Happy birthday, Web! Public Internet turns 20 today!

Chameleon

In 1989, Tim Berners-Lee developed a technology to help physicists in universities and institutes around the world share information. On April 30, 1993, the European science agency CERN where Berners-Lee worked, officially made Berners-Lee's W3                  software public domain, letting the public at large access it.

Read More: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/04/30/happy-birthday-web-public-internet-turns-20-today/?intcmp=features

• Leader

I remember the time when I could have said "I did the entire internet what now"

You could get onto the Internet that early in it's life?

Did you use Archie, Veronica, Jughead and Gopher?  or earlier tools?

My first access was through CompuServe, long before AoL ate it up.

• Like 1

I was on around 94/95  had to dial in on a long distance number that cost me about 2 bux a minute haha.. That didn't last long needless to say lol

I remember the time when I could have said "I did the entire internet what now"

Hahaha yeah, some may not believe it but that is a very true statement lol

• Leader

World’s first web page brought back from the dead for 20th anniversary

http://bgr.com/2013/04/30/first-website-anniversary-cern/
April 30, 2013  at 3:35 PM

Today marks a hugely important day in the history of the Internet: On April 30th, 1993, Al Gore published the world’s first ever public website. Ok, so perhaps Mr. Gore wasn’t involved, but today is indeed the 20th anniversary of the World Wide Web becoming available to the public. Tim Berners-Lee and his team at CERN headed the WWW project and published the world’s first public web page at http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html. To celebrate the 20-year milestone, CERN decided to bring the page back online in its original form. The resurrection of the world’s first web page is part of a larger effort at CERN to revive the web’s early history, and the page is now live for everyone to enjoy.
=========
AND: The classic hyper-text links work. (uh, down to a certain level).

In the Software Products Link, there is a Line Mode Browser project:

(*

This program gives W3 readership to anyone with a dumb terminal. Not as flashy as a windows implementation, it covers a wide class of users who do still not have window facilities, and is a general purpose information retrieval tool.

*)

LOL, get your WWWeb in ASCII text !  It looks like there were no graphics on web-pages, anyway.

• Leader

Wow doesn't even seem like it's been around that long.

O'rly?  It's three months older than you are!  (Or, what you claim on your profile)