How much do you customize your browser

Jefke

This subject has arose multiple time in discussions with friends of me (me defending firefox vs chrome) => during webdesign class: just to put it in context XD

Now I'm curious how far people go in customizing their webbrowser for their preference.

Personally I go pretty far (see screenshot :P)

Plugins running:

- Adblock Plus (and Adblock Plus Helper) with custom ruleset only blocking moving ads, background banners and popup ads

- Flashblock (firefox supports this without plugin, but I like the plugin more)

- Ghostery: I like the feeling of not being tracked

- Mozilla Labs: Prospector - LessChrome HD 7 : hides adressbar

=> altered the code of this one to instant popup the adressbar and not show it when hovering over tabs with mouse

- Dictionaries: French/English/Dutch (Dutch being the default one)

- Stylish/Greasemonkey: to convert white websites into dark themed websites (or make the forum pink XD)

Themes:

- FT deepdark 4.5 (awesome dark theme for firefox)

So how far do you go with altering the browser ^^

Browser1.png

I use IE10. Don't care about add-ons, although Visual Studio installed one. The only thing I change is the favorite bar.

And yes, IE is terrible according to you all. But it is faster than Firefox and Opera, and I do not want to use Chrome.

• Like 1

I use IE10. Don't care about add-ons, although Visual Studio installed one. The only thing I change is the favorite bar.

And yes, IE is terrible according to you all. But it is faster than Firefox and Opera, and I do not want to use Chrome.

Yeah, it is... :trolololo:

And faster: well, personally I don't care about 0.8s loading time or 1.3s (random numbers, can't be much difference)

I can't be bothered to test IE10, IE f***ed me over too much in the past :s

Random test loading tweakers.net and twitter.com (which tends to take a while on waterfox/firefox): I can't notice a big difference between loading times in IE and waterfox

=> Yes, I loaded it a couple of times to make it fair and have it in both browsers in cache and I realise that one little test says nothing...

I'm just glad if they improved on html5, making my life easier :P

I agree with not using chrome though :P

• Like 2

Opera 12.11

Adblock plus

Antigate

youtube add free

I had alot of other extensions but then I delete them , and not too customized.. just a little tweaked out

Firefox (17.0.1):

• adblock plus
  • colorzilla
  • DoNotTrackMe
  • Firebug
  • HTitle
  • Pixlr Grabblr
  • SmoothWheel
  • Tile Tabs
  • Greasemonkey
  • Stylish
  • Vimperator
  • Webdeveloper

And about the speed difference in IE and other browsers, it's really low - it isn't even noticeable unless you regularly have several browser windows with 100+ tabs open. I find that Chrome handles it nicely, FireFox nowadays too (slightly less). IE.. don't care, using Linux (no wine!).

Firefox with the dark theme to it. I keep my most important/ frequently used sites at the top in the bookmark bar. Only have 2 addons installed Adblock plus and DoNotTrack.

firefoxcm.png

I totally forgot one:

SwitchToTabNoMore => disable that bloody aweful switch to tab instead of opening new tab 'feature'

Being in firefox sinc firefox 4 and I hate it since then :P

Firefox with DownThemAll, CSSViewer, LastPass, Xmarks. That is all. Dont prefer eyecandy addons.

Now I'm curious why you use the cssviewer, thought that was allready build in firefox itself (can't remember the exact hotkey though).

Just curious and I'm not really busy with webdeveloping that I really need css often (got about 5 websites I take care of, but don't have to develop shit for them atm )

Also downthemall never worked properly for me :(

And yeah, don't like eyecandy either, most of the time I use addons to remove eyecandy :P

I totally forgot one:

SwitchToTabNoMore => disable that bloody aweful switch to tab instead of opening new tab 'feature'

Being in firefox sinc firefox 4 and I hate it since then :P

Any particular reason you dislike this function? I absolutely love it, saves me loads of time finding a tab.

Any particular reason you dislike this function? I absolutely love it, saves me loads of time finding a tab.

Cause if I type in a link, I know that I want a new tab. Don't need to be redirected to a tab that is by change already open...

+ I got in a single window at max 10 tabs open anyway, so never have to search XD

Cause if I type in a link, I know that I want a new tab. Don't need to be redirected to a tab that is by change already open...

+ I got in a single window at max 10 tabs open anyway, so never have to search XD

Oke :P was just wondering ;-)

I often open tabs and leave them be - after a few days I always seem to end up with multiple browser windows and hundreds of tabs - so the function itself is very useful for me.