue. The upper bar of the lagometer starts showing yellow spikes as soon as there are more than 20 players online (and everyone has them). With 30 players it's basically unplayable.

but I don't wanna buy a new one just for a game, if this is working. And cpus for that socket are hard to find...

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

[cut]

model name    : Intel® Core2 CPU          6300  @ 1.86GHz <--- that's why :mad::mad:

Socket 775? You can get them for peanuts @ ebay :)

• Clan Friend

Have u set et usage to high if using windows? cause et uses only one core in windows system or are u playing linux? If linux then it uses all cores. I try et in my crappy thinkpad t61 2ghrz with intel crap card and xp 32 and it runs good and over 80fps in oasis. So prob is some where else than hw. So might be some basic mb drivers or someting else.

Masa_1964

I use Linux. Without any players, just moving around in spec, I get 57fps in the worst case (which is still crap), and 125 in some (many) areas.

On a server full of players it's a different story...

the processor number changes frequently, but it uses only 1 core, it just switches between cores all the time, usage is always 93-94%

$ ps -p `pgrep -x et.x86` -L -o pid,tid,psr,pcpu

PID TID PSR %CPU

4286 4286 1 93.9

confining ET to core #2 and all the rest to core #1 (using kernel cpuset feature), still 92% usage. I wonder why not 100% :P

And while having 57 fps in oasis:

$ aticonfig -i --odgc --odgt --adapter=all | grep load

GPU load : 20%

:mad::mad:

edit:

enabling catalyst A.I. I get 80 fps and gpu usage goes to 30% (lol), the problem is that it uses both cores 100% and I have mouse lag, plus the cpu would fry, so I prefer it as it is now. The best thing would be to buy a new mobo+cpu+ram and use the same graphics card

Edited by SunLight

Hm what I do is using high graphic settings, set com_hunkmegs, maxfps, maxpackets, so basicly default settings. And I don´t use antivirs etc. Only ET and 17vs 17 at default CPU Task Manager showed 4th core at max, so OC-d and now its below max. And even with 20 vs 20 no lag. So its not the server\connection but CPU which gets beaten up. Got 3-4 old CPU few month back and got huge lag on 20 vs 20, now no lag. And the purpose of opening this topic was to tell that server isn´t blamed for lag. I play in jay2 from Europe with around 140 ping.

And to Sunlight: yep my graphics is also at 20% or even lower so graphics can stay. Though changing graphics gives performance boost also, dunno why its so if its only 20% but still.

• Clan Friend

Got 3-4 old CPU few month back and got huge lag on 20 vs 20, now no lag. And the purpose of opening this topic was to tell that server isn´t blamed for lag. I play in jay2 from Europe with around 140 ping.

Well, if there is yellow on top of lagometer, how do you explain it, if not by internet lag? (could be server side, or client side)

On a multicore cpu even if the game gets 1 core to 100%, there is still other cores to do other system stuff, so I doubt it could interfere with network drivers and other things.

I could make a lan server with 50 bots on oasis or fueldump, and probably I would get very low fps but no yellow (didn't try but I'm quite sure)

It's anyhow confusing when people are talking of "fps lag". You can have low fps or fps drops in certain places and there can be network lag, server or client related.

If I play on jay3 with 30 people my fps are constant 125 on most maps, but lagometer shows me yellow spikes on the upper line (which are the server snapshots send to you) in regular intervals, meaning server snapshots are dropped or didn't arrive in time and the client is predicting what happens. That makes the gameplay jerky and it may look like low fps ;)

• Clan Friend

yes, 'fps drops' or 'low fps' would probably be the right term, maybe with fps lag people mean periodic big drops in fps, which temporarily freeze the game

I get yellow too in jay3, I even used a positive nudge to make it all blue, and I thought I was hitting better (but with a higher ping) dunno if it's placebo, though... :)

On etpro timenudge (positive or negative) makes you miss, on jaymod I don't know... anyway when I spray bullets randomly, even something that moves enemy hitboxes could be hard to notice :P