261 mpg Volkswagen XL1 on sale this year.

Chameleon

Volkswagen has toyed with the idea of cigar-shaped ultra-eco cars for some time now, but a production car is finally on the way.

The Volkswagen XL1 is a plug-in diesel hybrid with a body seemingly beamed in from a future time

It's the physical representation of the benefits of reducing weight and improving aerodynamics. The small body may only take two people, but it's allowed for an incredibly streamlined body with a drag coefficient of only 0.189.

Low weight--only 1,752 lbs--means only a small engine and electric motor is needed to deliver respectable performance. Much of the car is constructed from carbon fiber, aluminium and titanium.

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=features

made in Germany :D

I love the Germans for their engineering beauty. Honestly you guys have my kinda taste.

Now this car isn't a beauty.. But it's another ground-breaking invention by VW. I am a huge fan of VW ^_^

Edited by Chuckun

I love the Germans for their engineering beauty. Honestly you guys have my kinda taste.

Now this car isn't a beauty.. But it's another ground-breaking invention by VW. I am a huge fan of VW ^_^

I concur 100%

I will stick to my 305HP, gas guzzling V6 in my Chevrolet Impala.

Word. US muscle cars are legit. German = porsche, bmw, mercedes... VW MEH! :D Well they bought lamborghini and I feel like they lessened the brand.

Edit: well shit. they own porsche and ducati. To me its like honda but not as well made... That is just my opinion...

Wikipedia: Volkswagen Group sells passenger cars under the Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen marques; motorcycles under the Ducati brand; and commercial vehicles under the MAN, Scania and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles marques.[13] It is divided into two primary divisions, the Automotive Division and the Financial Services Division, and consists of approximately 340 subsidiary companies.[14] The company has operations in approximately 150 countries and operates 94 production facilities across 24 countries. It holds a 19.9% non-controlling shareholding in Suzuki and has two major joint-ventures in China - FAW-Volkswagen and Shanghai Volkswagen.

Anti you petrol headed nub this is about an environmentally friendly eco-car not a speedracer! :P

@Tulsa I dont think VW own ducati.. Do you mean bugatti?

Anti you petrol headed nub this is about an environmentally friendly eco-car not a speedracer! :P

@Tulsa I dont think VW own ducati.. Do you mean bugatti?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/18/audi-ducati-idUSWEA836920120418

I had no idea they owned so many brands...

Oh wow.. That explains why the newest Ducati Multistrada has Audi's adaptive suspension on it (first ever motorbike to have such a thing - they even got rid of Ohlins as standard, just for this!).. Yikes, my friend with a 20k ducati wont be happy.